Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Battles
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Battles Reply with quote

We have discussed such things before, but it is time to discuss it again.

Random encounters, Pros:
    Easier to do, especially in OHR
    Recreates the behavior in most classic RPGs

Random encounters, Cons:
    No one really likes them, except when levelbusting
    A lot of people actually dislike them
    Pretty much the most uncreative way to do encounters

If you are not convinced that people don't like random encounters, do a quick search for "encounter rate." You will probably find several references to the encounter rate being too high. You will never find anyone ever complaining about the random encounter rate being too low. People don't like random battles.

This doesn't mean that people don't like battles. If your battles are interesting, you can get away with having a lot more of them. The problem is that random encounters often feel pointless.

From http://shaede.livejournal.com/9957.html (read the whole thread):
---
In mainstream RPGs, there's hardly any distinction [between tedium and difficulty]. If it's too hard, you can circumvent the difficulty by leveling up. Poorly designed RPGs that try to be "difficult" do so by making leveling up a slow, boring process.

That's where RPGs fall apart in general, I think -- you can't really regulate how strong the players are, so you can't make battles difficult just by relying on the players' levels being at a certain point.

The last FF to try to eliminate levelbusting was FF8, but A) people hated it for that and B) as a result, it was possible and maybe even easier to beat the game without gaining a single level. Ouch. (I still like the Junction system, for what it's worth, and Triple Triad is horribly addictive.)
---

In general, random battles are avoidable: you can run away to minimize any adverse effects. Ask yourself as a designer why the player should want to fight that battle. If he is only playing the battle because he needs the GP/XP/items and not because the battle is fun, then it should be eliminated.

Of course, this isn't strictly a problem with random battles -- any encounter system will suffer this problem if you don't make your battles interesting -- but a more interesting system of encounter will help make your battles more interesting, too.

I have a hard time criticizing the experience system too much because in some games, it can actually be fun to fight battles, level up, and crush things. I do take issue with games that rely on the player spending an hour leveling up between each area. This is almost never fun.

The topic is BATTLES. Discuss.
Psychopath yandere

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you call battle systems where you see the enemy on the field before you decide to fight them? Well, whatever..

That thing I was just talking about, Pros:
- Battles become optional, and anti-random-encounter people become appeased.
- Opportunity to incorporate complicated puzzles into the aforementioned encounter system (ala Lufia 2)

That thing I was just talking about, Cons:
- Battles become trivialized. If the player is given the option to avoid normal battles, he will likely take it. Detracts from the playing experience since a lot of the battles will be wasted.
- I know I've complained a lot of the RNG in the past, but a degree of randomness is still necessary to keep a game fun. If a game didn't have any randomness, the challenge is gone as soon as the player figures out the patterns/reasoning behind everything.
- In all honesty, even with the ridiculously high encounter rates in many RPGs, I still find the need to spend time walking back and forth to gain more exp and gold and etc. Getting rid of random encounters does not necessarily remove the need for levelbusting, so the player might still spend as much time in battles as he would've with the random encounter system still in place.

Thesis: Random battles are not the problem. The classic level-up system is the problem.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In games such as Dragon Warrior IV or Final Fantasy I, the world map was actually a dangerous place because you had to travel on foot often and would frequently get jumped by monsters. The monsters were usually strong enough not to kill your party, but to put an overall drain to the point of making dungens more challenging because you would not be able to walk in at 100% HP and MP.

Not so true for more recent games, where the bulk are dungens and plot events.

My first games will likely use random encounters, because I want to make an attempt to balance out that style first.

My approach should be that enemies should be challenging (not overly difficult, but enough to leave some nasty marks), but at the same time having lower EXP and encounter rate. Why? Because if I tweak it right, it will reward players that go through the nick and crannys of dungens, blasting through random battles while trying to solve puzzles, because they won't accidently powerlevel doing so, and it will keep the enemy challenge lasting at least awhile longer. I know this is an issue, because that's what happened to me in Golden Sun: The Lost Age, due to my sucktactular at puzzles.

Bosses should be like the ones from Darkmoor Dungen, and random encounter enemies should all have at least some common group goal to make them function as a weak team.

Oh, and for my games, I think I am going to try and limit outside of battle support as much as possible. I just don't feel right being able to finish a battle, getting to 100%, then going for another. I think I will only make items and healing spells available during battle, so that they will have to plan out more, especially if enemies can do damage.

I am not wanting my games to be impossible, especially since you have to fight so many random battles, just quirky to a point where I can throw in something very hard (such as bosses or special fights) that will make that quirky idea truly challenging.
Camdog

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogle1 wrote:
In mainstream RPGs, there's hardly any distinction [between tedium and difficulty]. If it's too hard, you can circumvent the difficulty by leveling up. Poorly designed RPGs that try to be "difficult" do so by making leveling up a slow, boring process.

Yeah, this really speaks to my main problem with modern commercial RPGs. How do you keep the player from circumventing the challenge? That said, I do actually like random encounters, since they require a different sort of strategy than boss fights (resource management, such as when to drink that ether and when to spend magic points, as opposed to tactics). When done well, this can be great. Newbie_Power mentioned Dragon Warrior IV and Final Fantasy I, and those are good examples. I remember a couple of dungeons in DW4 being particularly nail-biting. Sadly, this doesn't seem to happen in commercial RPGs today.

Chrono Cross took an interesting approach to solving this problem: leave in the random encounters, but remove the rewards. Leveling up only happened after boss battles, so the designers were able to fine tune the difficulty of each section in the game. This kept the dungeons dangerous while eliminating level busting. While the game itself was kind of mediocre, I really like this approach, and can't really think of a downside off the top of my head.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The downside to only leveling up at bosses is that leveling up is an accomplishment to a player, a measure of how strong a player has become. I think leveling up should stay in, at least in my games, but the enemies should prove to be a match, even for a character that is decently leveled character. I think a good level limit would be the point where it takes a good 15 or 20 minutes to get one more level thanks to a jump in EXP requirement, and enemies should still be a bit challenging at that point, because the player developed their characters to the point where they can take on the dungen without getting wasted.

When they get to the next dungen: Repeat. The enemies' EXP rewards now match the player's new requirements, and the strength of them is boosted, nearly exponentially to match the new weapons and armor the players have gotten.

The downside? There are players that are going to spend 20 minutes to an hour to grind. There are actually people that exist in the world that pay $10-$30 a month to level up in an online RPG, so my philosophy is: I can't stop the hardcore grinders, but I should make it harder for a normal player to make the game easy by accident.

Another thing I noticed in a lot of recent RPGs is that items are so valuable that they are better than most of the skills characters can use because of the groundbreaking effects in reward of their rarity. I mean, just don't make items like these, and have the player quest for something else.
Joe Man

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've set of on a little sort of spare time project of designing a good RPG battle system (if I go anywhere with this, I plan to build a game up from there, but let me not get ahead of myself), and I've come up with all wonderful loops and tricks to make the battles interesting (I've currently working out stat variation into what I've conjured). What I've already done is taken leveling completely out of the picture, and forced the characters to advance in typical adventure game fashion, learning moves as they progress and battles getting more an more complicated.

Makes me happy to know that I've been thinking along the lines of some pros.

Last edited by Joe Man on Fri Dec 13, 1957 1:21 am; edited 2,892 time in total
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camdog wrote:
Chrono Cross took an interesting approach to solving this problem: leave in the random encounters, but remove the rewards. Leveling up only happened after boss battles, so the designers were able to fine tune the difficulty of each section in the game. This kept the dungeons dangerous while eliminating level busting. While the game itself was kind of mediocre, I really like this approach, and can't really think of a downside off the top of my head.

Explain to me how this is any good at all. Why should I fight those battles? Like you said, there is no reward. No reward means no reason to play. Given that you can run away from any fight in CC (up to and including the last boss), there is very little incentive to play through the battles.

If you're going to allow for levelbusting, a more optimal way is what Newbie_Power is suggesting (the word is spelled "dungeon," by the way) -- make enemies in each area give substantially more XP than enemies in the area previous. If you're earning five times the XP in a harder area, you'll want to levelbust in that area. You'll get up to a point where you stop gaining levels so quickly, then you'll want to proceed to the next area. The game designer can use this cycle to guess the player's approximate level. Another method is to make the bosses give a ton of experience -- say, as much as a hundred random battles -- to make it so that the players who didn't gain five levels for this boss won't need to gain those five levels before going into the next area.

There are other methods to render powerleveling less useful -- limiting stat growth on levelup comes to mind, forcing the player to rely more on equipment -- but the tradeoff, again, is making random battles feel unrewarding.

The question of healing is another matter entirely -- I personally feel that games should let you heal in battle or out of battle, but not both. I don't mean that in the extreme: think FFIX for a game that makes healing easier in-battle, Xenogears or Darkmoor Dungeon for games that make healing easy out of battle. The former creates a heavier sense of dungeon fatigue, where the latter allows you to make individual battles much more difficult.

RMDR, let's suppose the level-up system is the problem (and I don't disagree that it is). What is the solution? I want my battles to feel worthwhile: they should either advance the plot or give me cool stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would rather have a combination of dungeon (thanks) fatigue and varying difficulties of enemies for an overall dungeon experience.

The thing about Xenogears is that the better, more balanced battle engine is with the Gear Battles (unless you buy the Ether Doubler and then at endgame get the high power output Gear engines), so you have to watch out for fuel, especially because the only way to heal is with fuel expending. Xenogears is also a good example of the difference between a stat-growth system and relying on equipment, because on-foot allows for stat growth while Gears rely on upgrades. The on-foot battles were mostly about using Omegasols out of battle and using button combinations ala Sabin in-battle, so it is not as cool as being in a Gear.

The thing about Darkmoor Dungeon is that I just can't see it as a traditional RPG. Practically every encounter is a mini-boss or boss in some way, due to its nature as a challenge game. I really can't expect the player to deal with that kind of pressure if every random battle was like that in a normal RPG.

As for healing out of battle. I don't know how you want to handle it, but here is what I think I will do:

- The dungeons will require a bit of traveling to get to, so inns won't be as abusable (FF1).
- Healing spells can only be used in-battle.
- Items can only be used out of battle, and are meant to be used in numbers, not individually, so if you want to heal a large portion of HP after taking some nasty hits, you will probably need about 8 - 12 herbs or potions, instead of the usual 200 HP healing potion.
Rimudora
Psychopath yandere

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
RMDR, let's suppose the level-up system is the problem (and I don't disagree that it is). What is the solution? I want my battles to feel worthwhile: they should either advance the plot or give me cool stuff.

Essentially, you'd want the player to actually fight through most of your battles, or else you've wasted your time on them. But on the other hand, you don't want to force them to play through the same battles over and over again for relatively minimal gain, or else the game becomes boring.

I actually came up with a good alternative for a level-up system a while ago for the collab project (I am now describing the PLAN for my game, not the actual game itself since I ran out of time). The party included a thief, a red mage, and a blue mage. While none of the battles EVER gave out exp or gold, the player had to experiment with all the battles in order to become competent enough to fight the area boss.
For example, the boss of the first area was weak against fire, so the thief gets the Fire Sword after one of the battles in the area, the fire spell could be stolen from some of the enemies, the blue mage learns an important attack after provoking a certain monster, and the player himself learns about the attack patterns of certain enemies that would pop up again during the boss fight. Without getting the necessary spells, equipment, and information from an area, the boss would likely overpower the party.
With a system like this, the player would have to fight all the battles at least once, yet he would never have to fight a battle without actually have a good reason to.

Last edited by Rimudora on Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Newbie_Power wrote:
The thing about Darkmoor Dungeon is that I just can't see it as a traditional RPG. Practically every encounter is a mini-boss or boss in some way, due to its nature as a challenge game. I really can't expect the player to deal with that kind of pressure if every random battle was like that in a normal RPG.

Interesting that you should say that... the next installment in the Darkmoor series is going to be more of a standard RPG. That means there will be battles that aren't boss battles. Part of the reason I started this thread is to brainstorm for that.

Different ideas are rolling around in my head as to what to do about this: I'm debating whether I should include a standard level system and leaning towards ditching that in favor of a more ability-oriented growth system (i.e. learning new abilities rather than increasing your stats). Random encounters are out of the question, but it won't be strictly boss battles, either. The specifics are up in the air, but the essence of the game remains the same as the original while changing styles slightly to become more of a story-driven dungeoncrawler (in the more liberal sense of the word "dungeon"). The map battles will be optional -- you can still run away -- but they will also be the only method of accessing certain items and abilities.

I guess this is a reasonable alternative to the standard level system. It's roughly like FF8's, where leveling up actually makes the enemy stronger by comparison, so the game is easiest if you avoid getting any experience at all, but you still need to get into battles to get items and magic. This was a clever idea, but the execution needed help.

Ninja edit: The idea behind the next Darkmoor game is a lot like what RMDR's describing.
the fool

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random encounters are, more than anything, annoying to me. I don't mind fighting when I delve into a dungeon, as it's necessary to fight when there's most likely a boss at the end that I should be up to par with. Gaining potions or other valuables from these creatures is also a much needed reward.

However, I find it unnecessary that I should have to fight horribly low level monsters when I'm just traveling from town A to town B; especially when all I really want to do is progress the story. Throw in a scripted event where I have to fight, or perhaps give reason for random enemies attacking me, and I won't mind.

Newbie_Power wrote:

- The dungeons will require a bit of traveling to get to, so inns won't be as abusable (FF1).
- Healing spells can only be used in-battle.
- Items can only be used out of battle, and are meant to be used in numbers, not individually, so if you want to heal a large portion of HP after taking some nasty hits, you will probably need about 8 - 12 herbs or potions, instead of the usual 200 HP healing potion.

I was thinking this exact setup (or very close to, anyways). It makes more sense to use items out of battle, and spells in battle. What kind of enemy would allow you to stop fighting so you could take a sip of your little healing juice? Spells would be a bit different, as the fighters would just quickly chant a little spell or do a hand gesture as the battle progresses. And pfft, resting in a dungeon? Seems a bit dangerous with all the creatures wondering about.

I do like the idea of crippling healing to only either inside or outside of battle. In cases of making the game difficult, anyways.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually came up with an ingenious idea for a non-traditional way of leveling:

Fixed amount of enemies.

The enemies are non-random, and if you kill the enemy, the NPC is never going to come back. This means that to get every bit of EXP, you will need to kill everything.

The catch: Thanks to the battle engine, characters dying do not get EXP.

The upside: If you kill everything, that is essentially powerleveling to the point of being able to defeat a boss.

The ugly: Enemies are hard, and are somewhat likely to kill your characters if you're not careful.

Which means, in order to overlevel, you have to be really good at the game in the first place.

Perfect for a game like Darkmoor, don't you think?
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is just an idea, sorry...

EDIT: I could have sworn Rimudora posted...
Rimudora
Psychopath yandere

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't think it was a brutal enough flaming, you goddamn fucktard (I'll fucking kill you).

Anyways, if you're going to make the player fight x battles anyways, it makes more sense just to take leveling up out of the equation. Other than that, the first Darkmoor Dungeon is a bit like what you've described.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Tue Nov 14, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it adds a new variable to the equation: If you let your people die, then you will be overall weaker and will suck. If you do everything perfect, then you will be able to take on the boss on equal footing. If you fumble in some areas, then you will need a bit more strategy and work to win the game.

The reason I thought of that was to throw another idea out there, and Moogle1 said that the sequel to Darkmoor was supposed to be more traditional.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: