Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

What art is public domain?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fortis
don't make me come over there

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you're underestimating your artistic abilities quite a bit. The best OHR games often began with terrible graphics. Some people kept at it and got better, but others with no patience for drawing, would release a game strong in non-graphical areas and usually the quality would speak for itself, and an artist would join up and help with redoing the graphics.

That's the sure-win strategy. Despite what a lot of people at CP might like to think, the attitude of the dedicated is "put up or shut up". We get a lot of people asking for graphics for nothing, so having a game that's awesome otherwise helps you get them a lot.

Otherwise no, Vikings is the only repository of public domain OHR graphics that's worth using. It (a repository of public domain graphics) is a pretty solid idea if you ask me, and the project has been started a few times by various people, but has always fizzled out.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was at least (probably more) one other public domain good OHR graphics package, with a couple of tilesets and things. I think it included tents. I can't find it. I suspect it's not on the gamelist. It probably wouldn't have been enough to make a game from... but if you combine several sets with your own to fill the gaps, I imagine you could manage.

When you do draw your own graphics, you have to ask yourself whether hours to perfect a tile is worth it (a polished game will have it). If you can draw a half decent tile quickly, consider stopping. Perfectionism is sometimes really just bad time management.
MenosTorpe

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Short story long: I was grateful for the answers provided here, but because of how little I enjoy art (coughunderstatementcough) I decided to pursue other options. After looking into a wide variety of systems, I made a few small games but ultimately didn't find anything that I would like for a more substantial RPG.

In the end, my desire to create won out over the principle of not ripping off graphics. I made a brief but complete (4-8 hour) game, but it has only a handful of sprites not taken directly from Vikings of Midgard.

This kind of remix doesn't sit well with me, which is why I didn't mention the game here for some time. But I haven't found anyone willing to give in-depth gameplay feedback like this community enjoys, so I've found my way back here with this post. Would it be worth any of our time to present the game here?
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, do it. This is the kind of thing Vikings was pub dom'd for.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you. Off to the announcements forum, then.
Chenzi
User was banned for this post

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alternatively, you could get some template walkabout pictures, and draw more detail on them. It's a great way to learn, other than going through tutorials and drawing them yourself.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: