Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

What became of FFG?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
KainMinter
*~*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:12 pm    Post subject: What became of FFG? Reply with quote

Just in case anyone cares, I thought I'd drop in and inform you all of what I have been up to OHR wise.

Still working on FFG, though not as often as I'd like. I have been focusing mainly on completing the games graphics, specifically the enemy sprites. 288 out of 400ish of the games required enemy graphics are completed. Along the way, I discovered some more of photoshop's features, so I've taken the time to backtrack and redo many of the games already existing artwork. This time through, I've been taking my time trying to make sure I do things right.

I've decided to stop work on finishing all of the enemy graphics for now. Instead I will try to complete everything needed up to about 2 hours into the game in order to release a playable demo. (I've waited much too long on releasing one) I'll post to let you guys know if the demo is almost ready. Don't hold your breath though. I only have time to work on the game at work on slow days between customers. :x
Rimudora
Psychopath yandere
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy WOW! I've got to hand it to you, your sprites have improved a lot since the last iteration, and that's an understatement. Big grin
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great! I was afraid the project was dead, which would have been such a shame.

At any rate, I attempted finishing and fixing the songs I sent to you. I'm not really sure if you still want them (They were pretty bad.) If you still would like me as a composer for the project, I can try creating something new for you.

As for the graphics, what techniques went into making that lovely landscape? It looks excellent. Did you make it pixel by pixel? One thing I really love about the new enemy graphics is that they are in much more interesting positions and most of them aren't as flat (side view or front view) as the old ones.

I can't wait for the demo!
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, those look pretty nifty.

That turtle with the spiked tail... I assume that is a boss of some sort? If so, it would look sweet if the dirt that's scraped up by the ball was part of the background, so it doesn't disappear when it dies. Don't, however, interpret that as a criticism.

And, those backgrounds... are you sure that's an OHR backdrop? It looks awesome!

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
Official OHRRPGCE Wiki and FAQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
KainMinter
*~*

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the complements guys. I'm glad you like. :)

Quote:
At any rate, I attempted finishing and fixing the songs I sent to you. I'm not really sure if you still want them (They were pretty bad.) If you still would like me as a composer for the project, I can try creating something new for you.

You lie. They weren't bad at all. If you'd like to compose some stuff for the project, that'd be sweet! Your music was great. Can you post a link to the songs you finished?

Quote:
As for the graphics, what techniques went into making that lovely landscape? It looks excellent. Did you make it pixel by pixel?

The hero walkabouts and battle sprites are the only thing I'm doing pixel by pixel. The backgrounds are drawn out in solid color, then textured and shaded using tools in photoshop. The grass and sky textures in this picture were taken from a photo.

Quote:
That turtle with the spiked tail... I assume that is a boss of some sort? If so, it would look sweet if the dirt that's scraped up by the ball was part of the background, so it doesn't disappear when it dies.

About the turtle, nah, hes not a boss. Just a lowly random encounter along the beaches near the begining of the game. I like your idea though. I'll make a special battle background for his encounter that has the little trench made by his tail like you are suggesting. With thirty two thousand free slots to import images, no reason not to. X)
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, good to see you back 'round here again. Great to hear the game's not abandoned.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Terrific, awesome and gnarly are just a few words that spring to mind when looking at these pictures, any vague idea when a demo might be ready?
AdrianX
..yeah.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..yay! Inspiration! Big grin
..nice work,Kain!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
jabbercat
Composer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am pleased that there is still work being done. Big grin
Kenji Murasame
Shizuma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've fixed all the common errors people make with drawing sprites, and replaced them all with pro techniques.

What an improvement!
KainMinter
*~*

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vauge demo release time? hmmm... lets see...

I still need to do the following:
5 Battle BGs
Several tweaks to the character battle graphics and weapon graphics.
250+ NPC Sprites (8 for each NPC/PC and some other various graphics. difficult ; ; I hate doing these.)
8 new tilesets (these are hard for me too ; ;)
5 tilesets I need to modify
3 enemy sprite (Just some bosses and event graphics I skipped. easy^^)
60+ attack graphics (3 for each attack animation. easy^^)
15 or so midi files (I hope I can get help with this. I'm no Nobuo.)
Lots of scripting. (Scenes, minor game mechanics, and minigames. I need to rework the chocobo racing engine to support multiple tracks and objectives.)

Jeez... when I lay it all out like that its kind of depressing how much I still havent done :x So yeah... don't know how long all that will take. If I take it one thing at a time though, it should be ok. :)

Today I am going to try to modify some of the outdoor tilesets, attempting to make the plant life more pretty to look at. Having some trouble making tileable leaves for the treetops w/o making them look flat.
Kenji Murasame
Shizuma

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Umm, 250 NPCS. I'd cut that down. It'll take a virtual eternity. What?!?!
KainMinter
*~*

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, not 250 NPCs X)
But counting it out, its well over 300 20x20 walkabout images for about 35 npcs/pcs, as well as some landmarks and other props.
Regaurding those here's what I have left for the demo portion of the game:

6 of the playable characters (48)
8 village folk npcs specific to a certain region (64)
12 special characters/npcs (96)
8 town folk npcs for multiple towns (64)
World map locations, cities, etc (20)
Props such as chests, soccerball, shurikens, etc. (no more than 20)
Chocobo (8)
Various emotion poses redone for the characters and special npcs (60)

Most of these I already had done, but now need to redo in the new style as I showed above.

Maybe I should release just a technical demo that allows people to look over different features that have been completed so far while I work on getting the full demo ready. I could slap one of those together in a day or 2 maybe. Alot of stuff would use the old graphics and look ugly though.. and there would be silence in many areas. What do you think?
hireintelligence

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm just as happy to wait patiently.
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an amazing improovement. Not only has the depth of detail increased in all of the spriting, but some of the enemy designs changed as well. They are way more dynamic. Happy

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: