Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Hmmm... giant maps?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mystic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Hmmm... giant maps? Reply with quote

Wow... I haven't touched the OHRRPGCE in forever. Ever since I started programming. I thought it'd be neat to start again.

Anyway, has there ever been a game using gigantic maps that serve little story purpose? Like, dungeon A only has 400 tiles dedicated to the simple task you have to do, but then there are 400 more tiles that are there to explore to find items and such. Each map would be like that. You'd never have to go through them, but it would be like infinite little side-quests to embark on everytime you get somewhere new.

Large bonuses would be cool, too, like you get a secret character or whatever. Towns could also be just as large, with more than what seems to be there at first glance. Secret dungeons and rooms leading to shops with better items and stuff would be neat.

I have a bunch of other obscure ideas I could do with this engine, but I'd like to see how this one sounds, first.
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What it comes down to is how much effort you want to put into map design/building. If you want huge maps and countless side-quests, more power to you. Just know that it's going to be a commendable amount of work.

But that's actually something I've been thinking about lately. The complexity of a game's design is really only limited by how much time the designer wants to spend designing and perfecting it. Your game is really just as big as you make it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was probably just a random example number, but 400 tiles really isn't that much. That's just a square of 20x20 tiles. That'd be a pretty small map.

Heh, you might say Bandit Revolver did this, except that most of the map was just filled with nothing.

Anyway, like Uncy said, if you're willing to put a lot of extra time and effort into your game then it should work (assuming you have the skill to back up your effort). You'll need to keep your maps and side-quests interesting and original. If they're all the same then it's not going to matter how many there are, it's going to be boring.
Operation Freedom
It was my idea in the first place

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think gigantic maps, with dungeons and wilderness will be a lot easier than gigantic towns. Big towns with a lot of interesting characters and subplots, takes A LOT of time to do.
I am making a huge town right now with my brother, in the game Zander and it takes time.
A nice thing with unlinear games, is that you can start out simple and then expand the game, whenever you got some inspiration.
Best wishes!
Tsunamidog
banned...but not really.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats what I'm doing with the game I'm making, You land on an alien planet (which is the maximum space i could use for a map) and you only stay in on section of it to do all the regular missions. Then after you beat it, you can go on to the rest of the planet with a lot of extra missions. (thus, it wont be out in like, forever.)

I think it would be hard to make a giant city or or town.

The Above Statement Is False
Mystic

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Making the whole game on one map would be quite hard... you only get so many NPCs. And yeah, 400 was just a random number.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T-dog, that turns out to not be such a great idea. Play Scary Game 2 for a good example of "huge map slowdown." (I still love that map, though.)
Avid Player

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogle1 wrote:
T-dog, that turns out to not be such a great idea. Play Scary Game 2 for a good example of "huge map slowdown." (I still love that map, though.)

That's about to become a thing of the past... I'll have to try out Scary Game 2 on my engine when I get it in a runnable state.

~= phyrfox =~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
RPGrealm5
Sir, the Goombas are dancing again!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been a while, but large maps were the whole point of my current game, Fiend Hunter. The map was large and set up for you to explore at your leisure. You could go where you wanted on it, or search the whole thing for things. The towns aren't massive, but they are pretty detailed. Really the main environments were the only areas that were big, and there weren't many NPCs on them, so there wasn't a slowdown.

Currently I've been redesigning the graphics for the game. I've also replaced the protagonist with a new character. Whenever I get around to releasing the next demo, it will be a lot different than the first. Close enough to be a new game entirely, well nearly at least.

Well, I'll climb back into my hole for the next few months again...
Jack
the fool

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had an idea like this for mystics (which is kind of wierd seeing as how your name is mystic and your talking about large maps)

i decided to scrap that idea and instead just stealing the legend of zelda (nes) and just make the giant map into a bunch of smaller so many x so many tiles.

a giant map would look kind of cool, but would be way to long to do and you would run into way too many problems.
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2005 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried using huge maps and the main problem I faced was being limited to one tileset. For a huge map to work well, you would need basic looking buildings, trees, cliffs ect in order to create several environments and/or an interesting landscape. In such a case, tile animation is out of the question, as it can take a lot of tiles. I've found that a generic space map is the easiest way to make huge maps, as they are largely empty anyway. This would also work for large ocean, desert or dungeon maps
Mystic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aren't there some plotscripting stuff related to tileset switching? That could alleviate one of the problems... somewhat. Maybe, I'll think about it.
RPGrealm5
Sir, the Goombas are dancing again!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The hardest thing about making large maps is keeping them interesting and diverse. One map I've been working at constantly demonstrates how good large maps can be. Sure, one tileset may make it hard to make it diverse, but you have to just make sure that you have certain tiles that are used on only one area of the map.

Here's a few maps I've been working on. One is a forest and the other are mountains (I am still working on the mountains.). The forest is really big, but there is no slowdown. I'm also working on connecting all of the maps together, so if you were to take a screenshot of each map, you could connect them like a puzzle. I don't know, I guess I just have a thing for big maps.
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to see big maps, try &And. I want lv. 99. Sad...
Mystic

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great examples. I think I may enter Terrible Game contest <_<
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: