Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Failed Projects, Yours and Mine (SEPFY E UNDONE?!?!)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frickin' Genius
This is Tom. He's feeling great.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:31 pm    Post subject: Failed Projects, Yours and Mine (SEPFY E UNDONE?!?!) Reply with quote

Well, I was just curious about... I don't know, it seems like a stupid idea, but I kinda just want to hear about some of your crappy game ideas.

I don't know how many games I actually thought of making, but only 4 that I can think of materialized�

Lego Freaks was about a Lego guy named Joe, and he has all this dreams about his uncle and things that he did for his king. I know a lot of you are thinking this is just ripping off FF8, but this was before I ever even heard about the Laguna dreams. And it wasn�t like he was his uncle in the dreams, and the only other person that had the dreams was Joe�s friend Lucas and they are thrown in to a adventure to save to world from getting turned into real people, while Joe and Lucas are having dreams about they�re great, great uncles trying to stop the world from changing into Legos. The ending was going to be a amazing cinematic (like I would be able to pull something like that off) where it keeps switching Joe�s world to his uncles, and at the end of both battles, they defeat who they set out to fight, but the world is still changed forevermore. I was 80% done with the demo; I just had to redo some graphics and finish the beginning script. This game did have faults, like I would never be able to pull off the ending cinematic like I would have wanted, and Joe�s and Lucas�s uncle�s names were Joseph and Lou.

Next game I think was the Journey of Many. I can�t remember anything about it except it was going to be made in RPG Maker 2000, and I got annoyed with the creator and deleted it.

Final Fantasy 0. I�ll let Uncy explain.

The remake of Uncy�s Spherical Disasters. I only actually did a few hero graphics, and the really good one�s I did, I lost with the computer and the story was going to be a lot different, and so were the characters.

And then was Mirror Dimensions, only had a plot and two hero graphics.

Now it�s your turn�
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, I've got a lot of failed projects.

Rampaging Pikachu - A bizzare pokemon game about a pokemon who finally gets too pissed off about his brethren being enslaved and so he grabs a shotgun and blasts everybody and everything. It had an opening movie taken from the GBC Pokemon Yellow, except pikachu had a gun. It was an interesting game, I made...a little. It was going to basically be a slightly more sane arfenhouse...almost all the bosses were cameos (Elvis, Tiger Woods, Osama bin Ladin) and the main goal was to kill Ash. Stupid game, but I did think the Pikachu Power Plant was pretty funny...

The Lord of the Rings Trilogy - I won't even go here. I made a decent walkaround and a pretty cool orc battle graphic, but other than that the game didnt' go anywhere.

The Crystal Globe - Probably the closest I've ever come to releasing a demo, but it never made it. Basically it had your standard RPG story: Find the four globes, defeat baddy. Except I added some really interesting plot twists to get it going. I really liked the use of side-stories that I developed for this game; I wish I could re-kindle that ingenious spark I had and integrate it into Stop or Lacrymosa...but I'm still working on it. The game wasn't for story but for character development, and I think I could have pulled it off. I had a TON of NPC's, cruddy enemy graphics (except the ones Mr. B drew), a few pretty sweet hero graphics, and a TILEMAP (that I DREW. Yes, I drew a tilemap. Get over it). I even had a little "Battle Movie" for the opening BUT...it never was to be. Oh well.

Stop, Stop^2, Stop^Infinity - I probably spent more hours developing this story then I have spent developing any other game or story I have written. I now plan on making it into a Manga or a Flash Film once I learn to draw anime and have free time, but as for now it is sitting on my computer doing nothing. This one had a very badly developed story, but the character development was some of the best I've pulled off. I had some pretty ingeinous twists planned out, as well as some pretty emotional moments. I really liked the love relationship between the heroine and the hero...basically the hero loves other women, but (spoilers I guess) because of his curse they all end up dying, either by his hand or by the hand of another shadow-cursed one. Basically he's afriad to show his love for the heroine because he's afraid she will die as well. He's an arrogant bas**** and pisses people off, but in reality he knows he is a coward and he could have stopped his girlfriends from dying if he hadn't chickened out. He also is the Destroying Angel, the one he is trying to kill, but we won't go there. The ending was one of the single best I think I've developed. I even had the ending line planned out. BUT I only had a hero graphic and an npc, and both are now used in Lacrymosa. Boo hoo.

Magnus 19 - Crashed 2000 times. Boo hoo.
RPGrealm5
Sir, the Goombas are dancing again!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Blackened failed. I said so much about how I wanted it to be and how it was going to get me a reputation, but ever since my computer's hard drive was wiped for the seventh time, I just gave up all hope of ever completing it. Like Metallica, I believe my older stuff was better and I'm going back to that to see if anyone is ready to see what I was making before I joined Castle Paradox, before my computer was destroyed the sixth time...
Sephyroth
Renegade Rebel Redmage
Class A Minstrel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crystal Souls- The first game that I tried to release back in the Zant days. I guess the story idea wasn't as much as a failure as the game itself was. Back then, I actually sucked at graphics, game design, and balance. I might try making it again, but it's staying in the Pit of Failure until then.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2003 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Uiot Raiders - the game that I started work on the night I downloaded custom. The worst walkabouts ever seen, almoost ok maptiles and hero gfx, no (sane) perment dialogue. It also happens to the game I've done the most planning on ever.

Several plotscript minigames- I attempted these a couple of weeks after finding the OHR. One of them was originally going to be a minigame for the Uiot Raiders, I decided to make it a separate game. Had some very useful debugging scripts which were well written. The actual gameplay never got past me adding a shoot key

Total Reformation - The name was only temporary, because I knew that somewhere, there had to be a game called reformation. I did a lot of plannng on it, but I stopped the project when I couldn't decide on my master palette, about 10 days into its making. I picked it up again for a week later, but never did anything major. Might actually make something of this though. Was going to have a lot of neato scripting and awesome maptiles. If I can actually draw awesome maptiles.
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Three words: The 5th Age Big grin

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Minnek
Conjurer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whew...my failures... heh.

1. Fantasy Realms II: This was originally a rip-off of FF4j, but then I started doing all sorts of strange things to it... I played a bunch of OHR games and incorporated ideas from them into the game, such as adding the storyline ideas of FF6j and Walthros (I was actually planning to release this game at one point...I'm really glad I lost the password. Heh heh heh.) I took some from other games which I don't remember what they were, but they're there. As for graphics, let's just say I was working from the top 16 colors of the palette because I didn't know I could change the colors or palettes. I eventually did discover that, about half a year down the road of working on the game, but I was too lazy to go back and redo the graphics. The walkabouts had no shading, the grass for the maptiles was... a patch of green with darker green dots. The water...I'm not even going into that. The hero graphics were incredibly deformed... most of my maptiles looked like I sneezed on the screen. I had very very few that were actually worth looking at. Even then they were below par. Waay below par. As for gameplay, it wasn't there. I had no idea on game balance, nor battle design. (Not that I know very much right now, but I'm workin' on it.) The monsters could be killed in two hits tops, you had waaay too many hit points to be killed by ANYTHING (except for this one weird gelatinous creature that hung out in this one place, was called a Langkst, it cast meteo (another ripoff of FF4j Oookay... ) and wiped the whole group out. 9999 damage. Yay.) Plotscripting didn't show up until a year down the road. The plotscripting was the ONLY good thing, I had some things done, like a Zelda-style mini-game, looong before I ever saw an example of it in the community. Of course, it was terribly inefficient, but I wasn't exactly Mr. Optimize at the time. I rate this game -4 out of 10... it would have been -5 but I like the plotscripting bit. Sue me. Ha ha ha!

2. Xenivel: Oooooh no. Not this game. Ripoff of Lunar 2. We'll leave it at that. I did have a nifty boomerang plotscript in it, and the battles had
-some- balance; my graphics had improved triple-fold from FRII, but they were still extremely bad.

3. Fantasy Realms III: Legends of Natrah + Fantasy Realms = RUN AWAY!
My graphics had improved even more at this point, and I did have some more nifty plotscripting. Battle balance improved, as well...I even had some sidquests. There was no real story line set for it, and the dialogue was very very dry humor.

4. Cardcaptor Sakura Game: I'm not going into this one. I'll die of a heart attack if I do. HORRIBLE.

5. Syri's Adventure: This game was actually okay; it borrowed some ideas from games like FF9 and Chrono Blade (err...I think that was it. The OHR game, if that helps any.) There was great plotscripting, the battles were very well balanced, and the dialogue didn't feel spur-of-the-moment. It didn't even come close to the comics I was drawing at the time, though, which was where I got my muse from. Oh well. Still in the failure department.

6. Syri's Adventure 2: This got about as done as... I can't think of a good analogy. I got about as far as implementing the class-change system, which was what was originally in the comics; this was before I had seen anything of Cube's game with the class change system. Did it all myself...I'm so proud Rolling Eyes This had the same graphics quality of Syri's Adventure, which weren't too bad.

There were plenty more, but I can't remember them at the moment. I'll post 'em if I do remember. Heh...*looks up* I really need to learn to finish my projects. ...The 5th Age looks godly compared to my games. Just had to put that lil note in there. Big grin
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
ChocoSOLDIER
Ghost haunting the board

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My failed games are...just about all of them. A * indicates that I may rehash it later, and ** means I am planning for a rehash.

Kidworld - Barf. This game severely sucked. Read CN's review on Op:OHR

Kidworld 1 Remake - An example of what happens when I try rehashing a game. This one was halfway decent, but had no storyline or backdrops. It's on the gamelist if you're wanting to try it.

** Kidworld 2 - This was the less crappy sequel to Kidworld. It was pretty average, in my opinion. It's also on the gamelist if you're wanting to try it.

* ISLE - Class-based game where you actually went through the process of building a character. All I got was the tags set for the character building.

Midnight Rescue 2 - This never went anywhere.

If there's any others I'll post them later.

EDIT: HACKERS also failed. It was to be somewhat of a MMBN ripoff. It never went beyond a tiny walkaround.
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's see...

Pokémon: Future Version. I remember very little of this game, except that Ash was old and I didn't make it because I lost interest in Pokémon altoghether.

Final Fantasy 0. A sequel to Final Fantasy 7. It involved Rufus' return and hostile take-over of Reeve's remodeled Shin-Ra Inc, but you didn't actually play with any of the characters from FF7. You played as Alex Kye, who's girlfirend's adopted brother, Jimmy, turned out to be Aeris' son. It had a bunch of interesting plot-twists, and Reeve and Tifa (who were married) actually ended up being sacrificed to the Midgar Zolom. The weirdest thing about it is that everyone died but Alex, and Jimmy (with his 1/4-Cetra powers) transported him back in time to prevent all of their deaths. Yeah, so you played the same stuff twice. It all ended with a huge battle beween Rufus' Shin-Ra and Reeve's (you prevented his sacrifice in the second half) AVALANCHE army led by Cloud (who sported a cape and a beard). I dropped this game because I grew to dislike fangames.

Vincent Valentine: The Nightmare's Beginning. Another FF7 fangame, this one chronicling the rich backstory to my favorite character from the game. It was all about how he became a Turk, how he met Lucrecia, the war between Shin-Ra and Wutai, and, ultimately, all of the crap with Hojo making him a monster. It ended with a young Cloud meeting him as "the vampire of the haunted mansion". Again, I cancelled it because I don't like fangames.

Uncommon: Extermination and its sequels. The game I got into gamemaking to make. It was all about a guy that shared my name, and his friends that shared my friends' names, and how he had to rescue the girl he loved from a jerky anthropomorphic cockroach (named King Cockroach, quaintly enough). A lot of the basic story was scrapped, but most of the characters remain (names and personalities changed to protect the innocent), but the project itself is gone. The ideas I did keep are all going in to making Where Gods and Mortals Dance.

ORBituaries: Spherical Disasters. A prequel to the previous game. I ditched it when I ditched the other. Liam might try re-making it as Spherical Disasters (with different characters, different grahics, different story, pretty much everything's different) as soon as I get a new computer...

Knights of the Realm. Thomas Lamar goes out to establish the paladins so they can save the world. Prequel to Where Gods and Mortals Dance. I'm going to make it into a comic, instead.

Live By the Sword. Well, I started drafting a custom battle system, but my computer crashed. I'm still writing the story, but I don't think this one will ever be a game. A movie or comic, maybe. That would be pretty cool.

Well, that's all I can think of for now...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JSH357

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get ready.

-Super Joe RPG-
My first game. It was horrible. The graphics were atrcoious, there
was no music at all, the plot made no sense, and the battles were
either impossible or insanely easy. But hey, I never released it.

-Duck and MJ-
First game I released. If you've ever played it, you probably know
that the only good thing about it was the length- it was about three
hours long on an average playthrough. The graphics were awful, music
was all ripped, the story was poorly written and full of clichés.
Actually, the game itself wasn't that bad, mainly the overall
presentation. (OK, OK, it sucked Raspberry!)

-Duck and MJ 2-
Huge improvement over the first game, but still not good enough.

-Super Joe RPG(2)-
Remake. This game was presentable for me at the time. When I look at
it now, I see how pathetic it is, though. I don't remember all too
much about how this version plays. This game's storyline was the
inspiration for part IV of the Query Series.

-Pixilation-
A game where you were a single pixel. Actually, I got a few nice
comments, but overall this game was awful.

-Mother Rieya-
Nuked from my hard drive... but its storyline is Query VI now.

-Duck and MJ 1/2-
My attempt at reviving this game. It's on par with Query I, but still
a failure because I gave up on it altogether.
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Duck and MJ2 wasn't like -THAT- bad. It had more potential to be Jax and Dexter-ish, but it wasn't really bad.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
Captain Action
Get equipped with action

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2003 2:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Things I have failed, A list by Tim Taylor

Everything I have ever tried to do

http://www.guardianguild.net/lolwtf
eldritch
Archmage of Mayhem and Plotscripting

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 5:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My original work titled, sadly:
Eldritch: I worked on it back when plotscripting first came out and rather went overboard. I had sprint shoes, and a few odd minigames. The problem is that graphics and plot suffered horribly due to my obsession with the plotscripting element.

Tales of Lynaly: Dare I even say more, CN? *shudders*

There have been so many other ideas that haven't come to fruition I don't have enough time to shake a stick at them, let alone a keyboard.

"I'd tell you but then I'd turn into a badger."

"Semper Fideles means 'we eat our dead.'"
-Anonymous marine
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
fyrewulff

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaosnyte's Hardcore Hentai Adventure Guest Starring Aethereal as "Nurse"
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2003 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYRE!!!!! NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The first demo was Jaw-Droppingly Excellent....but it ended with CN on a table and "Nurse" pulling out some "tools"....the doctor hasn't even come in to tell him to turn his head and cough!!! I couldn't wait for the next installment....now what am I gonna do???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: