Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Do you get bored halfway through projects?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SilentAngel
The Angel of Silence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, Leroy, when HnS was released there wasn't a great amount of comments made about it, only really from three people. Granted, I fixed the glaring issues up, but I never got any feedback beyond that. Doesn't matter now anyway, it's old news, heh.

That being said, if enough constructive feedback is given, it makes the author feel appreciated and that someone is actually paying enough attention to look over something they've created. Hence they will continue to work on it.

Another bit of advice would be to actually have some sort of planning (be it on paper or otherwise) before you put the game together. I'm pretty sure that advice was from one of Rinku's Septa articles on game design.

Stepmania Online Stats:

Next song to pass on Stepmania: Paranoia Survivor Max (Heavy)
Next song to pass on DDR: MaxX Unlimited(Standard)
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes. I remember that. Paper is sort of messy, though. Instead of paper, type your DDoc. YOu brought up another bit of useful advice. Haha! I can't think of these things on my own. -.-

I still have the Ddocs from several games saved to my computer and when I check them now, I feel a burst of inspiration. An "Oh yeah! I remember what I was doing with this." sort of feeling. XD

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SilentAngel
The Angel of Silence

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or the pieces of paper you find with various design ideas written on them, I found one such piece a couple of days ago XD, which was from my original project from 1999 Ha ha ha!

Stepmania Online Stats:

Gizmog1
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really disagree with the plan it out on pieces of paper idea. If you've got a game idea, boil it down to it's essences, and put it in a text file somewhere. Then go about your life as though nothing's happened. If you keep thinking about it, and have some really great ideas for it, then go ahead and make the game, but don't bother planning it out. If it's seemed like a good idea for that month or two, it's a good idea, and you should go for it as quickly as possible. Make some basic decisions on how it should work, and stick with them. Surest way to fuck up a project is to start second guessing yourself: Your first impression is usually the best one. Quit doing all this damned planning business, and start actually working on the game. Things that seem like an insurmountable problem while you're planning have a funny way of solving themselves if you're actually drawing, or writing textboxes, or scripting, and the more you plan it out, the stuffier it gets, and the less exciting. You start to file off all the jagged edges that make it interesting in the first place.
SilentAngel
The Angel of Silence

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Giz, that idea can work for games which are shorter, or don't have an overly complex storyline/gameplay ideas. I suggested the paper idea because it means you have a hard copy of your idea - you can't forget it if you've written it. With many ideas, you can start to form links between them, which can set the scene for a game which is longer.

That idea might not work for you, but everyone's different when it comes to game design. Some people work better with their ideas in front of them, others work off an abstract concept and add things as they think of them. Some even work off an artwork they've seen or a story they've read as the basis of their idea, or to further a concept they've thought of

Stepmania Online Stats:

Gizmog1
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're getting bored halfway through the project, it means you dove too far in before you let the idea settle a bit. Paper planning is all well and good, but you can't just dive off paper planning every game idea you get, it's almost a guaranteed path to burnout and starting things and then getting bored halfway through. Once you've got an idea you've left laying around a bit, and are still excited about, then you can dive into the paper planning, and really working on it, but too many games wind up getting so heavily planned out that they never see release.
Joe Man

PostPosted: Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I have some dozen or so ideas that I came up with, put a lot of work into, and lost inspiration. Fortunately, for the good ideas, inspiration always comes back. my current idea that I expect to lose intrest in exeptionally soon is a story about a magical humanoid mole who lives in London and is more or less worshiped and kept secret by punk goths. About a week ago I was throwing more ideas into Delerium (some may remember that), but I only really put anything into that when I get a really creepy idea. Before that I was thinking about the life of this guy who accidentally wins the lottery in heaven and causes the world to end, partially due to killing Elvis (who is alive). And while writing an paper for English II I got an idea for a science fiction story about Earth with no males (or carbon dioxide and consequently plants), but I didn't really think too much about that until now.

Last edited by Joe Man on Fri Dec 13, 1957 1:21 am; edited 2,892 time in total
junahu
Custom Title: 45 character limit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 01, 2005 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmog1 wrote:
...too many games wind up getting so heavily planned out that they never see release.

True. That's why I make my games from the inside out. I get the core elements of the game working first then add the superfluous details. Even if I do lose interest I still have something to show for it.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I plan even the maps on paper ,so than if they suck I don't waste time making them.
Everytime I start making an Rpg I get to a point where I'm sick of the idea
(usaully cause I see something so much cooler) and start making a completly different rpg. Eventually I've got so many tiles and walkabouts done from the various projects that my current one takes less time to do.
That said my current Rpg (the first I'd admit to) only got to where it is because I told some of my friends about it and they kept hassling me to do more.
Battleblaze
Warrior Thread Monk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2005 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't write things down...I keep it all in my head...When I get new ideas I just find a way to put it into the game...Game making seems to be the only thing that slows me down enough to be rational...I think I got ADD...meh

"Aeth calls PHC an anti-semite; PHC blames anti-semitism"
-squall
Tsunamidog
banned...but not really.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ever since my first game, I've lost intrest right after I started to make a game. *sigh*
But I'm probably gonna make something I'm gonna stick with for the Halloween Contest.

The Above Statement Is False
Phil Arts
Manipulating himself since the beginning

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2005 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happens to me too. Unfortionly my computer is in my dads garage because we dont have room for it. Crying
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: