Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

More OHR for Windows (now with added Custom)
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PlayerOne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: More OHR for Windows (now with added Custom) Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I have been slaving away to get Custom ported to FreeBasic for the last few weeks, and I believe I have a decent working version now, so I've packaged up another release of FBOHR for your amusement:

http://www.pocketfuel.co.uk/ohr

In fact, there are two versions, just to confuse matters, using different external libraries (and neither uses fmodex.dll, like the last release). This is mainly because I can't decide which is best. The major visible difference is that the Allegro version runs double-sized, at 640x400 (and on my system it also sounds a lot quieter, for some reason).

Also included are many fixes and changes to game, including the fatal running-away bug from last time.

I left it far too long between releases, this time, I think. I'll try to update more often with bug fixes from now on, until it's solid enough to into the official version.
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problems I noticed with the first one:

Some of the stringed instruments are a little too strong. Too much resonance, or something. I don't know if that is fixable, or not.

The overhead tiles are wacky. Every other one doesn't put the hero graphic under the tree. Does this have something to do with one of the features? Maybe that new, custom tile overlapping feature is causing it.

And is it just me, or is there no longer a pause/resume game feature in battle?

Some good things:

The fade into battles or when using doors is less laggy.
You can opperate programs outside of game.exe without effecting the game (ex: you can hit the arrow keys to move in a word document and your character in the game will remain where he is, and most importantly, you can now hit return/enter without it effecting Game.exe.).

I have to test version two still. I just wanted to put those bugs out there asap.

Edit: Version Two is probably my favorite. It's more like the old school version of the OHR, which I hadn't used in a while because I liked the windows version's music capabilities. This has both, and like version 1, things you do outside the application don't affect things in game.exe. I also like the wide screen, full screen because I can alt tab and the music and all stops, which is good.

However, the overhead tiles are still a problem. I might see if anything is wrong in the rpg file, but of the three rpgs I tested this in, the overheads had the same problem, and only one of them was my game.

The few bugs asside, I'd recommend trading ol' windows version archetype in for this, or at least give it a whirl. Of course, that goes without say. <.<

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
PlayerOne

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, looks like I've really messed up the overhead tiles somewhere along the line. I'll have a look at that and try to get a fix out in the next few days.
junahu
Custom Title: 45 character limit

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The FBOHR works brilliantly and is far faster at executing plotscripts than DosBox.

There are a couple of display glitches that occur when importing compiled plotscripts, but that's the only problem.
..yeah.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..ok,so far,my favorite is the allegro version,but yeah,the overhead tiles are a mess..and one thing,my PC is a pentium 3-800mhz,and the hero "jumps" from tile to tile,instead of smoothly scrolling/walking..it's as if my PC's "too slow" for your version.oh,and the when will you ever fix the percussion instruments?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
PlayerOne

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just uploaded a new version which fixes the overhead tile problem.

My own PC is a P3-600. It doesn't seem too bad, although there does seem to be a slight pause after walking each whole tile. I should be able to optimise the code over time, though, so this should get better.

What's wrong with the percussion? Apart from the fact that you have to use chromatic percussion in BAMs rather than actual drums? Proper midi file support should be added before long, so you can add a BAM and a MID for each track. In fact I'll try to get that in this version sooner rather than later.
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To clarify what he said, drums don't exist in the world of BAM. They're converted to Gunshot or Melodic Drum or some such instrument. Thus, when they're converted back to MIDI, the translator can't tell the difference.

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
Official OHRRPGCE Wiki and FAQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
AdrianX
..yeah.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..yeah,what he said. Happy
..also,can the next release import MIDI files directly?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdrianX wrote:
..yeah,what he said. Happy
..also,can the next release import MIDI files directly?

I have nearly completed completely rewritting the Import Music menu. You will be able to import all supported formats in both QB and FB version of CUSTOM, and see stats and options for each song (such as delete song, filesize, song length, etc. Depends on fileformat and whether someone who knows about midi/mod/whatever format implements it). That 100 song limit will also be removed.

Now I just need to work with Simon to merge it in painlessly.
fishbone

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

youre really making ohr for windows?

i love you

i cannot plotscript (sniff)
i can make music now(yes!)
i cannot plotscript (tear)
Battleblaze
Warrior Thread Monk

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just downloaded it, played CPVS and good gracious gravey GRANDMA! It's like the OHR jump from VHS to DVD.It has the making of greatness lad.Some problems though.

Ya the jump thing adrian mentioned

The music has this werid little 80 sound thing I don't know how to put it (almost sounds like a "doo").

The graphics are kinda fucked at times. Like some of my sprites had the lightest blue instead of white on their eyes.And my title screen gets cunjumbled whenever I quit playing the game and go back to the load screen.

The Game load screen tends to change to error red time to time (instead of blue)

Besides that it ROX! Another point of coolness is that when you enlarge the game it looks widescreen.Widescreen=The big awsome uf my life!

"Aeth calls PHC an anti-semite; PHC blames anti-semitism"
-squall
Artimus Bena
Admiral

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love you guys...

|||Compositions!
|||Eldardeen Soundtrack!
|||Red Mercury!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you edit a file using the Windows OHR editor, then go back to using the original OHR custom, it produces a number of odd graphical glitches, not the least of which is severely screwing with the font. You can somewhat work around this by importing a NEW font, but many of the graphic errors still remain, amoung them the characters for font spaces that don't exist. Can anyone else confirm this, or is it just me?
PlayerOne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed a couple of bugs since the last version:

- It was missing the last step of the fade-in, which might explain the light-blue instead of white. (Also, DOS colours are 0-63 for red, green and blue, whereas windows is going to be 0-255. If the DOS colours are simply multiplied by 4, which is what I do in the Allegro version - I'm not sure how the other version handles it, then the maximum is going to be 252 which is a little off full brightness.)

- Changes to the font weren't showing.

- There were some issues with the sprite editor which also affected the WIP QB version. I can't remember if I fixed them before the last release or not.

I've fixed these, and I hope to get the new MIDI import done in the next few days. I have also sped up several operations. I'll take a look at these new reports too. Thanks.

It's tough for me to test properly. I was/am intending to make a game, to test Custom thoroughly, but that seems more off-putting and harder work than doing the FreeBasic programming, so I haven't got very far, yet.
PlayerOne

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Captain's Log, Supplemental: I've just found and fixed the font corruption problem. It was very foolish.

Note that it only happens if you go into the font editor, otherwise it never attempts to save the font data.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: