Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Assistance Needed: School Project created on OHRRPGCE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
slaymarc7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:31 am    Post subject: Assistance Needed: School Project created on OHRRPGCE Reply with quote

My son and his friend created a game using OHRRPGCE for a school project. The issue we are having is that it must be submitted as a URL-not a download.

Could anyone provide us some assistance on how/if this can be done. If we can not figure this out they will need to start over in a new tog program.

New to all this, so please understand if my question seems "dumb" to those of you who are experienced.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like if the rules require that it cannot be a download, then it has to be a web game (Flash, Java, or HML5)

Unfortunately that is not currently possible for an OHRRPGCE game.

You can export an installer for Windows, for Mac, or for Linux (and I could help package it as an app for Android Phones and Tables) but making it play in a web page is not currently possible, sorry :(
slaymarc7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Bob. Not the answer I was hoping for, but now I can stop researching. The reviews said their game is good (11 year olds doing this) and didn't want them to be disqualified from the competition.

This may go against your policy - but is there a Flash RPG creation engine you would suggest - similar to OHRRPGCE. Possible one where they could port over some of their stuff from the game they created.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't have any personal experience with with any tools that can export flash. I don't know whether you will be able to find one that is specific to RPG games.

Googling around a bit, I saw Stencyl and Flixel for making Flash games, and https://html5gameengine.com/ had a list of html5 game making tools.

Unfortunately most of those are going to be programming languages with a few game making tools mixed in, and I have no idea how much programming they are comfortable with.

As for re-using things from their ohrrpgce game, they can export all their sprites using the E key in the sprite editor, and they can also export their text boxes to a text file, but no other engine is going just be able to import those directly. The sprites are probably easies to re-use, and re-using the text boxes will probably require a lot of copying-and-pasting. Starting over from scratch might be easier, unfortunately.
slaymarc7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you.
Someone mentioned Sploder too. Will investigate the ones you included also. They are 11 so not really comfortable with the programming. It's going to be a long Holiday vacation while they rebuild this.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Dec 08, 2015 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish them all the best luck! :)
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if there is a tool that allows you to embed a DOS program in a browser window.

Something like this maybe: https://jamesfriend.com.au/pce-js/ibmpc-games/
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2016 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, DOSBox is commonly used to play DOS games in a browser. Here's a collection of them:
https://archive.org/details/softwarelibrary_msdos_games

I hadn't heard of the PCE.js emulator before, but it seems that it emulates the variant of the original IBM PC which first included an internal harddisk. So it's going to incapable of running almost all DOS games.

I've never tried playing old OHR games in the browser using DOSBox, but I'm 99% sure that it would work, as they run fine in normal builds of DOSBox. However the last version of the OHR which ran on DOS was Hasta-la-qb+ from 2006.

By the way, anyone who wants to could probably submit their OHR games to archive.org to be archived for all eternity :P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum