Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

TERRIBLE GAMES CONTEST - 2009 - WHAT IS LOVE - VOTING
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:41 am    Post subject: TERRIBLE GAMES CONTEST - 2009 - WHAT IS LOVE - VOTING Reply with quote

The time has come to vote for the winners or the Terrible Games Contest. You know how this works, but in case you've forgotten, here's a brief run-down.

I will not be judging what constitutes a "terrible game". Therefore, I am continuing last year's practice of allowing people to vote for which games were the "best/worst/whatever". It is your obligation to vote on the entries, in however manner you choose. As in all previous contests, the cream of the crop always rises to the top.

VOTING AND SCORING

Voting will begin from May 1st to May 14th, effectively giving two weeks to play each game and vote whose games were the best/worst/whatever. This is also to collect data for Hamsterspeak Magazine, whose subsequent June issue will reveal the contest winner.

Anyone may vote on the games, and may rate each one on a scale of 1 (awful) to 5 (best). You may have games that have identical scores, if you so choose. What constitutes a bad or good "terrible" game is your decision, as is the nature of the contest. Based on the theme of this contest, you must take into account whether the game's creator successfully met the contest's theme, "Love" and/or "SCIENCE!!". I will not be checking to see whether your score is an accurate reflection of that, or upon what other criteria you have for voting the way you've chosen. As always, comments on each submission are welcome and ultimately helpful to the contestants. Your score sheet should look something like this:

Scorecard:
Put on socks - 2
Put on pants - 3
Surlaw and Order - 4
Cross the street - 5
Barely Legal Seals - 1
Wandering YOU FOUND THE SECRET WORD! - 2

If you fail to vote on any one game, I will assume you DID NOT play it, and accordingly give it an automatic score of 3. Consequently, it is in your own interests to play each game, even if only for a little bit, so you can judge it yourself.

People who are NOT regular OHRRPGCE game creators are free to join AND vote. The only requirement for an "outsider" to vote is that they MUST register an account on any of these websites (Castle Paradox, Slime Salad, Surlaw Forums).

You may only vote ONCE. Yes, you can vote for your own game. Voting shall begin May 1st and will end on the 14th, to allow people enough time to play the games and vote on them.

After the votes have been tallied and the points added up, any deductions incurred on the contestants' behalf will be subtracted from their score. At this point, a maximum number of deducted points can be 5, but with each passing day that penalty will increase. Remember you CAN slip in a late entry, however it not only suffers from a lack of representation on the front page, but also diminishing points each day. The game with the MOST points on the 14th of May wins, and its creator gets a -PRIZE-!!

PRIZES!!

The 1st Place Winner will receive $25 USD (by check) sent by mail to your home address, OR 2500 Slimebucks. I said the prize was not insignificant, did I not? 2500 can turn a low level newbie into an instant mid-high tier brawler in the slime fights, so consider the ramifications of having access to so many slimebucks.

Second place will receive 1500 Slimebucks as a consolation prize.

Third place receives 1000 Slimebucks.

All contest entries will immediately receive Slimebucks as a gratuity for entering the contest, assuming they are registered on Slime Salad. Therefore, no further placement is awarded.

THE GAMES:

The game list is as follows:

<3 by Twinconclusive

A shot in the Dark by Uncommon

Babies vs Robots by Spoonweaver

Bob the Hamster in the Crypt of Baconthulhu by James Paige

Moron Mission by Rurouni Catholic

Techno Ship Funkatron by Spoonweaver

The Pope's War on Science by 8bit Pontiff

Timestream Saga - Arcadia Incident Report by Fenrir-Lunaris

Village People: The Videogame by Surlaw

Please note that [<3] will receive a -5 penalty for being released early.

And to the entering contestants, whose reputations will no doubt be ruined by these games, good luck, and godspeed.
Gizmog1
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

<3 by Twinconclusive - 4
Might actually answer the theme too well. Trippiest OHR game I've ever played.

A shot in the Dark by Uncommon - 3

Didn't really fit the theme, but it was sort of an interesting exploration of the gambler's paradox. I know I played through it at least 5 or 6 times trying to make sure I'd seen every possible outcome.

Babies vs Robots by Spoonweaver - 3

A marvelous example of the scientific method at work. Babies, or robots?
I have no idea how the hell spoilers but you can't argue with ...SCIENCE!

Bob the Hamster in the Crypt of Baconthulhu by James Paige - 4

I want to spend more time with this game. I got trapped in a corner by 3 octopi and a walrus on level 2, and haven't finished yet. I'd dock it for not following the theme, but Bacon is as good a definition of love as ever I've heard. If it weren't for James' trustworthy status, I'd ask Fenrir to double-check and make sure this wasn't a good game in disguise.

Moron Mission by Rurouni Catholic - 1

A nostalgic reminder of why you should always blow into your NES cartridge. And minus a zillion points for the title!

Techno Ship Funkatron by Spoonweaver - 5

3 intrepid space explorers push the boundaries of the universe, society, and love. Great soundtrack, subtle social commentary and dancing. Everything a terrible game should aspire to be.

The Pope's War on Science by 8bit Pontiff - 4
The sound effects really make this. Also, features the obligatory funny sandwich, and all made under a nom de plume! Fine showing of terrible gamesmanship.

Timestream Saga - Arcadia Incident Report by Fenrir-Lunaris - 3
When the hell did Fenrir get good at plotscripting? As much fun as killing Arabs is, I'm not sure it counts as love or Science. I'm also sorry to report it's damn good. I could definitely keep playing this.

Village People: The Videogame by Surlaw - 5
The graphis are neat, the story is funny, and it feels well polished and detailed. I gave it a bonus point because I've still got that damn music stuck in my head.

EDIT: I am a moron and thought voting went to 6. I've changed my scores. Sorry.

DOUBLE EDIT: In light of the author's protest, I've given A Shot In The Dark a +2 bonus for scientific merit, and a -1 penalty for not being a game. It is still terrible, and thus receives no further modifiers. (Anyone else who doesn't like their grade, go ahead and try me! I'm a notorious pushover!)

Last edited by Gizmog1 on Mon May 04, 2009 8:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmog1 wrote:
A shot in the Dark by Uncommon - 2

Didn't really fit the theme, but it was sort of an interesting exploration of the gambler's paradox. I know I played through it at least 5 or 6 times trying to make sure I'd seen every possible outcome.

But think about how science is done, how a hypothesis progresses to a proof. It's through experimentation! Therefore, I could present A Shot In The Dark as an experiment in the gambler's fallacy by pitting it in a controlled environment. More reliable than Super Monetary Battle and more entertaining than simply flipping a coin. This game just reeks of science!

Other pretentious justifications for how this game meets the contest theme:
1. Like most of my games these days, it doesn't care about the story it's telling or the characters in the story (evidenced by its callous treatment of them), but more in how it's told. The science it's concerned with is the science of storytelling.
2. The love in the game is more conspicuous in its absence. The player was supposed to bring humanity, love, to the decisions of the cold, completely scientific deity-type, but its two aspects are too caught up in their battle of science vs. drama that there is no room for love, only luck.

man i should have my own contest to see who can come up with the most pretentious analysis of this game
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of not meeting the contest theme, I call into question almost all of the games.

A shot in the Dark
even though it's already being discussed

Bob the Hamster in the Crypt
The science and love parts seem very last momenty, like james had this game and added a science and love npc to fit the theme. Also, it's not terrible at all.

Moron Mission
Terrible game, yes. About love and/or science. I'm unsure... I refuce to play enough of this to find out.

Timestream Saga
Not love-ish, not really science-ish, and pretty good to boot. Plus it's a remake.

Village People: The Videogame
well unless you count gay love, which I do. so nvm. But it's hardly terrible. and I can't help but shake the fact that surlaw was making this before he even knew of the contest.

I may be wrong about some of these, but I just wanted to point out what I thought.
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
Surlaw wrote:
-"Terrible Games Contest" has become a misnomer. I still enjoy the contests, but (especially last year) they don't really have anything to do with games that are terrible. I think this is a GOOD thing, because its produced much more fun games than the old contest, but the name is really misleading nowadays.

The misleading name is part of the ongoing joke, but by OHR contests, this one *IS* terrible just because it does things no other OHR contest does. Firstly it actually gives out prizes (Human Day, Halloween, 48 Hours) which is apparently taboo as far as the others go. Furthermore, this contest EATS other contests that happen to fall within the same time frame as it. Remember the April Fool's contest? Yep, separate deal. Moreover, the vaguely nebulous rules of the contest itself are constructed in such a way that ANYTHING could pass for a Terrible Game, which is both an exciting and frightening prospect. Finally, and to the best of my knowledge, this is the ONLY contest where a virtual unknown to the community could play the "wild card" and have an entire group of Non-OHRers come in and vote within the contest in a massive swing vote.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that it's become a Terrible (Games Contest), and not a (Terrible Games) Contest. This is entirely my fault, and I've mixed feelings on this. For one, I feel that I've actually betrayed the soul of the original contest's idea and flavor in exchange for producing a unique excuse for people to make ridiculous games that are witty and amusing, and would likely never get made without the contest existing. I mean, Edutainment. Who would have ever thought of that one?

But then again, I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. I suppose we'll actually see if there is truly a "split" in the OHR community by watching what results in the contest come out from both Slime Salad and Castle Paradox respectively. My money's on Slime Salad producing a contest winner (probably Surlaw from the looks of it), but at this point I've no idea what will happen and that is an exciting prospect.

It really should just be called the Ridiculous Games Contest.

Terrible games are a tired joke and it is no longer the aspiration of this contest. We've moved on to better things. And honestly, I'd call your games into question as well as far as LOVE/SCIENCE goes (yeah okay, babies are sometimes the product of love, robots are the product of science, but there is no love in Techno Ship Funkatron, only hate).
Also, calling a game you haven't played into question is stupid.

Spoon Weaver wrote:
I can't help but shake the fact that surlaw was making this before he even knew of the contest.

Surely you mean "feeling"? There is no evidence to support this as a fact.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. It was kind of wrong to call the village people into question. That might have been sub-conscience jealousy. It's slotted to win for sure.
Gizmog1

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, guys, it's pointless to bicker over what fits the theme and whether or not these are meant to be terrible. That's all up to your personal interpretation of the contest (Hell, it even says that in the rules!).

Besides, if really we wanted to be picky, couldn't the case be made that some of the entrants aren't even games to begin with? Crying out loud, it sounds like there's actually competition here, and not just the fly by night goofiness that made this a great contest to start with.
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You make a good point giz. I only felt the need to point out games other then A shot in the Dark that could be argued as not fitting the theme. I honestly don't care. and won't be changing my votes anyways. (One of which was a 5 for one of the games on the list I posted.)

Terrible game contests need terrible arguments, and terrible reasons for them, and of course terrible people to participate by making terrible votes or (of course) making terrible games.

Let the terribleness reign.
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 4:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exclamation
This is just a contest to make silly games that we would be too embarrassed to even think of making at any other time of the year.
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwinHamster wrote:
Exclamation
This is just a contest to make silly games that we would be too embarrassed to even think of making at any other time of the year.

Someone has grasped the nature of the whole contest. My work here is done : D

Except I still have to collect votes Neutral
Spoon Weaver

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2009 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Exclamation

Hmmm, that makes since. I think the problem I was having is that I don't get embarrassed by uploading potential stinkers.

Perhaps I will work harder on my entries next year.
Gizmog1

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you aren't watching James' Video Reviews of these entries, you're not doing it right. You can watch them on his youtube page here
http://www.youtube.com/user/JamesPaige. He hasn't finished all of them yet, but whenever I refresh and there's a new one it is a great surprise. Really makes me wish I'd entered this year, hee-hee!
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re-posting from the Slime Salad voting thread, here are my votes, and links to all my video first impressions.

---
Okay! having finally finished all the entries, I have my votes! This is the hardest part for me, because I hate numerically quantifying how much I like a thing.

Uncommon's A Shot in the Dark (first impression) 4/5

Spoonweaver's BABIES vs ROBOTS (first impression) 3/5

Rurouni Catholic's Moron Mission (first impression) 1/5

Fenrir-Lunaris's Timestream Saga - Arcadia Incident Report (first impression) 5/5

Spoonweaver's Techno Ship Funkotron (first impression) 2/5

8-bit's The Pope's War on Science (first impression) 4/5

Surlaw's Village People the Video Game (first impression) 5/5

Twinhamster's [<3] (first impression) 3/5

My Bob the Hamster in the Crypt of Baconthulhu 5/5

Gizmog1's Too Terrible (first impression) 1/5
Gizmog1

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gizmog1 wrote:
He hasn't finished all of them yet, but whenever I refresh and there's a new one it is a great surprise. Really makes me wish I'd entered this year, hee-hee!

After seeing James' review, I now wish I hadn't actually made a game. That was hilarious.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: