Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Heil IM, the Metric Dictator!

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Guthie
The Assassin Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:39 pm    Post subject: Heil IM, the Metric Dictator! Reply with quote

It has now been one month (give or take a day or two) since CN and Uncy have been stripped of their Admin statii. Where have we gotten? What great and wonderful changes have occurred?

1. A ton of people are mad as hell.

2. Several people have demonstrated their complete inability to function in a logical debate.

3. Forum usage has dropped and I seriously doubt college finals have crap to do with it.

As a disclaimer, I've not been around long: about six months, I believe. Some of my information, deducted, inferred, and just ripped out of whatever source I could find may be faulty. But because I don't base my arguments on it too much, I don't think the faultiness of my knowledge is that damaging to their validity.

IM has a nice idea. Post some rules to increase civilty, change the way they are enforced to be more user-friendly, and generally bring the atmosphere of the place out of the elitist crap-pit it had started to become. He's right in this: too much sarcasm, flaming, and general hate was floating around this place. PHC and Gizmog1 are perfect examples of this, not that I have anything against them personally. The antisemitism stuff was unnecessary, and for those people who don't understand the fine art of sarcasm, quite hurtful. Racism isn't funny, anyway, even if it is in jest. And the signature used by Giz (and MCW) is also beyond the confines of "jest" and into the "slander" area. This kind of stuff needs to quit.

In addition to the overuse of bitter jokes and slaps, we have the "Scream-obsceneties-just-'cause-there's-no-rules-saying-we-can't" crowd and the "Turn-a-meaningful-thread-into-sex-jokes" crowd. Both are unnecessary. Yeah we're human, but that doesn't excuse this kind of crap (oops). What is the point of cussing people out just because you're not afraid to use the f-word? It's offensive to people with half a grain of sense, and really it's nothing more than an overgrown five-year-old's attention-getting act.

However, the method of IM's attempts to better the site was what he screwed up on. Stalin did wonders for the U.S.S.R.'s economy, but everyone still hates him. Why? He ruled with an iron fist, and everyone was terrified of what might happen if they didn't do exactly what they were told. Remember World History? What's the first thing Stalin did when he came to power? He killed everyone that helped him get there. Sound familiar? Same thing with Hitler. Heck, same thing with most of the Ceasers. So IM: Heil Inferior Minion!.

What IM did was wrong. I don't care if CN had banned half the population of CP on a whim, it still doesn't validate IM's just stripping him of his authority out of the blue. In regard to idiotic posts like this:
LeRoy_Leo, in the Common Sense thread wrote:
Some things you keep to yourself and a select other few. Did the Greeks tell the Trojans there were men in thier horse?

If you want war, go suit up and take on some Iraqis. This isn't war, this is supposed to be, in IM's words, "a friendly environment where [game creators] feel comfortable presenting their work...." We support each other, and when someone's doing something they ought not, we chastise them, not backstab them because we don't like what they're doing.

I would find this humourous, to say the least, if IM thought this thread showed an "excessive bout of arrogance." Though, come to think of it, most people would find it excessively arrogant to have a sixteen-year-old shove this stuff in their faces. Not that it matters anyway, because with my two cents in this debate come my farewells. HamsterSpeak has done wonders for my understanding of flow-control and the BAM format has done even greater wonders on my patience, but it's time to move on, and time restraints don't give the the space to hang around CP just for the heck of it. Best wishes, and I hope this phase of CP's history comes out right in the end.

Very sincerely yours,
Guthie: the Assassin Prince
and I'm the only one, and I walk alone.

-Green Day: Boulevard of Broken Dreams
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Heil IM, the Metric Dictator! Reply with quote

Disclaimer: This discussion was settled. I think the people that were pissed have settled down some. The only thing they don't like now is that IM hasn't released his new rules yet. Also that CP isn't as productive when it is not ruled with an iron fist.

Guthie wrote:

2. Several people have demonstrated their complete inability to function in a logical debate.

Ha ha ha! That was great! And still so true.

Guthie wrote:

LeRoy_Leo, in the Common Sense thread wrote:
Some things you keep to yourself and a select other few. Did the Greeks tell the Trojans there were men in thier horse?

If you want war, go suit up and take on some Iraqis. This isn't war, this is supposed to be, in IM's words, "a friendly environment where [game creators] feel comfortable presenting their work...." We support each other, and when someone's doing something they ought not, we chastise them, not backstab them because we don't like what they're doing.

Actually, I wasn't suggesting war, but questioning the common sense of the discussion. IM did this under the cover of night without consolidating some of the admins because he wanted to strike first. The effort would not have been too successful if the opporation had leaked to CN and Uncy. I have no oppinion on those events besides that. I didn't really mind CN or Uncy too much. I have long before then dropped all of my foolish past grudges with them. I am not a war monger. Ha ha ha!

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I understand where you're coming from in this post, Guthie, it still isn't going to bring about any good, and will probably just re-stir trouble.

It's a shame to see you go, and I wish you the best of luck with your games.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
RPGCreations
E Pluribus Unum

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guthrie wrote:
What IM did was wrong. I don't care if CN had banned half the population of CP on a whim, it still doesn't validate IM's just stripping him of his authority out of the blue.

So where was CN validated in banning everyone that sneezed the wrong way? Hmm? Perhaps that's why he WAS stripped - because of his actions. Posting has gone down because people are working on their games. If the amount of posting is used as the barometer for community health, then this is a chat community, not a engine community. What happens when roughly 4 new OHR sites will be launching early next year? Are they harming the OHR community by decreasing CP's post count?

Guthrie wrote:

That's really funny. Considering most everyone that backed IM up until the actual removal of Chaos Nyte's and Uncommon's admins turned face at the last second. IM did not backstab CN. Backstabbing is saying one thing and doing another. IM warned CN and Uncommon about banning without admin discussion in the past, CN/Unc flaunted it, CN/Unc pays the price. Considering both can still post here, and still in fact do so, I don't see the difference, except now we're more able to post about CP without being banned by CN.

Guthrie wrote:
I would find this humourous, to say the least, if IM thought this thread showed an "excessive bout of arrogance." Though, come to think of it, most people would find it excessively arrogant to have a sixteen-year-old shove this stuff in their faces. Not that it matters anyway, because with my two cents in this debate come my farewells.

"I'm making a strong statement, but you can disregard it." Why do people do this? Either stand behind your own words or don't say anything at all.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Zombie Hunter Green
Keeps on picking the Rayon Launcher

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When IM tears down CP and rebuilds it, it'd be nice if he would just skip the rebuilding part. This forum is getting to be too dumb to live.
Guthie
The Assassin Prince

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh darn. I came back. I knew what would happen, but I just needed to witness it.

LeRoy: I see. Well, I suppose that's all well and good until you recall that IM didn't consult any of the other admins (at least none have said that they were consulted). IM shouldn't have done this "under the cover of night," and your metaphor made you appear to be backing his method. My apologies.

Setu: Thank you. And yes, I knew what would happen. In fact, I planned to make this point a long time ago, but school had other ideas and I was delayed until the two good threads to make these points in were closed.

RPGCreations: Did I ever say CN was correct in banning people right and left? Show me, and I'll apologize and withdraw. And what proof do you have that posting has gone down because of a sudden community-wide workaholic attitude? Although that's beside the point because of your next statement. Where did I say that posting was the metrestick that I used to measure forum health?

I'd back IM up on CN's removal (I'm not sure what Unc did, so I have nothing to say there), but they way in which he removed them was flawed. Like I said, I don't know a lot about the way in which this community is run since I haven't been here long enough to investigate it fully. But from what I've gathered, the admins discuss every banning, authority-stripping, and essentially everything else they do that affects the way CP's members or the way in which it runs. Since IM disregarded this procedure, he violated trust and responsiblity. And "backstab"...I see. Now I know what it means and I will cease using it incorrectly. Thank you.

Did I say that you could disregard my post? I mean, I'm sure if the community were a million replicas of you it certainly would, but thanks be to God that it's not. I said that it doesn't matter if IM thought I was being arrogant (and banned me), since I was leaving. Oh yeah: here I am, standing behind my words. Happy?

PHC: Thank you for getting my name correct. And I was not in complete understanding of the "Anti-semitism" thing. I knew a bunch of stuff that involved it was going around, and I knew most of it was coming from your direction, but this puts it in a bit different light. This groups it with Giz and MCW as slander. Calling someone anti-semite (slander) is a far cry from just telling them they have a screw loose (sarcasm). But the bitter sarcasm is what I was referring to there.

OK, the "Heil Inferior Minion!" thing. This was to drive my point home. Yeah, it's sarcasm, but it's sarcasm with a point. Or, as IM would call it, "constructive critiscism." This is to say, "Hey, this is where everyone else who's done this sort of thing went," not to slander him. He ain't there yet, and hopefully he never will be.

Yes, it's time to move on. Jeez, drive me on, why don't you? I have posted for a while as SlightlyPyro before I drowned that account in absolute stupidity (I accidentally changed the e-mail address to one that doesn't exist anymore). And everywhere else I am, I'm known as Guthie. So here I am. But back to the point. Yeah, I never released a game, but I learned a heckuva lot from OHR. Anyway, I figured no one would care if I left, and I'm glad to see that I was correct in that this community is devolving into callousness. "Heh, we lost another member, who cares?" mindset emanates.

Since I've suddenly become quite popular, I'll hang around a bit longer to "stand behind my own words."
and I'm the only one, and I walk alone.

-Green Day: Boulevard of Broken Dreams
ChocoSOLDIER
Ghost haunting the board

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some people just take everything too seriously.

Maybe it is time to move on. I was never really a respected member of this community, and to be honest, there were damn few of you here that I respected, either.

Maybe the lack of respect sprang from dumb crap like this, though. Doesn't matter now. I'm gone.
RPGCreations
E Pluribus Unum

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know more people are working on their games because requests via IRC/AIM for plotscripting help and Help Me board posts have increased aswell.

Whether or not they upload their games to CP is irrelevant.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooo, fun...

Quote:
3. Forum usage has dropped and I seriously doubt college finals have crap to do with it.

...followed by...

Quote:
Though, come to think of it, most people would find it excessively arrogant to have a sixteen-year-old shove this stuff in their faces.

Holy shit! A 16 year old who knows how stressful college finals are!

Wait... he might, after all... see?

Quote:
In fact, I planned to make this point a long time ago, but school had other ideas and I was delayed until the two good threads to make these points in were closed.

Hmm...

also...

Quote:
Racism isn't funny, anyway, even if it is in jest.

Quote:
If you want war, go suit up and take on some Iraqis.

Guthie, I find your disregard for Iraqis insulting. It should be noted that not all iraqis are enemies to the united states. Soldiers aren't killing Iraqis, good sir, they are killing terrorists. Therefore, I ask that you truly apologize for this great indecency done to the iraqi people, and I believe I speak for everyone when I say that, we find it pertinent that you also write the new leaders of Iraq with a formal apology.

Sincerely and Iraqily yours,

Jazz

(There was mroe fun, but I'll leave it to others to laugh at)[/b]
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Truthfully, I think this topic shouldn't be brought up any longer.

Quote:
Anyway, I figured no one would care if I left, and I'm glad to see that I was correct in that this community is devolving into callousness. "Heh, we lost another member, who cares?" mindset emanates.

How do you figure this? The only thing we feel sorry for is your unwillingness to get help to actually complete a game.

Quote:
When IM tears down CP and rebuilds it, it'd be nice if he would just skip the rebuilding part. This forum is getting to be too dumb to live.

Then why doesn't everyone just grow up and move on? That would be much better than destroying an otherwise possibly great site because some people that want to get on and post nonsense every chance they get.
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calehay wrote:
Truthfully, I think this topic shouldn't be brought up any longer.

Agreed. I second the motion to close this thread.
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thirded. This was just brought up to stir up conflict.

Oh, and for the record, the reason I've been got was because of college finals. It's a hell of a lot harder then you probably think it is. Hint: About 20x harder then HS finals.
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*pops in*

You also forgot the part about the loss of a whole bunch of long-time OHR members, including myself.

*ducks back out*
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: