Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Missing
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Friend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Missing Reply with quote

http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=773

This is probably one of my shorter OHR project. The development started in late May and ended in late July. The idea of the game started around the time retrogamer sent me a demo of his mega-lo-mania project. I was impressed by his Robo Revenge game and told him about the possibility of making a dejavu-like game with the mouse function. Several days later, he popped in the IRC channel and sent me a tech demo that mimics the gameplay of Princess Tomato in Salad Kingdom game for NES. The engine eventually got simplified over time, mainly because conflicting GUI design. I still hope to use the retro’s original Princess Tomato engine in the future though.

I modeled the story format after old time radio drama shows like Suspense, CBC’s Nightfall, and BBC’s Fear On Four. If you’ve never heard of them before, they’re pretty much the radio equivalent of shows like Twilight Zone and Outer Limits. The game itself is pretty short; you can probably finish it in one sitting.

The game uses the SFX feature not included in Tirgoviste, it’s important that you run the game using the executable Included in the ZIP file. Also, right-click to advance the textbox.

Known bugs:
1. game.exe reports a loop error message during start-up; this happens VERY rarely. If this happens to you, just restart the game.

2. The cursor jitters up and down by 1-3 pixels when clicking a hot spot. I don’t know why this happens. The mouse function works fine in
Serendipity+. This bug happens quite often, but it’s not game-breaking.

3. Sometimes the “right click” icon doesn’t appears during linked textboxes. Again, no idea what causes this. It worked fine on Serendipity+. Like bug #2, this one is a minor bug. You probably won't notice it when you run into it.
"I am Collins. From my position in the moon's orbit, I watched Armstrong and Aldrin land and walk on the surface. I was so close to the ground of the moon, and yet I returned without having trod upon it... I am Collins." -Friend
Mike Caron
Technomancer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate to break this to you, Friend, but the sound effects API is about to change.

Specifically, you no longer need to worry about loading or freeing sounds, this is taken care of 100% automatically. Second, play sound, etc. now take the sfx constants (sfx:jump, etc.), since there are no more "slots", per se.

It's not in the nightly yet, I'm still writing it, but keep it in mind.

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
Official OHRRPGCE Wiki and FAQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Friend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah. I don't think I have much to worry about. The game is done at this point. I'll keep it in mind before I start another project though.
"I am Collins. From my position in the moon's orbit, I watched Armstrong and Aldrin land and walk on the surface. I was so close to the ground of the moon, and yet I returned without having trod upon it... I am Collins." -Friend
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Mike! You should be telling that to me! Now I'll have to go and fix up the sound fx stuff when you update! Huh?

Artimus Bena
Admiral

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too am surprised how short the production time proved to be. When we were first discussing the music, you told me you had it lined up for halloween! To anyone who hasn't played this yet, do so immediately. It's probably the most creative use of the engine I can imagine. Not to mention a great little game.

|||Compositions!
|||Eldardeen Soundtrack!
|||Red Mercury!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Friend, I hope you never stop making games.

I have finished, and there were several points where it scared the shit out of me. I'm reviewing this right away.

Friend

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you finished pretty fast. I expected that people will get stumped on that two puzzles on day 3 for a while. You seem to get by without much problems though.

Actually, I was a bit surprised that I completed the game much earlier than expected too. When I completed day 1, I thought for sure that I won't be able to make it for Halloween.
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(SPOILERS)

Yeah, it took me two hours, and I definitely got stuck on the puzzles for a while. There was the picture... that one I couldn't figure out, even knowing about where to click, and I think I got it after reverse clicking it or something. The combination puzzle was a bit tricky, but I just had to put two and two together and the tidbit I wrote down was the answer Happy

The last puzzle really got me there! But persistance paid off and after that... the shocking conclusion. What?!?!

I submitted the review for your game. I will also have one for Boundless Ocean eventually, and I congradulate you on making games that always entertain and make you use your brain. Razz

Friend

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the solution to that painting puzzle is somewhat obscure. It's hinted on the paper you find in the other guest room. You have to think phonetically for that one.
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean? I know it meant right eye, gold ring, locked (her hair locks?) and her lips, but I wasn't sure which eye was supposed to be her right (her right or my right?) and clicking them in order didn't seem to work.

Friend

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, you figured it out. That locked part refers to the locket though. I just tested the game real quick again. Yeah, it will only work if you click it in that order.
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(MORE SPOILERS)

Ohh, the LOCKET. I was thinking locks of hair... no wonder it didn't work. I must have clicked the locket then when it did work.

I noticed the heartbeat sound effect for your game, and mine also has it too. The game is almost ready for PHC and you to playtest, and you'll notice that I also have the same heartbeat sound in my game as well Raspberry!. Those parts where I said the game scared the shit out of me? The sound effects helped it! The part with the eye was probably the freakiest... or maybe the shadow that walked by? Frickin scary...

Friend

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 12:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I got the heartbeat sound from ljudo.com. Also, I no longer check the e-mail I provided in my profile. It got swamped with spam and I eventually got too lazy too trudge through all the trash. Use the e-mail that I provided on my webpage.
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will do. Gmail is great, especially since you can choose to block key words which really filter out spam.

AdrianX
..yeah.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..i finished it in about two hours too.i got the key from the corpse accidentally.. i was about to give up Oookay...

..the game is very scary, i cover my face with my hands every time i open a door. Ha ha ha!
..keep doing these kind of games, Friend.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: