Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

A Story for the Ages

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 2:16 am    Post subject: A Story for the Ages Reply with quote

Once upon a time there was a young man who found fancy in a beautiful young woman, and wanted with all his might to win her affections. But after many painful attempts to make himself worthwhile, he figured that he would be happy just to win her attention. Ages passed, and oh did he fight for his prize, but the story that unfolded took a turn that no one expected. This brave young man who started with nothing, did something that no one expected. He lived a tale that was soon destined to become legend.

And though his story may sound like a fantastical fairy tale, the fact of the matter is that his story isn't so far from the truth. In fact, if you search down deep enough, you'll discover that this young man's story is actually your own.

At the Risk of Manipulation

Come experience the wonder of the tale that isn't so far from the truth.

From the creator of The Adventures of Powerstick Man and Tightfloss Maiden.

The Adventures of Powerstick Man: Extended Edition

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

Currently Updating: Chapter 2
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
3m strips
command adhesive

PostPosted: Tue Dec 28, 2004 10:54 pm    Post subject: d Reply with quote

jesus said to joseph come forth and i shall give u eternal life joseph came fith and won a toaster
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so has anyone played this yet? I can see that it's been downloaded, but does anyone have any comments to make--preferably something a little less random than the toaster comment stated above?

And while I have your attention, I just want to make sure that you have the most recent version since the initial release and the first update contained a couple bugs that took away from the experience. The version that's up right now is pretty bug-free.

There will be another update eventually, but I want to gauge the feeling of the game's tone and style for now. I also want to know if you feel connected or disconnected to the characters. I'd also like to know if the game in general makes any sense.

And to reiterate the control point--the button presses should be done in succession, not at once. Think of each button press as an activation system for a new menu. I'll be adding more dialogue to eliminate confusion in the next update, but for now, just know that you don't have a time limit between button presses. If you get the NPCs attention with "M," you have plenty of time to decide which number to press for the action, and plenty of time after that to decide which letter to press for the mannerism. I know this wasn't clear before, so I'm making it clear now. You don't have to rapid-fire your keypresses. Just take them one at a time in succession ("M", any number 1-4, any letter A-D). The gameplay will work if you keep this in mind. And don't forget that certain things will only happen when you reach a certain popularity score (which can be viewed by pressing "S").

So, tell me what you think if you have an opinion about it. Please be constructive if you can. Thanks.

EDIT: Oh, and The Adventures of Powerstick Man broke 1000 downloads today, so l33t or sw33t or whatever the heck you people say around here. [*pepsiranger not too hip with the internet lingo]

Currently Updating: General sweep of the game world and dialogue boxes. Adding extended maps.

Tightfloss Maiden

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, after writing down what all the key do on a piece of paper, I takled the game again.

Basically, I loved it. The manipulation system was fun, and dynamic, and required problem solving. My biggest disappointment was that it wasn't longer, but for just 3 characters, it managed to pull more play time (read: more than none) than I expected (especially since I lost the first time) still, it's great, and while it's great, I'll want more. If it's very long though, I think the ability to save at some point would be nice.

Yes, the introduction was a bit tiring, partly because it was mostly text on a black background, and partly because it started to get confusing and wasn't actually explaining any plot. But it did fit the theme well.

The only bug I encountered was that if you manipulate an npc while they are moved, they become non aligned with the tiles, but this creates no other problems. I have the most recent version, according to the update date on the download.

YAY powerstick man

Last edited by TMC on Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't figure out how to get past the first screen. The loser slideshow was hilarious, though.
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Moog on this one.
Long but great intro, but I couldn't seem to do enough on the first screen to get past the bodyguard. Possibly the avatar choice would effect that. I started with Tobey Macguire and didn't really try any others (my computer stopped working the following morning, see).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started with that character as well, but though I lost the first time, by then I had figured out how to proceed. Well, I think you're missing out if try it with another character (except screech), because if you do that, the game will be shorter as some of the manipulation will already be done for you.

I really wished there was a save point after the intro though.

EDIT: typo fix

Last edited by TMC on Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the character I chose, too.
Renegade Rebel Redmage
Class A Minstrel

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow. It can't just be a coincidence. It has to be a conspiracy.

And also, I can't get the damn janitor to clear the path, so no first-screen passification for me.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the only screen :( It needs to be waayy longer. It seemed longer than it was because of that huge intro.

PS: You need a rating of 20 to get the janitor to clear the debris

PPS: Oh yes, and finally, I think the instructions to play should be put in the game. Like, a textbox that comes up and tells you what each of A-D and 1-4 do
Pepsi Ranger
Reality TV Host

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, and I didn't even have to manipulate you to choose Tobey Maguire...heh.

Just for your information, the Tobey Maguire selection was originally going to be the only playable character for the contest version because each character will ultimately have his own arena, with Tobey's being the city block, which you played. So, I don't think it is mere coincidence that you all chose his portrait. I think it may also be that he is the most identifiable character than the others (can anyone here really say he's like Austin Powers?).

I'll consider the save point option for the larger release. I can see where that might be helpful.

To address the in-game instructions idea, I actually considered creating an item that shows a picture of the instructions when activated (i.e. the photo of a guy's hand holding the sheet of paper with the instructions on it), but I ran out of time, so I didn't implement it yet. I will soon though.

Yes, each arena will be longer. Again it was strictly a time issue for the contest version. Each NPC takes half a day to create, and as many of you know, I don't have that kind of time to spend in one month for a more complete version right now. Three was actually pushing it. Those with a keen eye will realize that the bouncer is incomplete at the moment. Each character has twelve possible responses in the character building option (button "1"), but the bouncer only has four at the moment. So, it's even shorter than you realize. The city block in its current form is also a majorly scaled down version of the arena I have in mind for the next update. The full-size city block will likely be about eight times the size of the current block, so you guys will get your fill. And there will be a total of fourteen characters to interact with when it's up to the level it needs to be. So that much can be assured. It's all a matter of writing them into the game.

And believe it or not, there is a worse character choice than Screech. He's a random character though, so pay attention next time you scroll through the avatars. The secret character may make an appearance for someone, and your work will certainly be cut out for you if you choose him.

Well, I appreciate the comments, guys. Keep them coming.

I have great empathy with Iago. For those who seek the truth, look for the 336th thing that marred its perfection.

Tightfloss Maiden

Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, did I do something wrong? There WAS no manipulation window when I played the game.
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a textbox that let you know the NPC was listening to you, Moog.

As for why I picked Maguire, it had to do with with a few different things. First of all, the way the narrative pointed to him being the sort you'd expected the player to be, and something to do with my older brother recognizing how much Maquire as Peter Parker actually looked like him.

Hmm. I certainly never came across any fat bastards secret, harder-to-handle characters... (wink)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: