Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

What modivates you to make a game (aka why do you do it)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A more serious response is that I want to direct movies some day, making OHR movies is like making movies with a limited set of tools. For example, my actors all need to be guided hand in hand through their scenes, they deliver the dialogue in a wooden manner (When placement of commas is all you have for dramatic speech, you don't have much), I can only use two camera angles, top down (although it's a favorite of the great Martin Scorsese, he's never done an entire film with just top down) and side view (Although I can pan to my heart's content), the casting director has a fetish for midgets, and I have to build every prop and set from scratch all by my lonesome. I also have the world's worst choreography and cinematography for the fight scenes, as I can only look at it from one view, and the characters can only do one two frame move and one one frame move, and the badguys prefer to keep their bodies stiff even when leaping into the air or spinning in wild circles. Wow, this is LESS serious than my other post.

http://www.castleparadox.com/forum/gamelist-display.php?game=620
Sephyroth
Renegade Rebel Redmage
Class A Minstrel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of things motivate me to make OHR games, like recognition in the community (hopefully Rolling Eyes ), the fun that comes from certain parts of making a game (NOT the battle gfx!! Those are EVIL! EVIL!!!), and the hope of making something that other people might enjoy (Hah! Fat chance!!)
ChocoSOLDIER
Ghost haunting the board

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am motivated to make games by the simple fact that I enjoy the satisfaction of a job well done. I also do it because I have nothing better to do. It's my hobby.
Time Traveler
Time Galactic Power!!!

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What motivates me to make a game is my desire to create something from ideas I have. I also enjoy playing games. I'm going for a degree in Computer Science now so I can make games. >Big grin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
]asongm

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What motivates me?

I like to express storys I had since childhood, making comic books at an early age, watching those old Dungeon & Dragons cartoons from the early 80s, Star Wars, Indiana Jones trilogy, Lord of the Rings (The books actually), also playing the NES/SNES Final Fantasy & Dragon Warrior series helps motivate what I want in a great story/game.

Im still in the process of building my first game (going on year 3 now..), But the end result will be a blast & im looking forward to hear the communitys thoughts on it (If it ever comes out!)
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make games because all my life, I've always gotten ideas that I just had to get out somehow, and to this day, it still happens!
I make games, because for now, it's the only way to get my ideas to come to life. I'm trying to move into animated film, but I'm too bogged down with current projects!

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
DemocraticAnarchist
Sleep Deprived

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 12:35 pm    Post subject: Heh... Reply with quote

Im not sure.
:flamedevil:
I want to eventually got paid for doing it, and i want to get some practice in early ^_^
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest if you actually want to get paid for making games, learn programming, because you'll basically never get anything published you made with a 'game maker' engine (unless you want it to end up in the bargain bin as soon as it arrives at the store). OHR's still great for learning the finer aspects of game design, though...

But seriously, never make anything except on the OHR. They're one of the few kinds of games that my buggy computer can play. Seriously, the computer's RAM and hard drive aren't that bad, and it has all the latest software, it's just buggy as shit and it can't do many simple functions, like 'sound,' for instance.
Bob360
Rusty Vet

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make games for the shock and education that the veiwers will get when they play my game...

what i mean is i try and educate the player by taking life and presenting it in the oddest and at times the most offensive way possible and tying it into some crazy story. Also i want to do this for a living...
A hundred pound man could beat a 300 pound man
-Bruce Lee
DemocraticAnarchist
Sleep Deprived

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Yah Reply with quote

BlazesBattleInc: Ive been learning C for about a month. I wanted to use the ohr first cos it has some of the basic ideas etc of C without the insane syntax.
Btw, anyone know how to use pointers correctly? They're insane to understand! What?!?!
Gaia Paladin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2003 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well maybe some just get bored with playing games and decide to make their own. This may seem to them like creating their own world. Or perhaps living out their dreams through their creations.

[CNN would like to note that nobody pays attention to any of these at all] --- Thank you for watching CNN
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make games because I like my stories too much to not make them into anything more than an idea in my head. I'd like to have a visual interpretation of my stories, and I'm not familiar with Flash or Photoshop, but I am familiar with OHR, thus it is the medium I use. I may eventually break out into these other mediums, but not just yet.

Another reason I do this is because I like to plotscript. Stressful though it may be to look the single, stupid bug that's keeping everything from working, I thrive on that search. It makes me feel alive.

In other words, I'm a very bored and insane man.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ZhugeBrett
Imperator

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I make games because it makes me more attractive to the artsy chicks.
Eggie

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What motivates me to make a game? The fact that I want to. Period.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means WHY do you want to.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: