Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Ether Usage
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  

When would use use the Ether?
When you get it (so you don't have to go to town)
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Save 'til next boss battle (which is gonna be tough)
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Save until the final boss battle
35%
 35%  [ 6 ]
Keep it until the game ends
29%
 29%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 17

TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2004 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[rant]Damn, that reminds me of when I accidently hit the up button and bought 11 of an expensive sword of which I only needed one, and lost a huge amount of money when selling them back. And then I accidently sold all 11, and had to buy another one! [/rant]

However, I think the full money back on refund is a very bad idea, unless its based on ow used the equipment is.

Who would this article be geared towords? Players, Game Desigers, or both?
Mr B

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game designers. Definately game designers.

I wrote a big 15-page paper on RPG design (well, it seemed big writing it) for an English class a while ago, but it was completely geared towards non-gamers, so it only covered some of the basics (but they couldn't tell when I was lying!!!!HAHAH!!!!). I want to re-write it as it should have been as a series of articles.

If I ever find the time. I signed up for too many classes this semester. Really confused
junahu
Custom Title: 45 character limit

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's too late to throw in my two cents but... I use magic restoring items when I need to (you know, when I'm on low health and no magic left and the enemy is still strong. Duh). I think that's obvious. I never use stat items at all (which puts me at a distinct disadvantage while playing earthbound), and I hoarde potions and revival items like crazy.
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Ether usage:

In Final Fantasy and Pokemon, I never use them. In Pokemon all inns are free so even though basic physical attacks use MP, there's not much point unless you're trying to clear the Elite Four using a single Pokemon in a challenge run. In Final Fantasy, characters tend to have stupidly high MP (and HP, for that matter) compared to the spell costs/challenges they're likely to face.

So my answer to "When do you use ethers?" is "Usually I sell them to buy weapons and armor if it's early game, hoard them and don't use them if it isn't."

My personal solution to the MP economy is I generally give characters very low MP (3 MP to represent 3 wishes, 5 MP, 8 MP, 1 max MP per level, etc) and make most spells cost 0-3 MP depending on their expected usefulness. I have a character archetype - the CandyCaster/Sucromancer/Candy Fairy, whose spells all cost at minimum +1 relative to this, but have a bonus effect of a -1 item cost on an item called Candy. Candy can be bought for 10+ dollars in shops but only sells for 1 and it restores 1 MP on use...when "heal party member by 30% max HP" is a 1 MP spell and "heal party member by 80% max HP" and "heal entire party by 30% HP" are both 2 MP spells.

Keeping the numbers small helps them stay easy to comprehend and balance better. "Is this spell generally a better use of a turn than a basic attack? No? How about 0 MP, then."

On the money economy:
I generally try to make most shops buy things back for about 75%, not 50%. I like to sometimes have limited supply items on sale for a lower price in some places, usually not enough that the player can make a profit but definitely enough they can save a significant amount.

In joke games like Moron Mission, the default sell back value for most items was about 99%, I think.

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: