Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Some help with graphics

View previous topic :: View next topic  
msw188

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:36 am    Post subject: Some help with graphics Reply with quote

Okay, here goes. I'm wondering if there is anyone in the community who would be interested in drawing some graphics for me. This is meant as a request only to those who really enjoy drawing graphics for drawing graphics' sake.
The problem is that the game is already made; it is called Hero's Journey Demo_1, and it is already very long. More importantly, it's map layout has already been established, it's attacks and weapons and characters and things are already made, so the interested person would have to draw according to the already existing framework. As a sharp example of what I mean, you will see that if you play the game, the perspective is strictly overhead; I do not want the fronts of houses seen in a town, but the backs unseen. Entrances to houses should be able to look north, south, east and west and be equally visible, and in this way the screen does not change when entering a house. Think Dragon Warrior over Final Fantasy, or play my game for about one minute to understand.
I will list the things that I would especially appreciate help with, giving more stars to the more pressing:
****Battle Graphics, and I mean pretty much every aspect; right now, there are no battle backgrounds, no attack animations, no weapons, yeah...
**Maptiles, some of these I am okay with, but there is little or no detail in any place, and certainly no animation
*NPCs, actually I'm okay with about half of these, but the other half sure could use some work, and the first half could probably be vastly improved by a true artist
Hunter Green
About to beat this double head with a pipe

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZING

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, sorry about that, but I was afraid that this thing would time out on me, so I posted that, now I will continue the post.
There are some things that I would like to point out to the interested artist that maybe amount to a worse problem than any of those listed above. That is that I am picky. Even though I cannot draw what I would like my things to look like, I have definite ideas about how I do not want them to look. I don't like the sharp, well defined contrasts of anime. I don't like for my characters to look like teenagers (they are not teenagers, the main hero may be in early to mid-twenties or so...), I don't like goofy hair, I don't like the women (in my game) to have their breasts so emphasized, etc. etc. That sounds horribly negative, so I guess I'll try to say instead what I like. I like the graphics of Final Fantasy III, or VI in Japan, but I didn't really like those of VII (i.e., huge swords, the sharper anime look) or the others that followed. I didn't like the graphics of Chrono Trigger, and I'd rather see the simple, 'old-looking' graphics of Dragon Warrior crawl by than watch Chrono's weird hair spikes bobble up and down as he runs. If the reader is interested and will play my game, I will say that most of the NPC's are fine in principal, and I would be more than happy to keep them and only change the maptiles and battle graphics, unless the artist would like to contribute to a full graphical overhaul of the characters. But the truth is that I would probably be slow to agree to such a course of action, unless the new graphics REALLY impressed me.
So I guess what I am trying to say is that all I want is someone who enjoys drawing for the sake of drawing, and would be interested in doing some of these things for me. Even someone who was only interested in drawing battle graphics, or in just fixing up the maptiles, would be welcome. If so, reply to this. If it turns out that someone is really interested, we will use the private message thing, or email maybe.
msw188

PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, one more thing. I am currently in Hungary, and do not have a computer of my own, so real work in this department could not begin until the Summer (June). I am putting this up now in case an interested artist would like to take the time to play through the game first, if he or she thinks that that is necessary.
I'm not sure what ZING is supposed to mean, but it occurs to me that I may be asking for far too much. If that is so, then that's fine, I'm only throwing this request out on the board, and I actually would be pretty surprised (and delighted) if someone were to take it up. I'm certainly going to continue working on my game regardless of whether this works or not, but I thought I'd just give it a try, since it seems that there are people on here who really enjoy computer art as a thing in itself.
Well in any case, thanks for reading (if you managed to really get through all three of these horribly overlong posts)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: