Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Scenes
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leonhart

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Scenes Reply with quote

I have three questions in this thread.

1. What do you think is the best scene in the history of videogaming?
2. What is your ideal ending in an RPG?
3. In your opinion, what RPG has the best ending ever?

My answers:
1. The death scene of Aeris
2. A main character dying (sorry, but I like death scenes)
3. EDIT: Final Fantasy IX (played it again!)

Last edited by Leonhart on Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The Opera in FF6
2. One that invokes a sense of completion in a player, but might also leave somethings unresolved for the player's imagination. (NOT FF7's. It left too much unresolved) Multiple endings are good too.
3. Pitch Black 2's "S" Ending Final Fantasy VI, though I honestly wish there were more after all the "character" endings (yes, I know it was already like 20 minutes long. Shut up.)
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Celes' Opera scene in FFVI.
2. I like an ending that doesn't really leave me guessing, unless the game is designed with a direct sequel in mind that will answer what has been left unanswered. One good thing about unresolved things is that it generates material for fan fiction, however. I only like alternate endings if there's a good reason for one. For example, I'm not a big fan of Metroid's "alternate endings" because you just get them from beating the game faster. If an alternate ending is to be included, the player should have a direct effect on the progression of the game that leads to that ending, instead of simply completing a bunch of secret tasks that completely change it or something, which is nonsensical. A good example of a game that has good alternate endings is Walthros. Another good example is the classic Dragon Quest (choose to rule with the Dragonlord at the end and you get an alternate ending).
3. Final Fantasy VI.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
JSH357

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The scene in Tactics Ogre: LUCT where you decide whether or not to burn down the village.
2. Depends on the game, but I prefer positive endings to negative ones. Also, endings like the one in FFVII are evil. (Let the player decide!)
3. Opinions are useless, and FFIX has a pretty great ending considering how f’ed up the last hour of the game is.
Jack
the fool

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. in Knights of the Old Republic, when you find out the major secret of the game, it was so dramatic to all the characters and changes pretty much everything ( i wont ruin it for those of who wish to play the game and havent )

2. an ending that doesn't just end directly after you beat the main boss, either give me an epilogue or (like in morrowind) let the game not end and allow the player to keep playing. if i get neither of those i just feel empty...

3. whoa, can't think of one
Renegade Rebel Redmage
Class A Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. The Lifestream scene in FFVII. In retrospective, that and awesome final boss music were the only things that made me really like FF7. I seriously cry every time I watch the damn thing.

2. An ending in which, after the credits are over, a message flashes on the screen that says "BONUS FEATURE!!", and the game proceeds to show several cutscenes depicting a guy in a red trenchcoat going around the RPG world interviewing the characters in the game, and making wise-cracks about the main villain looking like a woman. Finally, all the RPG characters get pissed and destroys the interviewer in what could only be described as "the most explosive boss battle ever".

3. Xenogears, a triumphant victory for the heroes and the most awesome music ever to be coordinated with moving lines of text.
Machu
Righter, a person who rights wrongs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Metal Slug 3's last level has more twists than any platformer I've played; off the top of my head, I can think of at least 4. A specific scene?
SPOILER FOR METAL SLUG 3
When you destroy the clone generator and they all die out, but then suddenly half of them zombify!
END SPOILER

Then again, I'm thinking "most suprising" scene here. Do mean most artistic or touching scene?

2. I like endings in which all the events occur because of your actions, not something else that just happens to occur after beating the final boss. How does beating up a major villain suddenly bring about world peace? (I guess that'd happen if the story began as "This world is peaceful, but then something evil appeared", which is somewhat cliche) So, I like endings that are like "Thanks for all you have done for us, now your reward", but not "Thanks, we'll take it all from here. I know you did a good job and all, but the world can pretty much fix itself. Bye!".

3. Though I wasn't the one who beat it, I liked Fallout 2's ending. Not only did they remember all of the quests you completed and talk about them, but the game isn't over! You can keep playing from there, since you are still alive and you got what you wanted, and the world is pretty much just as you left, only you don't have (or need) a major goal.
[*]Starting now, there's going to be a lot less conversation and a lot more killing
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1: That's a damn hard question. I have no idea what my favorite would be, but one that comes to mind for some reason is the cutscene from Lunar: SSSC where the fortress of Althena rises from that mountain. That was awesome.

2: One where stuff gets resolved, the hero doesn't die, and we get to know what happens afterward. Being able to get some kind of extra feature or something would be cool too. And if there are multiple endings, even better. But, one thing that an RPG ending absolutely MUST have is some awesome music. Xenogears, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, the endings of these games were made like a million times better cause of the awesome music.

3: FF6. I know it's missing a couple of the above qualities, but I just really liked how it had a little thing on every character. And the music was great.
Friend

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Out of This World (PC version). The only game that wowed me with its stylish intergration between the cutscenes and the game part.

2. As long as the creator didn't resort to nonsense babbles that are supposed to sound "philosophical" due to time contrain/laziness, I'm fine with it.

3. Strictly speaking about RPGs, I like Suikoden 1-2's ending. But including any other genres, the final battle sequence and ending scene of Out of This World are powerful.
"I am Collins. From my position in the moon's orbit, I watched Armstrong and Aldrin land and walk on the surface. I was so close to the ground of the moon, and yet I returned without having trod upon it... I am Collins." -Friend
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Toughie... I can think of a few good ones. Among them, Seifer's reaction to Squall's placement on SeeD (FF8). I kinda expect him to spit on Squall or something... then, eerily, he gives him a few slow claps.

2. Okay, this has to be said: IT IS VERY UNSATISFYING FOR THE DEAD CHARACTER TO SUDDENLY REVIVE IN THE ENDING (e.g. FF9). LET US CRY, FOR GOODNESS SAKE! (That said, he doesn't HAVE to die for it to be good.)

3. FF6, CT, Brave Fencer Musashi.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really have to play FF6, got to see what all the fuss is about.

*pops FF6 disc in console and start playing!
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 30, 2004 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. What do you think is the best scene in the history of videogaming?
2. What is your ideal ending in an RPG?
3. In your opinion, what RPG has the best ending ever?

Best Scene??? Hmmmm... It's an ending, I didn't care for the ending because of the suspense it had, but I enjoyed the scene. When you beat Kingdom Hearts and the gates of Kingdom Hearts actually open up and you find Mickey Mouse and Riku shuts the doors. A brilliant scene demanding the players mind travel into endless possibilities of where those two went.

Ending? Hmmm... Stereotypical ending, where everything works out. Except the heroes narrowly avoid certain death and the main character gets the girl. It's simple, but that stuff has a soft spot in my heart.

Final Fantasy IX. Everything works out, like I said I liked. I mean, Zidane gets the girl. Even goofy old Steiner gets a girl. And Eiko gets parents at last. It's awesome.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 2:00 pm    Post subject: ultimate ending Reply with quote

The answer to both 2 and 3 is, without doubt or hesitation:

Peasant's Quest
http://homestarrunner.com/disk4of12.html
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XD

Played it, beat it, loved it. Burnination.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: