Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Forums: Dead or Alive?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

How alive are these forums?
Very Much Alive.
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Sorta Alive.
16%
 16%  [ 3 ]
Scraping by.
55%
 55%  [ 10 ]
We're dying.
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
We're pretty much dead.
22%
 22%  [ 4 ]
Total Votes : 18

TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2012 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sure has.

Heh, I see IM has been dinking around with phpBB, because the poll bar graph has gradients now.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And whatever he did to stop the spammer flood seems to have worked nicely :)
Sparoku
Pyrithea Amethyst.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob the Hamster wrote:
And whatever he did to stop the spammer flood seems to have worked nicely Happy

Spammer flood? I must have missed that. o.o
My Discord ID: SparDanger#0305
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the great spammer flood of aught'12! For three solid days the spammers fell from the sky. No thread was left dry! We stalwart few who still homestead the plains of CastleParadox thought to see our livelyhoods swept away in the torrent! The spams flowed waist deep, and we waded to and fro, hip deep in the SEO links and obfuscated random texts, trying to keep the livestock's heads above water.

Only when we beseeched the Elder IM to do a rain-dance on our behalf and upgrade the phpbb spam filtration did it end!
FyreWulff
Still Jaded

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read through the forums once every two weeks. I browse Slimesalad once a month or so if I remember to or if someone links me to a thread on it.

It's not the heyday but you can't exactly call it dead either. Both sites still have too many subforums.

edit: I also remain subscribed to and read all the ohrrpgce development mailing list emails
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Sat Sep 05, 2020 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TMC wrote:
Ronin Catholic wrote:
This place has been dying in one way or another since I joined back in '05. Heck, I was almost scared away by that year's April Fool's prank, since it stayed on the main page as an announcement for so long.

Couldn't have been more than 9 months though.

April Fool's Day 2005: Fake "We're selling Castle Paradox/Inferior Minion is retiring and giving the site to ChaosNyte/I'm not paying to keep the site up anymore"

Me, thinking of joining that day: "Darn, I wanted to talk with other OHRRPGCE users, I guess I'll have to find another forum" (I couldn't find another forum)

Late April 2005: Same fake post still up, I start reading comments in the announcement thread. Was confirmed as a joke later, but never taken down or replaced with a different announcement.

After steeling my nerves (it was either the very end of April or the very start of May): I join, start posting in old threads because I figured it's better to bump an old thread with relevant discussion than to make a new thread on the same subject. Others disagree but in very rude manner, seem to take me reviving old threads as a personal attack of some sort. No consistency between any moderators/administrators or regular users about what length of time is "reasonable" to leave threads dead after (a month? two weeks? one week? three days? ten hours?). Unrelated to this, I act like an ass and pick fights with people over my traditional Catholic sexual morals and them being variously non-Christian or not as strict as I was taking issue with this. I was banned, justifiably.

That announcement might've been up for nine months or more? I'm pretty sure I remember it being up for a very long time, most of the rest of the year if not the entire rest of the year, but given the nature of the "joke" it was up for way too long. Up for more than the DAY OF APRIL FOOLS was way too long. It nearly scared me away and probably scared away others.

Castle Paradox was extremely hostile to newbies back in 2003-2007 and I'm not exactly sure why. A lot of users just used to be hostile to outsiders; this seems to have improved around 2008 or so and aside from "most of the worst users left or grew into actual adults" I can't think of anything that'd change. Sometimes I'm not sure why I still stick around.

But so long as this site continues to exist and I can continue to log into it and use the forum, the forum won't quite die.

BUBBLEGUM BANDAGE~

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Sparoku
Pyrithea Amethyst.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 22, 2021 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's very true. Those of us who remain keep the site alive.
My Discord ID: SparDanger#0305
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2021 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And threads about whether the site is dead or what length of necropost is reasonable will never die (of natural causes).

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Paradox Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: