Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Preserve OHR History!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't really remember sending it to you, but i do remember talking about it with you.
i reckon that in the end, i did give you the game.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncommon wrote:
See, Blazes Battles Inc. has said twice that he's wanting to preseve bad games.

Also, while we're at it, didn't Blazes take some heat for hosting games without the author's permission in the past? It's really the author's right to decide where his/her game is posted, and don't give me any "it's better to ask forgiveness than ask permission!"
So, before you jump into this, you ought to make inquiries to find out if these people even want their games posted.

I don't see a reason to not preserve poor games. If you don't want to play them, then don't. Now, as far as me hosting games in the past, when I first joined the OHR Community, that's true. To be fair, I was too young to really understand that people might not have wanted their games posted. I also never recieved any 'heat' for it (at least, not that I know of; I wouldn't be too surprised if people talked about it before I ever came to an OHR forum other than the 'Help Me' board). That site (which I posted a link to in this thread) quickly died and I eventually shaped up and become a real member of the community, although I was never able to produce a decent game.

And from a purely legal standpoint, if someone distributes something freely while providing no terms of service as to its use (unlike how, say, James forbade distribution of Custom.exe without his permission), you can also do what you want with it, unless they use a copyright to stop you (in which case, they have to seek you out, not the other way around, unless it's a registered copyright). Ignoring that, I already mentioned that I would post a list of what I found before I actually posted any games, and mentioned if someone didn't want their game to resurface, to tell me. There's no way of me reaching virtually any of these people, since most of them have left the community, or only posted one game but never a contact, and so on. If I came across an e-mail address I'd drop a line, even though I doubt I'd get a response. Furthermore, if any of you know how to contact one of these people, then by all means, do so.

I'm actually throwing out the incredibly bad or unplayable games I find (only three so far), but as long as one good thing can be said about it, I don't understand why you wouldn't want it preserved. It takes virtually no space to do, and (hopefully) it won't be threatening you.
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never said you shouldn't post crappy games, but you're actually wrong about the copyright bit. See, a work is copyrighted by default. It isn't that someone has to state that it's copyrighted for copyright laws to effect it, it's that someone has to explicitly state that a work is public domain for it to not be under copyright.

To say that it's not your job and that someone should come seek you for exclusion of their work is ridiculous. It's takes away the author's right. If you want to include something on your list, you ought to seek out each and every one of those authors first. And don't get pissy about that being more work, 'cos that's the only proper way to go about it. Either seek permission or have the authors submit their work themselves.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 4:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's how it effectively has to happen. If someone doesn't give their real name (many of the games I've found so far don't even give a fake name, like Blazes Battles Inc.) and does not officially register a copyright (so I can find out who they are) in addition to not providing any way of contacting them, it's actually impossible for me to contact them. In these cases, it would also actually be virtually impossible for someone to take action against me, as they would have to prove that they were the creator of the work, something that's definitely not simple given the nature of these games. Of course, if someone wanted me to remove a game, I'd be taking their word for it anyway.

The likelihood of someone who made one of these games wanted them being removed is also highly unlikely. People distributing things commercially tend to use copyrights as swords much more often than people who are not, but some well-known sites (Home of the Underdogs comes to mind in particular) that host so-called 'abandonware' very rarely have someone tell them to take down a game.

Either way, I'm probably going to be able to finish by the end of the day, and I'll post the list (list, not archive, in case there's still some confusion over that) of what I've found. If you know how to reach any of the authors, please either tell me how to reach them or contact them yourselves.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, now I want it.
Three pointed, red disaster!

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know this is a long shot, and I doubt anyone has it. But does anyone have a copy of any of the "Bushindi-The One Armed Fencer" games? My friend made them a long time ago, and I don't remember if he told me he posted them online or what.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I don't have that one. Unfortunately, this is taking a lot longer than I thought, so I'll post a list of the better games I've found so far, along with some comments. I haven't asked any of these people for permission yet (but if I can find them, I will before I post them). Right now, just tell me if these are up anywhere. I've checked all three lists (the OHR Hits List, the CP Game List, and the Operation: OHR list), and while I haven't seen these, it's possible I missed them.

Atomic Knights Trilogy - Made by AKWare. You know, I'm almost positive this would be up somewhere already, though I haven't seen it, which really surprises me. AKWare is apparently Disaster Labs now, though I don't see these games anywhere on their site.

Deadwood- Made by Red Murdock Software, more specifically, Dr. Greg and Royal. I know Royal is a member here, so he'd be the one I'd ask.

Elven: Book One- Made by GrandTrain. I know he's a member here.

Pain - I don't know who made it, only the name Pain is up there. If you know who made it, please tell me.

Republican X- Ditto.

Again, (with the exception of Royal, Grandtrain or Disaster Labs), if you know where I could reach the authors of any of these games, please tell me. And, of course, if these are already up somewhere, also please tell me.

Last edited by Blazes Battles Inc. on Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:57 am; edited 4 times in total
Sephyroth
Renegade Rebel Redmage
Class A Minstrel

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Blasphemous Saga Fantasy - I think this is up somewhere (or that there's something I should remember about this), but I haven't seen it. Title says it's made by ZaCorp.

Christ, that really IS old. The game has been remade several times, and renamed to Time Flies, which is on the CP gamelist.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotcha, editing my post and removing it.
Nintendork

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*sigh* This reminds me of a story. When I was in 3rd grade (when I first found out about OHR), I made a game called "In Space". I'm not kidding... it was a full-length game. Although, as you can probably guess... it was terrible. TERRIBLE. Even back then I admitted it was terrible. But it was still probably my second greatest OHR accomplishment (with Bomberman: Race For The Championship being first. I know it's not full-length, nor is it too good, but I actually quite enjoy the game myself). We submitted it to Operation: OHR, but we did not know how the game list worked so we e-mailed it to someone at that site. Unfortunantly, we never got a response, nor was it ever put on the game list. But eventually, I got really mad at my brother for something (no idea what it was) so we started fighting, and I said "if you don't stop, I'm gonna delete In Space!" Now I usually threatened to hurt him, and in the end I was always hurt the most, so like those times, he didn't take me seriously. "Yeah, right," he said. I was filled with rage. So to get him to believe me... I actually did it. I deleted every file related to In Space... *sigh*. The only place it could POSSIBLY exist is on the guy's computer who received the e-mail and never responded, assuming he downloaded it. But I doubt he did. Man... Sad...
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazes Battles Inc. wrote:
I've checked...the Operation: OHR list...[for] Royal's Fake Plotscripting School...

Look Harder.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That explains why I couldn't find it, then. I did a search on 'Fake.' Removing that one too.

EDIT: After a search on the internet, I just found out that AKWare is now Disaster Labs. Changing my post to reflect that as well.
Fortis
don't make me come over there

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't have to remove BSF.

Nurr. Nevermind, I get it now.

Anyway, you're allowed to redistribute BSF with whatever thing it is you're doing, here. Even if it is terrible.
RPGCreations
E Pluribus Unum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazes Battles Inc. wrote:
Well, that's how it effectively has to happen. If someone doesn't give their real name (many of the games I've found so far don't even give a fake name, like Blazes Battles Inc.) and does not officially register a copyright (so I can find out who they are) in addition to not providing any way of contacting them, it's actually impossible for me to contact them. In these cases, it would also actually be virtually impossible for someone to take action against me, as they would have to prove that they were the creator of the work, something that's definitely not simple given the nature of these games.

Just because you can't contact the owner of a copyright doesn't make it okay. It's still copyrighted. Copyrights also extend to an X number of years after your death, and nobody will be able to ask your permission then, either. Copyrighted is copyrighted.

Quote:
The likelihood of someone who made one of these games wanted them being removed is also highly unlikely. People distributing things commercially tend to use copyrights as swords much more often than people who are not, but some well-known sites (Home of the Underdogs comes to mind in particular) that host so-called 'abandonware' very rarely have someone tell them to take down a game.

This is because Underdogs has hosting in countries that do not have IP/copyright laws. Once again, just because you think someone might want their game there, does not grant you permission to upload their game.

If an author disappears or does not upload their game anywhere, just let that game go. The author wants it to disappear.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Sat Jan 15, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't Magnus still here? Well, either way, I've only gotten games from sites where they were uploaded to. Besides, using the strictest sense of what you're saying, it's copyright infringement for the Operation: OHR archives to even be up on a different site then where the original Operation: OHR site was hosted, since each individual author who uploaded a game likely didn't give permission. But in the realistic world, no one would care unless they were, say, suing out of spite.

As for that tidbit of information about Underdogs, that's something I didn't know. But I suppose while the companies can't sue them, they can have them taken down if they want. Look through the archives of the Underdogs, they remove games if the author(s) of the game ask them to.

Still, if you how to contact the maker of either game I mentioned that I don't know the author of, tell me and I'd be glad to ask them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: