Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

The flashback/flashforward...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DobyGillis
Like before, but better.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:14 am    Post subject: The flashback/flashforward... Reply with quote

Not as much of an actual story post, more of a flow-of-game comment. What's the general consensus on those Lufia-style beginnings that let you control some level 72 character for a little while? Or a game that starts you (e.g. DW6) in the middle of the game for a scoche, then zaps you back to the beginning? I always find those kinda fun, and I don't really remember being disappointed with a game that started like that. Coincidence? Pyramid Scheme? Who knows.

-Barret, FFVII

Doby.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Squall
is fantastic

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't let the user play with high level characters too much, or else it would ruin the fun when the player finally levels up to that level. It's fine if it's like FFVII, where you get a chance to control Sephiroth and you simply are able to kill enemies with one hit, but I wouldn't reccomend allowing the user to control higher level versions of the regular playable characters or be able to use cool magic spells/summons.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2003 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. I'd prefer the style of Lufia or *shudder* FFVII that let you have a high leveled character (or four!) for a short duration, but this/these character(s) never actually join your party (Maxim and co. in Lufia (I don't consider this like DW6 because Maxim and co. play much differently in Lufia II), Sephiroth in FFVII, etc.). I generally enjoy it, though - a few moments of being beyond more powerful than your enemies is fun (although it isn't as satisfying in easy games where you're ALREADY stronger than the enemies...).
Like before, but better.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that bothered me on Lufia TFoD that all the Lufia 2 heroes had every spell you learn in the real game. First of all, I barely ever used anything except Stronger/Champion anyway, but knowing every spell I could get did kinda spoil it. I'm a much bigger fan of Like 3 or 4 incredibly powerful skills no one else can learn, even though that might be contrary to that point in the game (you'd think that hero would learn 45 spells throughout his level 50 voyahe, not 3, but still.) FF VI was a great example, with Magitek that was a lot more powerful than any attack until you got Sabin, but nothing like what you regularly learn.

Has anyone played the new Lufia for GBA? ...It's just not the same...

-Barret, FFVII

Doby.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2003 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, going off the first post and ignoring all others, I would say that starting a game en media res is a quite interesting device. They used that same device in all the good epics, after all. For that reason, I decided some time ago that Where Gods and Mortals Dance would actually start in the middle, then the first half would be played through later on.

EDIT: Having Read the other posts now, I must say that I disagree about not letting the player control higher-leveled characters, as they will all be 30-plus by this point in the middle. But, since the characters have their differences in the first and second halves, and you will again return to the second half, I really can pull this off.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: