Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

VMDS (Or is it VDMS?)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 12:35 am    Post subject: VMDS (Or is it VDMS?) Reply with quote

I see the music add-on is uploaded here, but where can I get the actual VMDS (or VDMS... whatever it is)? The new laptop I'm getting is an XP (curse you Microsoft!) and I'll need it pretty soon...

EDIT: Hey, X P is also an emoticon! Suits it well, to...
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can shut off emoticons in your post with a button under the post form, BTW. Should I change the XP icon to a different symbol? I might add a "nose" or something to it because I've seen the XP icon appear where I believe it wasn't intended more than once.

But to stay on topic, VDMS is available at http://www.ece.mcgill.ca/~vromas/vdmsound/. I have had a lot of success with it, being a Win2k user. Once you install it, right click Custom.exe or Game.exe and choose 'Run with VDMS'. It may make the OHR run a *tad* bit slower but it works...so :P
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The newest version of VDMS was uploaded to the Game List last night. We will evetually have a "Tools list" for useful programs, helpful scripts, etc. Just haven't implemented it yet and we felt the need to provide VDMS for anyone who couldn't hear music.
WUT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found from experience that SoundFX 2000 2.02 is the better XP sound restoration program, since VDMS has that "static" sound to it. While inherantly better, there is the SLIGHT problem of it only working for 3 minutes, whereafter a nag box closes DOS entirely. Were there only a crack for it... then Sound FX would be the truly superior product. Oookay...
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought that was just for music... so what I downloaded will let me use DOS on Windows X P?
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never encountered a "static" sound. It could be your sound card, Fenrir - I have a Soundblaster Live! 5.1.
WUT

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sound Blaster LIVE! Value. Worked PERFECTLY under 98, and I could even add effects like Reverb, and echos. It was PERFECT. Then I made the ultimate mistake of upgrading to XP. Now I have to use VDMS unfortunately. Perhaps I need new drivers for my soundcard to eliminate the "static" sound VDMS gives back (some instuments sound outright BAD)
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2003 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, I love and hate you. When I was getting a new soundcard, I asked if they could do a Live! Value, but they weren't able to get it so I had to go with a 5.1. I *wanted* that value soooo bad because of the effects you could apply. Of course, a few months later my computer crashed and I had to get Windows 2000 installed (I was running 98)...so oh well :(

Actually, my current sound card + VDMS = better BAM than my old sound card.
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

17 years of engine updates and new operating systems and for some baffling reason VDMS Sound is still getting lots of page hits. Even if you're running on Windows XP, surely you're using a copy of the OHR newer than 2009? Even when I first released Maces Wild, .BAM would automatically convert and play in-engine.

So this is just baffling. Why is the download page for VDMS OHR getting so much attention?

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see a link anywhere, so didn't see it myself, but...

Probably 0% of downloads are OHR users; if any humans are downloading it I guess it's just people coming here confused by some web search engine returning bad results. But most likely the bots see "VDMS" and like that, so are following links from the page, including the download.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: