Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

WELCOME RPG DEMO
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: WELCOME RPG DEMO Reply with quote

http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=768

This'll be the only demo I release before the main event. I'm hoping this meets people's expectations, but there's always room for improvement too! Now try to find all the hidden easter eggs and secrets I've packed in!
Joe Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not gonna play for now. Someone tell me how James' wish was corrupted.

Last edited by Joe Man on Fri Dec 13, 1957 1:21 am; edited 2,892 time in total
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's incomplete.
JSH357

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1) Spelling and grammar check before the final release, please. Get help if necessary. I lost count.

2) Weapons need their own attacks. (Yeah, some of this stuff I assume you just haven't gotten around to yet)

3) The armor isn't effective enough (assuming that you're using the standard battle formulas) +1 to defense amounts to 1/2 a point of damage being subtracted under normal circumstances. Also, the level 2 spells do a LOT more damage than the level 1s, which I kind of like, but since the game seems to be pretty nonlinear, you might want to keep it a little more balanced. (I, of course, realize this is just an example game, but this is my nature)

4) Minor things like NPCs not talking, disappearing when they change facing, some enemies not having stats, etc. Just don't forget to fix these things.

5) I think this is actually the best game you've come up with. Hopefully it ends up being pretty good.
Joe Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can change your sig fen. It's the 18th.

Last edited by Joe Man on Fri Dec 13, 1957 1:21 am; edited 2,892 time in total
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSH357 wrote:
1) Spelling and grammar check before the final release, please. Get help if necessary. I lost count.

2) Weapons need their own attacks. (Yeah, some of this stuff I assume you just haven't gotten around to yet)

3) The armor isn't effective enough (assuming that you're using the standard battle formulas) +1 to defense amounts to 1/2 a point of damage being subtracted under normal circumstances. Also, the level 2 spells do a LOT more damage than the level 1s, which I kind of like, but since the game seems to be pretty nonlinear, you might want to keep it a little more balanced. (I, of course, realize this is just an example game, but this is my nature)

4) Minor things like NPCs not talking, disappearing when they change facing, some enemies not having stats, etc. Just don't forget to fix these things.

5) I think this is actually the best game you've come up with. Hopefully it ends up being pretty good.

This is actually EXACTLY the reason I released the demo.

1 - Will do, although I've always been fond of having NPCs talk with a dialect of sorts. I'd like to point out that all the peasants have the 'country' thing going, the 'Gods' have the Arthurian noble speech, and all the monsters etc., speak in truly alien fashions. I went back and did perform a number of corrections though. For the record "Wierd" is actually "Weird". Place-names though I've made sure are spelled faithfully. For the most part, it's simple silly mistakes like this that detract from a game's professionalism. Just thank god nobody speaks Arfenspeak. Yet

2 - Different types actually do have seperate effects. The Spears are much different from swords and canes, in that I'm actually using the 'peircing' and 'bludgeoning' type attacks as well. Truthfully, elemental weapons SHOULD have their own attack graphics, and going through I did notice some weapon placements are off.

3 - Armor's totally pointless against Bosses and strong enemies, and really is only used to soak the damage that the hordes of super weak enemies do. I've seen too many games where super strong bosses were made ridiculously easy because of armor. You could actually get it up pretty high, but there isn't much that'll do more than 50 or so in one shot. Still, I see the point, although I've always been iffy about having an actual defence stat. HP's always worked. If a particular enemy is still giving someone a hard time, I'd suggest to try using those protection-type spells as intended. Secondly, I agree, those second-level spells SHOULD be fairly powerful. There's no "Fire3" or whatever, so realistically it's moreso "Fire2.5". Most people also won't bother leveling after 20 or so. As for the non-linearity of it, you could try sequence breaking a bit, but in the end you'll still have to go back and beat all those weaker areas.

4 - I know which NPCs you mean; Working on them. As for the enemies, I could have sworn I gave all of the encountered ones attacks. Odd.

5 - That all depends, but the entire game's been outlined from start to finish so there's a consistent feel to it. Of course, I think I can work you in as your requested part too. Everyone who's currently in as a Cameo actually seems to fit in with the game world as though they were a natural part of it. I fully intend to keep this pattern going. I haven't the SLIGHTEST idea how to do people like RMZ or Battleblaze though. Good luck on that.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*drools all over self and keyboard, and gets electrocuted*

Yay! Now I have to muster the willpower to wait until my lunch break to play ;)
hakkun

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great game, just a couple little things.

1. When you defeat a boss, a really horrible chords sustains over the music. The only way to get it off is to quit and restart.

2. The south-facing Valkyrie walkabout(?) has a black pixel near the eye that keeps flashing. That's really nitpicky, but it's there.

Can you survive the Perilous Plunge?
Camdog

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this consistently locking up for anyone else?

This looks awesome Fenrir, but... I'll totally send you 20 bucks* if you get rid of those emoticons.

* - Offer not actually valid.
Artimus Bena
Admiral

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to insert pedal-releases at the beginning of every track, maybe that will fix it.

I will do that sometime tonight. Perhaps Fen won't mind updating afterward, if it fixes the problem.

I noticed the problem lies in the after-battle music; there has to be a sustain pedal in that first few seconds. I never got that stuck note if I just waited a few seconds before going back to the game. I also noticed that if there was a note stuck during the battle, if I waited for the after-battle's pedal release, it got rid of it.

|||Compositions!
|||Eldardeen Soundtrack!
|||Red Mercury!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camdog wrote:

This is probably the bug that TeeEmCee fixed this morning. It only affects certain computers. Try the latest nightly (er... or maybe actually, try tomorrow's nightly, cause I don't know if it got into last night's nightly)
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Artimus Bena wrote:
I'm going to insert pedal-releases at the beginning of every track, maybe that will fix it.

I will do that sometime tonight. Perhaps Fen won't mind updating afterward, if it fixes the problem.

I noticed the problem lies in the after-battle music; there has to be a sustain pedal in that first few seconds. I never got that stuck note if I just waited a few seconds before going back to the game. I also noticed that if there was a note stuck during the battle, if I waited for the after-battle's pedal release, it got rid of it.

Hmm... that's odd. I forget what midi event numbers sustains have, but they should be forwarded to the midi-software, so it shouldn't be a problem. I'll research it, and see what I can find...

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
Official OHRRPGCE Wiki and FAQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUG REPORT REPORTS ZOMG!

If you try to pick the thie... brigand at the beginning, and answer "yes", he'll still do the "No" option. You probably forgot to set the tag on that choice.

The sign right on the inside of the Ironwood forest has no sign.

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
Official OHRRPGCE Wiki and FAQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hakkun wrote:
Great game, just a couple little things.

1. When you defeat a boss, a really horrible chords sustains over the music. The only way to get it off is to quit and restart.

2. The south-facing Valkyrie walkabout(?) has a black pixel near the eye that keeps flashing. That's really nitpicky, but it's there.

1 - Not sure why either, but as stated, it's likely engine related.

2 - It also occurs with Mi'La the dog's walkabouts.

Camdog wrote:

On that, I have NO idea why. Giz has reported this too, coincidentally. There's no plotscripting going on at all, and unless it's the program itself, there really shouldn't be any reason why. The only thing I can possibly think of is that the game DOES have BAM fallbacks so it can run on the old DOS versions of OHR. For that matter, I've only seen it lock up in two locations. Firstly, when trying to enter he forest the game occasionally crashes, and secondly in the desert at seemly random points. As a side note, this game uses the nightly from 7-17-6, if that helps.

Mike Caron wrote:
If you try to pick the thie... brigand at the beginning, and answer "yes", he'll still do the "No" option. You probably forgot to set the tag on that choice.

The sign right on the inside of the Ironwood forest has no sign.

1 - This was indeed the case, and it's been fixed.

2 - Fixed it, and also caught the one out in the desert.
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the desert templish thingy, am I supposed to be able to walk on magma?Is there an explanation why I can walk on magma?

[edit] Also in the desert, the second gem changes from red to green. Guessing, this seems like all of the gems share a palette. Then, on inspection of the game through custom, I found that the gems did share the same palette. So you might want to set the npc to a don't change direction bitset or something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: