Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

PSX to OHRRPGCE Conversion Test
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 4:48 pm    Post subject: PSX to OHRRPGCE Conversion Test Reply with quote

Hello,

I used to be somewhat actively involved in this community, but that was a long time ago. Recently, I wanted to see if I could port a PS1 game to the OHRRPGCE and used Resident Evil/Biohazard as an example. This is the result of my work and the highest resolution I could achieve with the current limitations. I'm glad to see the engine itself is getting better.

A video of the intro: http://rapidshare.com/files/129743346/PU_demo_intro.rar.html

Game play images:

I'm thinking about starting an original game if anyone is interested in helping out.
Gizmog1
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These screenshots are amazing. What kind of help exactly are you needing, and what kind of original project are you interested in pursuing? I haven't downloaded this thing yet, 'cause I'm kind of wary of Rapidshare for some reason, but I'm really interested to see what this thing is like.
LongeBane

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry giz, you didn't miss anything. I watched the movie myself and didn't really get to actually see much of ingame graphics. Only some backdrops tied together, that's it. I'd like a REDO of it, or the rpg file itself and not a video like that again.
Welsh

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm... LongeBane, I don't have anything recent, but here is a video from an older version:

http://rapidshare.com/files/153533760/PU_tech_demo_2008.mp4.html

It was created as a tech demo, so a lot of features from the final version were not implemented. It's outdated by about 6 months. Slow game play, no plot scripting, enemies or final elements.

For help, I'm looking for a Japanese translator, 2-3 artists, musician, and possibly programmer.

Here are some additional screen captures:

TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Japanese translator? Why?

So, how are you going about this? Taking screencaptures from a good angle, downsizing and touching up where you can and drawing the rest?

I recognise this room:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/resident-evil/screenshots/gameShotId,122901/
Pretty interesting to see how you've rendered it in 2D

Is the text on that 'CHIMEAA' screen meant to be readable?

I would perhaps have recommended tweaking the palette before starting (to add more shades of grey). Notice that you can import multiple palettes. You could convert each backdrop to a 256 colour image using an optimum palette, which is usually a massive improvement, and import it with the palette. Custom will automatically generate a closest-match set of UI-colours for textboxes, etc. There's no way to display a backdrop with the correct palette automatically, you'll have to script it using 'load palette'. It also can't be used for battle backdrops, since everything else will have a different palette.

That battle system looks interesting! Is it scripted or done with normal battles?

BTW: Is the limitation on resolution you mention the 20x20 size of tiles and NPCs?
Welsh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

In case I decide to do another port.

Quote:
So, how are you going about this? Taking screencaptures from a good angle, downsizing and touching up where you can and drawing the rest?

Pretty much.

Quote:
recognise this room:
http://www.mobygames.com/game/windows/resident-evil/screenshots/gameShotId,122901/
Pretty interesting to see how you've rendered it in 2D

Thanks!

Quote:
Is the text on that 'CHIMEAA' screen meant to be readable?

No. That's actually an original picture I added to the slideshow. Even in the PSX game they're not readable.

Quote:
I would perhaps have recommended tweaking the palette before starting (to add more shades of grey). Notice that you can import multiple palettes. You could convert each backdrop to a 256 colour image using an optimum palette, which is usually a massive improvement, and import it with the palette. Custom will automatically generate a closest-match set of UI-colours for textboxes, etc. There's no way to display a backdrop with the correct palette automatically, you'll have to script it using 'load palette'. It also can't be used for battle backdrops, since everything else will have a different palette.

Are you telling me you can import multiple master palettes? How did you accomplish this?

Quote:
That battle system looks interesting! Is it scripted or done with normal battles?

Scripted.

Quote:
BTW: Is the limitation on resolution you mention the 20x20 size of tiles and NPCs?

Yeah. It's tough to get some things to look good with 20x20 tiles and NPCs.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You did a really amazing job. The controls are probably better than in the PSX version, too.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Welsh

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking about porting another PSX title, but I'm not sure yet. Any ideas or projects in the works?

On a side note, I'm interested in resolutions. If anyone has a 24 bit. spite I'd like to see how much of the original I can maintain.
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welsh wrote:
I'm thinking about porting another PSX title, but I'm not sure yet. Any ideas or projects in the works?

On a side note, I'm interested in resolutions. If anyone has a 24 bit. spite I'd like to see how much of the original I can maintain.

What?!?!

Do it.

Do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it!!

That looks awesome!

Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onlyoneinall wrote:
What?!?!

Do it.

Do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it do it!!

That looks awesome!

Same goes for you, make more horror games like nao!
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
Welsh

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bloodlust looks pretty good. I played the demo a while back.

I noticed when you reach the city skyline to the north and try to cross the fence to the left there's a glitch (?) that forces you to battle the giant eyeball in a continuous loop. I had to restart from the save point.

When will the final version be released?
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 12:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really, REALLY pushing for the final to be released by the end of January '09 at the latest. The game is pushing 90% complete right now, so in a few months seems possible.

And in the final version, that glitch will be no more, along with not losing ammo when switching guns. Big grin

TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welsh wrote:
Quote:

In case I decide to do another port.

Hmm? How far complete is the Resident Evil port?

Welsh wrote:
Quote:

Are you telling me you can import multiple master palettes? How did you accomplish this?

There's two ways to import a master palette:
Firstly, you can import them from the 'View Master Palettes..." menu, which is well hidden in the general settings menu. Accepted formats are any 256 colour BMP file, a 16x16 24-bit BMP file, or .MAS (the old OHR-specific 6 bits per component format)
Secondly, if you import a 256-colour tilemap or backdrop which uses a palette not identical to the active palette, you'll be given the option of importing it. If you do, that the current 'active editing' palette will be changed to the newly imported one, you'll probably want to go to the master palettes menu to change it back afterwards.

Quote:

What do you mean? And where's that from?
Robot
Skeleton King

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks amazing!

Damn, I can't wait to play it! Any ideas on another game you would like to port? But, don't stop with this project, PLEASE, it looks like you've put a lot of work into it and it looks great!
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only good Japanese translators are actually Japanese though. As in, from the country.

I don't think we have anyone from Japan on here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: