Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

A noob union
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh, I can't stand this nonsense. Now, you're free to think whatever you want of any other user. Think someone is a jerk? Okay. Think someone is cool? Alright. Think someone is useless? Fine. I don't care, think whatever you want. BUT: trying to make official categories out of it doesn't make any damned sense. Your opinion of someone is just your opinion. Some others may share it, but some others will not. Sorting people into groups like "newb" or "jerk" or "regular" is useless and stupid.

Seriously people, stop wasting your time on this.
Gizmog1
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, in summation, A) A n00b union is a bad idea, B) N00bs and Vets are for suckers (Perhaps that should be a new distinction...bah!) and C) This thread is tired. Can we all, however, agree to give the newbies a LITTLE bit of license? I don't mean let them break rules, but if someone comes in, bragging about their Final Fantasy fangame, can we at least spare them that, and only advise them not to rip graphics? I mean, look at Fenrir, who's made a great Final Fantasy fangame. I doubt the others will do anywhere as good, but hell, they deserve a shot at least. And if they don't do a good job of it, you're free to tell them.
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Can we all, however, agree to give the newbies a LITTLE bit of license? I don't mean let them break rules, but if someone comes in, bragging about their Final Fantasy fangame, can we at least spare them that, and only advise them not to rip graphics? I mean, look at Fenrir, who's made a great Final Fantasy fangame. I doubt the others will do anywhere as good, but hell, they deserve a shot at least. And if they don't do a good job of it, you're free to tell them.

Most definitely. We need to teach our new users that making games is what they are here to do, and that they should do that as much as possible. When a new users posts their idea for a game, we should offer advice on how to make that game work, NOT advice on whether or not to make the game. When someone asks "Should I make this game?" the answer should always be "Yes."

Making a game and failing at it is better than giving up on the idea because older members told you to. At least you learn something from failure, and you have a finished product so that people can give you a detailed analysis of what you did right and wrong.

Also, it's rather silly to criticize people for making fangames in a community where the supposed "veterans" are overwhelmingly of the opinion that gameplay and storytelling are what's really important. If that's really the case, why care if someone uses someone else's story? Let them use the idea, what we need to judge is how well they use the idea. If someone can take another's idea and do better than the original creator at it, doesn't that still deserve praise?
Machu
Righter, a person who rights wrongs

PostPosted: Sun Feb 27, 2005 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If someone can take another's idea and do better than the original creator at it, doesn't that still deserve praise?

That's all I've been doing so far...
[*]Starting now, there's going to be a lot less conversation and a lot more killing
Septimus
Warrior wizard garuda dwarf-chopping ocelot

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"If someone can take another's idea and do better than the original creator at it, doesn't that still deserve praise?"

Yes but what is original? By now no one's idea's are original because somewhere down the line they've been done. What catergories of originality are there????
I say we start an Originality union!!!!!
No im just being awkward Ha ha ha!
Sephyroth
Renegade Rebel Redmage
Class A Minstrel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. You have enlightened me to the truth that there is absolutely nothing new to be done with the world. All that is left for us to do in this weary world is to end our meaningless lives and return the world to oblivion.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iblis makes a very good and overlooked point, though. Storytelling is more important than story. Shakespear wrote very few original plots. Disney has never done anything original (excluding Pixar's films, which I think actually are). They're still memorable, though, because of how they're presented.

And, uh, how'd the original topic drift over here? (Not complaining: this one's more interesting.)
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not to say you can't try to be original, but yeah, the way a thing's presented is can entirely change what is presented. But that isn't to say you can neglect the thing presented. If someone puts garnish on a plate full of poop, it's not going to change the fact that the plate is still loaded with poop, and no one likes eating poop guys.

So I guess what I'm saying is don't present poop.

PS: Regarding the Pixar being original bit, I have a sneaking suspicion that The Incredibles was inspired by Alan Moore's Watchmen. There are a frightening number of parallels between the two.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was mostly thinking Toy Story.
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Incredibles is seventy-five times better than Toy Story. :(
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I NO DAT!!1 i was just sayeeeng...
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just as a note to any admins watching, I think this is a pretty good example of a time that a thread has changed it's topic for better. The original topic has been talked out, and now the conversation shifts, and there's really no need for them to spark a new topic. I'd say this is good posting, and an example for future reference.
Joe Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2005 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Locked!
*looks at permissions*
...Dang, not locked. Ah, well, who cares?

The only association with Pixar Disney had was it took all of Pixar's money. Fortunately, the contract ended.

...And I still like the deathcamp idea.

Last edited by Joe Man on Fri Dec 13, 1957 1:21 am; edited 2,892 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Site Suggestions All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: