Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Perfect Minigame
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2004 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm gonna agree with JSH and Aeth, minigames and sidequests are not necessary. A game should be able to stand on its own without them, and if you need to stick a minigame in your game to keep players interested then your game has problems too big for a minigame to solve. It's kind of like tricking people into thinking your game was good.

I hated the chocobo breeding 'game.' It was frustrating and and took forever and the outcome was completely based on luck with no skill involved at all. You just get the right kinds of chocobo and keep reloading your game until it works. A good minigame should not make the player continuously reach for the reset button.

That said, I certainly don't think minigames are bad (unless they're poorly thought out like the breeding game). If you can make a fun minigame that adds some quality to an already well-made game, then good for you. But a well-made game should still be fun without it.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 6:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a good minigame/sidequest: the contests in Pokemon R/S. They're completely unnecessary, but they add a new dimension to your pokemon. To do well at them, you have to deal with berries, new attack sets, and an entirely different "battle" system.

Or you can ignore them and beat the game anyway.
u all sux i bez ur god

PostPosted: Sat Sep 04, 2004 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pokémon shouldn't even be an RPG... it's much better online, since you don't have to spend 70 hours to make a competitive team.

It's one of the rare cases where the "side game" is the only thing worth playing in the game. Another example: Triple Triad in FF8.
junahu
Custom Title: 45 character limit

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poodles wrote:
Pokémon shouldn't even be an RPG... it's much better online, since you don't have to spend 70 hours to make a competitive team.

Aren't these conflicting interests? Most RPGs feature an arduous leveling up process. It's there to discourage players from leveling up so that the game will be more challenging and thus, make you a better player. Progress through adversity poodles, not through bullying weaker opponents for their exp.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Junahu, have you ever PLAYED online?

There's no levelling up, just team customization. You change your team to reflect the metagame, but it doesn't take you 90 days to do.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the URL, JSH?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two methods I know of (Warning: there are a loooot of arrogant jackasses and stupid spanish-speaking people who play these):

1) Some IRC client called RSBot (text-based, but faster; I don't recommend it unless you want to learn the IRC commands)

2) Netbattle: http://www.tvsian.com/netbattle/
NB is graphical, but the servers are a bit buggy. The cool thing about it is the team builder software! It's awesome.

Edit: And on a forenote, if you want to stand chance against other players, it would be a good idea to understand how Genes and Effort values work in R/S. It's not that complicated. Ask me if you really want to know, but this is getting off-topic so I'll shut up.
Dan the Man Entertainment

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSH357 wrote:
Warning: there are a loooot of arrogant jackasses and stupid spanish-speaking people who play these

More like a bunch of flaming spanish people who learn english only to call someone named Mephilas a woman (that does sorta sound like a women's name though).

Now, back to the topic! One of my favorite minigames of all time would be the waterfall minigame from Z:OOT. I also liked the fishing minigame (as I wasted days playing it).
pharo212

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the perfect minigame is one that kinda fits with the plot. Like a mini-game where you have to guide a raft down a waterfall to get down said waterfall fits well, and could give you gold too.
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just bumped a thread whose last post from 2004?

(EDIT: If more people show that they care about the discussion, I'll add to it also).

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?

Last edited by Newbie_Power on Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pharo212 wrote:
the perfect minigame is one that kinda fits with the plot. Like a mini-game where you have to guide a raft down a waterfall to get down said waterfall fits well, and could give you gold too.

Do you mean plot or environment?

Because the waterfall-slide mini-game in Super Mario RPG had nothing to do with the plot (That I know of).
pharo212

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More enviroment then plot, but if it does fit with the plot, it makes more sense.
A good example is the river in LoZ:TP, where you have to do a minigame to get to lake hyrule, but it doesn't feel like a chore, because you can't die, only not get points, so its fun.
Joe Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not bump? This looks like a worthwhile thread.

Now, personally, I'm not generally a fan of the types of games that contain minigames. For example, RPGs do not have fun core gameplay. Some of you may argue with that point, but I spend about as much time walking around doing nothing as I do battling or solving puzzles. Yeah, it's a vague definition, but for the sake of simplicity let's just take what I say as a given, hmm? I prefer games that are just fun always. Chess or Tetris, for example.

Now, in general, I disagree with minigames. They can be fun, but as several folks have said, they serve as a diversion from the core gameplay, which is pretty ridiculous. The core gameplay is supposed to be a diversion in itself, from life. Minigames are a bit redundant.

However, I do agree with variation in the gameplay. Take Contra III for example, which would frequently change the controls on you. The second level felt like a gimmick to me, but dangling from rails or climbing walls worked out nicely. That game was a bit scripted for my tastes, though. A better example is Super Mario Brothers. It had very consistent gameplay, but every once in a while there'd be a water level to mix things up.

Aaaand I just realized I'm not even paying attention to this, so please feel free to revise this post as you wish.

Last edited by Joe Man on Fri Dec 13, 1957 1:21 am; edited 2,892 time in total
Newbie_Power

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Why not bump? This looks like a worthwhile thread.
I don't even think he's realizing he's bumping old threads, which is what I'm reacting to.

I'm not going to argue about the placement of mini-games, or the frequency (since others already share my views), but this is the perfect mini-game. This is not.

TheGiz> Am I the only one who likes to imagine that Elijah Wood's character in Back to the Future 2, the kid at the Wild Gunman machine in the Cafe 80's, is some future descendant of the AVGN?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: