Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

NEW "Hero of Time" TRAILER!!!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: NEW "Hero of Time" TRAILER!!! Reply with quote

As some of you know, though most of you probably don't, I've been composing the score to the BMB Finishes film "The Hero of Time", an independent film based upon the Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time story.

They've just now, this Thanksgiving, released the new official trailer (as well as the new movie website) which features excerpts from the score I spent 16 months composing (when you factor in full-time college, part-time work, several bouts of laziness, and a World of Warcraft addiction....yeah).

Enjoy the new trailer at:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPTpjK88apc

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm trying to be excited for you here, Setu, but then you had to go and show us that video.
Trying to keep the criticism relevant to save me some time, whoever mixes your sound really needs to stop making your music drown out all the dialogue.
alright so maybe it's better that way actually
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not my film. All I did was compose the music to it. The guys from BMB Finishes did everything else, including make this trailer.

So you can criticize the film and trailer all you want and it doesn't reflect on me. I'm just the composer.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jack
the fool

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'd ever be able to get over the fact that Link doesn't talk.
Clutcher of toes.

Location: In the thoughts and dreams of all the world's children.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...dude? Isn't this some IGN April Fool's Joke?

My wife walked up behind me as I was watching it and TOTALY made fun of me! So this movie, which I am in no way affiliated with, managed to embarrass me. Shouldn't you be just a little embarrassed yourself, Setu? I mean, I'm sure the music is great and all...

Also, did you let that guy borrow your Link costume?

P.S.: Jack's signature is the greatest thing in the world! You should compose some music for THAT!

EDIT: It DOES reflect on you. But if that's what you have to tell yourself... I at least hope you got paid, but something tells me that wasn't in the budget. They probably sunk all of the money into those awesome special effects. I guess what I am trying to say is: I think this sucks, and now I think YOU suck. Sorry.
Jack
the fool

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it just me, or does David Blane look like David Blaine, and coincidentally: a douche?

♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The music part of it was pretty nice.

Wish you'd come back to making music for games though :(
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

8bit: Go on YouTube right now, look for the IGN trailer, and then watch this one again and tell me if it's the same film.

Trust me, I wasn't given 80+ minutes of footage to score over a year's time for an April Fools joke, and too many people have confused this for that.

No, I have actually never met these people in person. I've communicated with them through e-mail and cell phone, so there's no way that I could have let him borrow my costume. Additionally, I didn't come onto this project until summer of 2007 when they had started this production in early 2004.

Altogether, it's good to know that Castle Paradox hasn't changed one bit and people are still set out to tear down everything they couldn't do themselves because they expected nothing less than absolute perfection. Almost reminds me why I left in the first place.

If you'd like, and you're determined to insult me and the work I've spent long months working on, I'd be glad to save myself the time of coming here to check on this thread and again delete this place from my bookmarks.

Jack
the fool

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I'm concerned, no one has insulted your work. While I might not have commented on it, that's not to say I didn't liked it. I'll admit it's hard to keep a straight face with that as my visual, though. I'm with 8-bit when I say your music is definitely effected by the movie.
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, I think this movie looks like huge fun. Probably hillarious, but really fun. It makes me want to throw an "Independent Fan-Film" festival at my house :)
Mariel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like a total geekfest. In other words, awesomesauce!

I've seen a couple fan-based Zelda movies, most are just a bunch of kids with a camera and access to some sort of foresty place. This one reminds me of shows like Doctor Who and Charmed. Yeah, the special effects are ridiculous and the lines are cheesy, but that's what makes it fun. Not every movie needs to be a billion-dollar enterprise.

Actually, the special effects weren't that bad. I'm wondering how they got such a range of sets... it doesn't look like it was all green screened.

And the music was really great, Setu. 8bit, you're being an ass.
Uncommon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mariel wrote:
Not every movie needs to be a billion-dollar enterprise.

I dunno if anyone really said that, but I've seen people with smaller budgets do a lot better than this. The special effects are obviously cheap, but the biggest problem with them in the trailer is how they threw them all into just one part of it. Kinda overwhelming and embarrassing you for them at the same time.
The annoying (probably fake) British accents just take it one further. Perhaps it could have been fun, but that it seems to take itself so seriously kills it for me. It's giving you something that cannot be taken seriously, but asking that you do anyway. Maybe the movies better than that, maybe they actually had a good time making it, but that's not what I'm seeing in the trailer. All I'm seeing is a pretentious fantasy epic, and there's nothing fun about that (this is why i hated twilight princess).
is there a scene about the part where you're out of the castle at night and zombies come all hell out to get you
that could be fun at least

And I've always had a major beef with movies that don't know how to mix sound. You remember the Ralph Bakshi animated Hobbit movie? You remember how you couldn't hear whatever the hell the head dwarf was saying on his deathbed because the music drowned him out? Yeah, I really hate when movies do that.

All that being said, yeah, 8bit's being a bit of a douchebag. I guess he's acting out because he felt embarrassed in front of his lady-type.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
8bit
Clutcher of toes.

Location: In the thoughts and dreams of all the world's children.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll admit it: I was being a douchebag. I probably didn't have to tell you that I thought you sucked. The music was good. But come on! You worked for 16 months on a soundtrack and posted the subject with 3 exclamation points after it. So obviously you think this movie has some kind of redeeming value (in stark contrast to my view of it.) Then you totally tried to distance yourself from it! Own it, man!

I was being sarcastic when I said that IGN thing. I'm sure most of the people that said that to you were, too.

So yeah. Sorry man. That was just my knee-jerk reaction. But did you honestly think that no one was going to goof on it? I assume you knew someone would. That's why you added that disclaimer about how you only did the score and had NOTHING to do with the trailer.

From now on I'll try to be more peaches n' cream instead of honest n' outraged. Don't leave CP on account of me. I'm just one douchebag.[/i]
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't expect everyone to accept the movie; it was your comment toward me that pissed me off, because it was uncalled for.

But anyway, setting that aside, I've seen much of the footage without the visual effects, and knowing how they brought it all together did in fact impress me, especially knowing that the director himself did those visual effects by himself because the rest of his effects team lazied out on him.

If you want my honest opinion, there are several departments where the film lacks, but given that most of the work was done by two people on a very low budget, I think they did a damn good job with what they had to work with.

And among the many other camcorder attempts at making LoZ films, I think this one takes the cake - of course taking into account that the flawless IGN joke would have made for a better effects-driven movie.

But what you hear in this trailer is only snippets of the entire score. There is much more to the sound of the score that this trailer just doesn't do justice. I'd post samples, but I think they'd rather I wait until they release the soundtrack.

Uncommon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, the IGN trailer looked really dumb to me, too. Like, really really dumb. I was amazed that people could've believed it was real (come on, i mean the costumes were cosplay quality).
I might just have an inborn aversion to Zelda fanfilms. Or it could be OoT fanfilms. Show me the trailer to a Wind Waker fanfilm, maybe it could change my mind.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: