Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Finally out for the public to hear ;)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2005 9:26 pm    Post subject: Finally out for the public to hear ;) Reply with quote

I don't believe that I have EVER shared these with anyone outside the Musicians' corner group. Hooray for firsts!

I had trouble picking which songs to do today. Bear with me.

First I shall spin an ol' 'home slice' I call "Tutahnrah".

http://www.geocities.com/taru_taurus/Music/LegendsOfNatrah/TutanrahTheme.mid

Personally, I love playing the first part on the keyboard. 'Really gives a person's fingers a go around. Fun stuff.

Next I have's a little number called "Malco's mischief Gang"

http://www.geocities.com/taru_taurus/Music/LegendsOfNatrah/KidGangNew.mid

Slap bass is sort of funny, though. And I ain't sayin' "haha" funny, neither.

Now, if I've got ya' riled up now (har har), settle down. This next one's a crude transition from the last one because it's supposedly 'pretty'. I've renamed it several times, but I call's it "Looking through The moonlit Canopy"

http://www.geocities.com/taru_taurus/Music/LegendsOfNatrah/UnderTheMoonlitforest.mid

I am sure I could still make this sound fuller. Bare that in mind.

And before I wear out my welcome, here is my last piece...
It's full title is "Gibborone; mask of flame".

http://www.geocities.com/taru_taurus/Music/LegendsOfNatrah/Gibborone_midversion.mid

Ya' see, I realize Gibberone is a strange name. I can't remember where it came from. You can sort of tell what sort of song inspired this, though. I'd say part Zelda and part Russian waltz. Something like that. Please correct me if you think differn'tly.

And that is my humble contribution to the music world... Oookay...
There are more to come. Comments are unecessary... Happy

PS: For those who have heard these; they are pretty much the same way as I last left them. No major changes made to any of them.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tgfcoder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm,

KidGangNew needs to be longer and more interesting, maybe more instruments Raspberry!

Gibborone_midversion is missing something. Something really low or really high. Maybe a better choice of chords or less reliance on appregios.

UnderTheMoonlitforest is interesting. I especially liked the track names Happy Still, not very captivating. My fave out of the three I think..

I dunno if this helped
ut I liked listening to them Big grin
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate your coments. Some of these have already gone through some changes, but I will check to see if I can use the advice. A late comment is better than no comment. Thank you again.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tgfcoder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No worries, Leo.
tgfcoder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:14 pm    Post subject: :) Reply with quote

I look forward to hearing more of your (midi) songs Big grin
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Sun Oct 16, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you joined the musicians corner group? We could use some action.

---msw188 ---
tgfcoder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 17, 2005 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*runs off to join group, leaving pages of unfinished song scores all around*

No,.! My scores!

edit: I can'ts finds its! Gah, those tricksy linksss!
edit2: Don't worry. Did a google "musician's corner site:castleparadox.com"
edit3: That lead to the old CP
edit4: Found the title "Usergroups". I'm proud of my intelligence. Big grin
Artimus Bena
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 2:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tutanrah

I really like it; there were a couple times where the drums seemed off-sync. That's about the only negative thing I can say. I would add one more thematic element as a climax, or to push the latter half up a bit. What I mean is, without it, it's like a sandbox, with a fairly flat surface; you could build a "sandcastle" someplace interesting.

Kidgangnew

I felt like I was bouncing through a crowded street. But I mean that in a good way. I liked the simple bouncy energy.

Looking Through the Moonlit Canopy

I liked it, but I'd quiet down the cello-sounding part a little bit.

Gibberone

No complaints : )

|||Compositions!
|||Eldardeen Soundtrack!
|||Red Mercury!
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tutanrah Theme:
I kept waiting for this theme to come to some sort of climatic moment. Like Artimus Bena said, it is a little too flat, and really comes to no rising point.

Malco's Mischief Gang:
This definitely should be extended. It would be nice to hear the melody expanded onto different textures and instruments (again reaching some sort of climax)

Looking through The moonlit Canopy:
I hate the solo string patches. I would replace them with the string ensemble patch. Have you thought about taking this at a slower BPM? That would make it a little more romantic in my opinion.

Gibborone; Mask of Flame
It doesn't seem Russian, but I can't put my finger on the style. While a harp is a bit trite nowadays, have you thought about changing the piano to harp? It's a little cliche, but I think this song would benifit from it.

Nice songs, keep up the good work.
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Wed Oct 26, 2005 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent suggestions all.
I have since tinkerred with some of these songs. Afterall, I posted them here over 5 months ago.

Tutanrah is a bit repetitive. I made it a little spicier, but there still isn't a climax. It's just a repeating theme. But I want that "sand castle", because this is supposed to be the Tutanrah anthem. I'll have to think of something.
Until then, this is the spicier version.
http://www.geocities.com/taru_taurus/Music/LegendsOfNatrah/TutanrahThemeFix.mid
The big change is the melody has trills (or whatever they're called) some added parts, and some percussions tweaking.

Kid gang (Malco's Mischievious Gang) is and was always annoyingly repetitive. It's a character theme that plays when you talk with the "Gibborone Gang" leader, so I might want to lengthen it a bit as well. No news on this song as of now, though.

I still need to quiet those parts on Moonlit, like y'all suggested.
And Gibborone has been fixed. Sort of. Big grin
http://www.geocities.com/taru_taurus/Music/LegendsOfNatrah/Gibborone.mid
I can't find Harp on my instrument list. I swear I saw it, but I lost it in the other instruments.
The instruments sound cooler, but that's just what I think.
I can hear the different parts better and see how they connect. I had forgotten how I composed this until now. It's like brushing dust off of a missing artifact.

Enjoy the mods. Please grace me with your ever useful feedback.

---msw188 ---
Artimus Bena
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its name should be "Orchestral Harp" ( on the general midi list ) It should be right under pizzicato strings.

I actually liked the older Gibberone more for the piano, but still good

I like how the notation is in the new Tutanrah, but I found the old instruments in this one as well, to be more enjoyable. The old one is like a battle theme almost, and the new one would be very good for a time when the character is feeling charged in the moment, or something; placed just right for an uplifting moment. If you're using this in a game, I would suggest using the two versions like that, if you can.

|||Compositions!
|||Eldardeen Soundtrack!
|||Red Mercury!
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll look again. I also liked the piano version. Perhaps I can still use this for a different version of his theme...

Actually, I haven't gotten around to making the Tutanrah anthem yet. I'll keep these suggestions for when I get around to it. What you hear is the invigorating/being chased or hunted version. Long story short, the main characters, who aren't Human, are in Tutanrah and are being hunted.

Still, the instruments of Tutanrah are less satisfying now than they were when I changed them last night... Point mainly, the melody. Right now it's in Synth string #2. I need to find something that works better. It has to sound like a desert, because Tutanrah was built in a desert (Drakeese). Yet, it also has to have a tough/menacing feel to it, so I think I might go with some sort of guitar. Any suggestions on instruments would be lovely.

Edit: Here's a change of instruments.
http://www.geocities.com/taru_taurus/Music/LegendsOfNatrah/TutanrahThemeFix.mid
The melody is now using Lead 5 (Charang), as does the back-up. It doesn't necessarily have to sound Deserty, but the back ground should, probably. Also, this is only 4 tracks, so not a lot of variety yet.

I'll looks at Gibb's theme in a bit.

And, if anyone wants to...
Someone tell me what you like/dislike about this one so far. Happy
http://www.geocities.com/taru_taurus/Music/LegendsOfNatrah/Otera_Hokori_Fosho.mid

---msw188 ---

Last edited by LeRoy_Leo on Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Artimus Bena
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Any suggestions on instruments would be lovely.

I'd use a couple of guitars for this. Probably not the electrics or acoustics; I'd use the basses for some of the guitar, to get that throaty sound. Also, you could have "one" guitar (it would take a couple staves) to quickly strum certain chords, and the second for the melody. I imagine it'd sound pretty sweet, if you did it right. Probably a more indian or latin drumstyle too. For the menacing feel, you could use very low piano, I suppose. Percussion string instruments in general would be my choice.

|||Compositions!
|||Eldardeen Soundtrack!
|||Red Mercury!
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome. THAT is what I need to do. Add more instrument tracks!
God. It's so obvious now. 'Cuz one instrument sounds great at one point in the song, and not so great at another point. Good suggestion.

PS: Posted while I was editting a second time, and I thought I'd add some moe life into the thread... I posted this old song of mine.

http://www.geocities.com/taru_taurus/Music/LegendsOfNatrah/Otera_Hokori_Fosho.mid

You guessed it. Creepy Temple song. Otera = Temple, Hokori = Dust.
Any likes/dislikes? It might be a little unbalanced right now. Also, it's only half finished. There is a whole different part that comes in after I cut it off, where the song starts again (if your running it on repeat).

---msw188 ---
Artimus Bena
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you also want the beat to be very... um... listen to vanguard again man, the version with drums. Very "rolling".

I enjoy otera hokori fosho; just my kind of sadistic insanity : )

|||Compositions!
|||Eldardeen Soundtrack!
|||Red Mercury!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: