Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

RPG Design Pet Peeves
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eggie

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 5:41 pm    Post subject: RPG Design Pet Peeves Reply with quote

Have you ever played an RPG that had a really stupid idea in the design that got you thinking, "Were they DRUNK when they made this?"

Or perhaps there would be a couple of RPGs that had the same stupid thing over and over that made you bored, confused, or upset. Perhaps gaining spells as you level up is annoying (probably boring). They had that in so many games, too. Were they just lazy and uncreative?

Or perhaps something that ruined a game that could've been good. Maybe the game was pointlessly slow. Maybe the enemy stats were too high. Maybe it was too easy. Maybe the final boss was wimpy, IE. FF Mystic Quest, using cure on the final boss really kicks his booty.

Come on, spill it. Get it off your chest.
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I wouldn't say people are drunk for making enemy stats too high. I would only agree that they weren't themselves if the storyline was reall weird. But it does tick me off when people don't take the time to balance their enimies or their random battles. Unbalanced Random Battles probally piss me off the most though.
SunsOfFlame

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I agree. I've made a when game drunk, and I screwed it up WAY more.

EDIT-Added 'when' so people don't think I'm pouring alchohol in my computer.
Kenji Murasame
Shizuma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hURMM. My pet peeve is when a really evil dude gets defeated, and then he tells some sob story about how he was unliked as a child, and then the protagonists start sypathizing with the idiot and say "NO DON'T DIE Crying".

This makes me instantly hate the heroes!
Kenji Murasame
Shizuma

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 8:36 pm    Post subject: double post of doom! Reply with quote

An other one is how bad girls are hardly ever "bad". afterall being a girl is "good" right? So games where none of the women turn out to be evil anger me!

Onto gameplay petpeeves: I verily dislike RPG's where you have the option to increase any stat you like at level up.. this is done again and again, and although it seems nice, really it just makes me mad when the game is very long; because you can just skrew everything up.

Related to that, Games where you level up your attributes by using skills; I especially hate leveling up MAGIC.

You can find ALL my petpeeves in one convinient game: Grandia.
KainMinter
*~*

PostPosted: Wed Jul 14, 2004 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get peeved when all the random encounters on an area you are required to go through are so hard that they each feel like a boss. I find myself running from battles pretty often in games that do this.
I also dont like it when the font is hard to read.

Other than that, I'm pretty open. I do love it, though, when a game offers you the oppertunity to go do side quests pretty regularly, instead of forcing you in a straight line through the story. I think it makes a game feel more in depth and brings the in game world a bit more to life. ^_^
Sephyroth
Renegade Rebel Redmage
Class A Minstrel

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Experience Points: Yes, it's true! The whole flaw of the system is that you're expected to fight countless battles after battles after battles to get to an appropriate level to be able to survive a boss fight. Final Fantasy games are mostly okay about this, since you can win with barely any effort at all.

Example of a game with a BAD experience point system: Terranigma. A single level was the difference between dealing 10 damage to a boss and 50 damage.
Dan the Man Entertainment

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like it when the battle system is messed up (slow, unfair, just plain annoying).

Like everyone else said, I hate it when enemy stats are too high and they outnumber you. Good examples would be Final Fantasy V and Tactics (how the HELL do you beat four things that can hit the only 5 characters you have with an attack that instantly kills them).

I also don't like it when a game is boring and predictable. Who wants to play a game about a knight who ends his quest by slaying a dragon? Furthermore, who HASN'T heard of it?

Lastly (for the time being), I don't like games where you have to travel extensively long distances back and forth. This is what makes me want so shove the game out the window and feed it to the raccoons.
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KainMinter wrote:

I also dont like it when the font is hard to read.

That brings to my attention, Shadowiii's game, Stop. It was a great game all around. It's just the font was unbearable. It really does go to show that good font can make or break a game.
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

Like everyone else said, I hate it when enemy stats are too high and they outnumber you. Good examples would be Final Fantasy V and Tactics (how the HELL do you beat four things that can hit the only 5 characters you have with an attack that instantly kills them).

You learn how to deal with the problem and defeat them.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You learn how to deal with the problem and defeat them

I know and I did. I just don't like the fact that randomness comes in to help the CPU.

Yes, Aeth, I beat ALL FOUR hydras. I beat the hell out of them as a matter of fact.
SlightlyPyro
Definitive

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HATE IT when enemies are too easy. What's the point of fighting an enemy if you can take it down in one hit? Now, if it were really fast and really strong and could beat the crud out of you before you were able to take it down in a single hit, I could swallow that. But fighting half a dozen wimps that only do you 1hp damage per hit is pretty pathetic.

I ESPECIALLY HATE IT when you have to fight a battle every other step. Combine that with my above hatred of pathetic enemies, and you have a game that makes me want to SCREAM!!!!! A ton of impossible enemies will make me irritated and not play the game, but a ton of pathetically simple enemies is what really gets on my nerves, 'cause I know I can beat it, but I don't want to.

Also, I don't mind running around killing random enemies for xp, but I DO mind when those enemies only give you about 2-3xp each, and you have to advance 5 levels just to be able to take out the next boss and still have decent health.

SIG-ne-tyoor: a person's name written by himself, or a representation of this in a mark, stamp, deputy's handwriting, etc.

sig: that thing above with like totally screwed up messages and smilies and lots of other crap
msw188

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's very little I HATE about games, but here are some things I don't like:
1. I don't like sappy, 'I don't know what to do' heroes. I think there is a very fine line between a well balanced humanistic hero and one who sounds like they belong on a soap opera. I don't like Terra from FF3 (or 6, whatever). I do like Setzer.
2. As most people, I don't like unbalanced battles. Everyone has a slightly different idea about what is balanced or not, but if random battles are too easy or too hard or give too much or too little EXP, I get angry.
3. I don't like it when dying is not a big deal. In my next update to my game I think I will change from Inn revival to a house of healing type system, if I can.

I guess that's good for now. For the record, I DO like gaining magic by levels rather than these other systems that they have now. I did NOT like the Esper system of FF3/6. I HATED buying magic in the first Final Fantasy.
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2004 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: RPG Design Pet Peeves Reply with quote

Eggie wrote:
Have you ever played an RPG that had a really stupid idea in the design that got you thinking, "Were they DRUNK when they made this?"

Ha ha! That would be the universal reaction to Legend of Dragoon. XD

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Leonhart

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2004 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate it when you have to fight 6-7 enemies, each of them having high hps, they're too easy or too hard. Then, I even hate it when you are to find a girl in danger and then she ends up joining you. Then,you find out something about her at the end... so usual...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: