Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

*Is* the Internet real life?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is there a difference between "cyberspace" and reality?
Yes
78%
 78%  [ 22 ]
No
21%
 21%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 28

no_shot
Surpasses you in poetical prowess

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:45 pm    Post subject: *Is* the Internet real life? Reply with quote

I have encountered much controversy, both online and off, about whether or not activities on the Internet can be considered "real life." Some would say that the Internet isn't real, and what you do therein really has no bearing on who you are, nor is it an accurate display of your real personality. This seems to be the popular opinion. Others would (dare) take the opposite standpoint, saying - directly or not - that your actions on the Internet both have an effect on your offline life, and are a raw portrait of you as a person. I think it might be interesting to debate this issue here, in this thread. Do you really take yourself, and others, seriously on your online escapades? Or do you consider cyberspace an alternate universe, a place where it is impossible to see peoples' true colors and nothing matters?
Machu
Righter, a person who rights wrongs

PostPosted: Tue Feb 22, 2005 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The internet is a huge network of computers. Human beings can communicate with them (some do so rather well). The method of communication is the only difference between people met by internet use and other means. This thread is loony.
[*]Starting now, there's going to be a lot less conversation and a lot more killing
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your statment isn't very philosophically logical or sound, as you never define what your definition of "real life" is. Is experience we gain? Is it knowledge (which relies on truth)? Is it association?

I'd say no. Though cyberspace is interactable, it is not tangible, like say a table or a chair. Cyberspace is a collection of intelligences, whereas "real life" is a collection of intelligences and a percieved physical world (going into whether or not you believe the physical world exists).

So...no.
Septimus
Warrior wizard garuda dwarf-chopping ocelot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont really see the internet as being part of "real life". To me an internet forum seems a much shallower place than say a social club you are physically in. When your talking on the net it's sorta just the mind isn't it, you can't read people's body language, facial expression, etc.
I guess the internet is a different part of reality, it's there alongside your normal life, when you go online and talk in a forum, you kinda become the person talking on the internet not the person you are normally.........
Now someone slap me for being such a pretencious bastard.
JSH357

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the internet is different because you can: 1) Delete things you already typed during communication and 2) assume any role you like.

I haven't met anyone who acts exactly the same in person than on the internet.

General happenings on the internet are largely unimportant to my life because I know I'll never associate with 99.9% of the people I meet in person. (Besides Aethereal, who I've met)

However, the internet is "real" in the sense that it is a valid communication channel.

PS: Threads like this are why we need a GD forum.
Joe Man

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The matrix has you...

And if that's true, there is absolutely no difference.

Last edited by Joe Man on Fri Dec 13, 1957 1:21 am; edited 2,892 time in total
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether the person acts the same online and off is, I suppose, dependent on the person or your perceptions of them. When you talk online with someone I know offline, I tend to keep that offline perception in mind, so it doesn't always feel different. But, when it does it feels almost like anyone additionally talking with the two of us knows that person in a different context, so in that way, some people might be different online.

That isn't to say that what you say online doesn't matter. Some people may take advantage of the freedom of never seeing the person their talking to face-to-face, but everyone taking part in the communication is still actually a human being that could potentially be affected by what you say or how you say it.

PS: post 1984!
WATCH OUT FOR BIG BROTHER :o
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are differences between online and real life, to be sure. But I would say they are both part of a whole. Either part can definitely have an effect on the other. Events in one part have an effect on your mood, which in general you carry with you wherever you go.

Obviously people are often very different online than they are in the real world. But this is true of any different social situation. I'm going to guess that most of you act differently around your parents than you do around your drinking buddies, for example.

The internet is still a bit different from this though. I think for some people how they act online is the same as how they would act in the real world if they were completely uninhibited by laws or social norms. It's true that you can assume any role you like, but the role that you choose will inevitably be chosen by your real personality, so it reflects on it in some way.

Quote:
I'd say no. Though cyberspace is interactable, it is not tangible, like say a table or a chair. Cyberspace is a collection of intelligences, whereas "real life" is a collection of intelligences and a percieved physical world (going into whether or not you believe the physical world exists).

The internet is stored on physical devices and the data (also physical) is transmitted through physical cables. You can perceive its physical basis as well as the output on your screen and sometimes in your speakers. Just because you can't feel the text on the screen or smell someone's avatar doesn't make it less real.

Also, people who wonder about whether or not the physical world exists are too useless to say anything valuable.

Last edited by Iblis on Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The gap between "real life" and synthetic online is closing fast. Soon Humans will be able to interact on almost every level online as they would in "real life".
PS: Instead of locking this, I think it would be neat to just move it to the locked up PL for viewing... Ok. Thank you.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PS: Instead of locking this, I think it would be neat to just move it to the locked up PL for viewing... Ok. Thank you.

Or instead of locking it, NOT locking it. That'd work just fine.
Kenji Murasame
Shizuma

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: ugh. Reply with quote

Is sound real? It's just vibration!
no_shot
Surpasses you in poetical prowess

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think writing is a communication skill just as important as speaking. When you talk on the phone, you're not face-to-face with the person, either, but that doesn't make you any less "yourself" (well, in some cases it does). The internet is just a really fast method of writing to other people. It's a good way to subject your writing style to the scrutiny of the public, because you get instant results, and you get to see how hundreds, thousands of people react to it; as opposed to school, where your writing was usually judged by only one person or a few people.
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHC wrote:
Quote:
Soon Humans will be able to interact on almost every level online as they would in "real life".

Evidence please.

Certainly, friend. Of course, the evidence is entirely hinged on one's definition of "real".

We already have web cams so we can see the person we are interacting with. We have programs that allow us to make long distance calls with fairly clear reception and communicate vocally. So we have sight and sound already. I can only surmise that some day we may even absorb into this "cyber space" and be able to touch and smell as well. Taste? Don't go there. XD

That's terribly off topic, though. I will leave it here. I have said my bit.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: