Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Here's a problem I've never figured out

View previous topic :: View next topic  
byako
Shogun

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:13 pm    Post subject: Here's a problem I've never figured out Reply with quote

When altering stats of an enemy, such as changing rewards (ie HP, EXP, bonus items after battle) I have to restart a game from the beginning in order to see the effect. I cannot use the existing save file.
This is a big time waster, especially if I am hours into a game.
Is there something I am missing or is this typical for everyone?
Really confused
I don't recall this being a problem with the actual in battle stats, such as strength, HP, ect.
matricx re-hacked a great little game
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

!!!!???

There are some things that get preserved in the SAV game... but enemy stats is definitely not one of them.

I am very puzzled by the problem you describe. I have no idea what could cause it.
byako
Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 6:58 am    Post subject: ??? Reply with quote

Maybe it is just me, but I have noticed this with nearly every game file I have started...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: ??? Reply with quote

byako wrote:
Maybe it is just me, but I have noticed this with nearly every game file I have started...

I just don't get how that is possible... I am looking at the code, and there simply isn't any enemy data being written to the SAV file

What specific enemy data are you changing here? Are we talking about HP? strength? Attack lists? Spawning?
byako
Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Rewards Reply with quote

Sorry. I guess that was not clear enough in first post. Rolling Eyes
It's the rewards the given after a battle; Gold, HP, and possibly items, although those don't occur enough to check (I suppose I could change that stat to 100%)

Say, for example, an enemy gives out 5 exp and 5 gold, but after a battle I decide that it is not enough so I increase both (or either). When I go back into battle (same game save file) that enemy's rewards have not changed.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really want to figure out why this is happening. I went over the SAV format with a fine tooth comb, and there is absolutely no way thet enemy rewards could be stored in the SAV unless you yourself wrote a plotscript that saves/loads enemy rewards manually into global variables using the "read enemy data" and "write enemy data" commands -- and I don't think those commands even existed back when you first wrote this game.

What happens if you make a *very large* change to the enemy rewards? Like instead of 5 gold, change it to 5000 gold. What about experience? What about making an enemy that drops items when you beat it? Are those changes applied?
msw188

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some simple things to check. First, your game is not set to "read only", is it? Secondly, you're not using any scripts that write enemy data (thus overwriting the rewards, perhaps), are you? Thirdly, make sure you increase by enough to increase the actual amount of EXP given. If there is more than one hero, EXP gets divided (it'd be nice to have a bitset to override this, by the way). Fourthly, make sure the enemies that you are changing are not running away (I'm pretty sure enemies running away do not contribute to rewards at all).

Do the changes you make persist in custom? As in, let's say you change the Ogre's EXP reward from 10 to 20, save and quit, then go play the game and fight an Ogre. Somehow the reward didn't change. Now go back into custom, and see if the Ogre's EXP reward is still 20, or if it changed back to 10.

By the way, you aren't trying to see retroactive changes, are you? If you fought an Ogre before saving, and then change the rewards in custom, and then load the game, it cannot change your current gold or EXP based on what the reward now should have been. The new rewards should only be figured in all future battles.

This website link is for my funk/rock band, Euphonic Brew:
www.euphonicbrew.com
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

msw188 wrote:
Fourthly, make sure the enemies that you are changing are not running away (I'm pretty sure enemies running away do not contribute to rewards at all).

Nope. Running away has no effect on rewards, but there is a separate attack bitset called "Destroy target's rewards" which can be used in combination with a running away attack to simulate that effect.
Raekuul
Delicious!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS is exactly why beta testing of games is important, people!

Anyhow, the rewards are applied, it seems, when there is a new game. I have a special Dev-Only map set aside in Deevil Exterminator just to test the enemies. But I digress. Why not save a new save file, and then immediately load the old file, just to be safe.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 17, 2007 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raekuul wrote:
THIS is exactly why beta testing of games is important, people!

Anyhow, the rewards are applied, it seems, when there is a new game. I have a special Dev-Only map set aside in Deevil Exterminator just to test the enemies. But I digress. Why not save a new save file, and then immediately load the old file, just to be safe.

Wait, are you saying that you have the same problem with old rewards in old SAV files that byako is seeing?
byako
Shogun

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 6:08 am    Post subject: Um, ok. So I have caused an unneeded stir Reply with quote

Sorry James.
I bumped the rewards by a huge a mount and finally did see a change.
I guess I forgot about the the rewards being divided...

Big grin Pissed off!
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Um, ok. So I have caused an unneeded stir Reply with quote

byako wrote:
Sorry James.
I bumped the rewards by a huge a mount and finally did see a change.
I guess I forgot about the the rewards being divided...

:D :angry:

That's okay. We all make mistakes. I have a few hundred of my own documented in detail in the bug-tracking system :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: