Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

*Is* the Internet real life?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

Is there a difference between "cyberspace" and reality?
Yes
78%
 78%  [ 22 ]
No
21%
 21%  [ 6 ]
Total Votes : 28

LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have said my bit, and you are totally entitled to your opinion, PHC...

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Raekuul
Delicious!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must agree with shadowiii on this matter, although i would like too add something (in bold)

Shadowiii wrote:
Your statment isn't very philosophically logical or sound, as you never define what your definition of "real life" is. Is experience we gain? Is it knowledge (which relies on truth)? Is it association?

I'd say no. Though cyberspace is interactable, it is not tangible, like say a table or a chair. Cyberspace is a collection of intelligencesand ideas, whereas "real life" is a collection of intelligences and a percieved physical world (going into whether or not you believe the physical world exists).

So...no.

Although long-winded (sorry in advance), shadowiii hits the nail on the head yet again!
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd like to meet everyone who doesn't believe the physical world exists and hit them with a bat... repeatedly.
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCW you fail at life. Where the heck is the "LOL INTERNET"?!
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PHC wrote:
Is there something wrong with wanting people to be able to back up theories? Everyone has a reason for believing what they believe.

No, I agree that a person should be able to proove what they believe. I just can't proove this theory to some people, I suppose.

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jabbercat
Composer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leroy's theory of internet advances are interesting, and completely possible. Although it isn't going to happen anytime soon, as PHC said.

Anyway, yes the internet is real life. Or more to the fact, PART OF IT.

How people act on the internet, has got nothing to do with the question
phyrfox
Avid Player

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People are often different on the internet; such things have been proven time and time again. I know I used to. To a large extent, I still do. My vocabulary is usually more fluent on the Internet. That is, I am a better typer/writer than I am a talker. Ironic, considering my daily job is to make people believe that I work for a company in which I'm not actually a direct employee of, and so, morally speaking, could be considered a lie. True, I represent the company that I'm paid to, but it's a third party who happens to be providing support for the company I represent. Therefore, I'm actually an employee of that third party, not the company I claim to represent.

I have posed myself as a female, with smashing success. I realized then the harm I was causing to others after one guy who could not differentiate between the "real life" and the Internet "fell in love with me." I was in it for the fun, he thought there was really a girl there.

Okay. Extreme example. I know. But the point is, it happens. People change on the internet, often to suit a particular purpose. Here are other things about me that vary...

Myth: I have an extensive knowledge of a lot of subjects.

Truth: In real life, this is generally false, since I have to depend on my often less-than-satisfactory memory. On the Internet, I can look up all sorts of things, and therefore appear knowledgeable to virtually any subject I apply myself to.

Myth: I am a happy-go-lucky person who's had a lot of success in life.

Truth: I often suffer from depression at a more or less chronic level. Mood swings are inevitable, and I can be very happy or very sad. Generally my mood smooths out, since when I catch a depressing phrase on my screen, I just delete it before it makes it out to the world.

That's just a small sample. The list goes on. And that's just me. There's plenty of people out there who fake their gender, age, social status, living conditions, or any other number of things on the internet. Some people are like a book wherever they go, honest to a fault. Most people have one or more online personas that do not reflect who they really are.

Maybe, someday, when the world is much like the Matrix, where you literally plug into the internet, things will change. Then again, maybe not. You might just be able to download a new "skin" and change your appearance anyway. Identity is very fluid on the internet, unlike in real life, where you have records of who you really are; things that you can't change just by typing a few keystrokes. I honestly don't think the Internet will truly reflect the "real" person of everybody who goes online, ever. There will always be a difference in how you are online, versus how you act on all other known mediums.

Even VoIP I would consider "not Internet", and webcams too. Those use the internet, certainly, but they don't reflect the general "privacy" of the internet that so many people value. Also, the features of webcams and VoIP can be duplicated on other mediums, whereas the internet, collectively, can not be transferred as easily (or even, at all, such as an executable file). Fabrication, then, the ability to make your own persona online, is the difference. In real life, you are who you appear to be, on the internet you appear to be how you want others to perceive you.

~= phyrfox =~
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
no_shot
Surpasses you in poetical prowess

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shadowiii: Isn't a computer as tangible as a desk or a chair? Are the words that appear on the screen less tangible than those in a letter or a book?

phyrfox: (comment on his posing as a female bit) It is possible to play such tricks in "real life." For example, I successfully convinced a gay man that I was gay, and carried on a relationship with him for quite some time after he fell in love with me.

I think the only difference between the internet and in-person is the style of communication.

Quote:
In real life, you are who you appear to be, on the internet you appear to be how you want others to perceive you.

I'd say it's more of an inkblot effect. You appear as OTHERS want to see you.
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phryfox wrote:
In real life, you are who you appear to be, on the internet you appear to be how you want others to perceive you.

In "real life" it's still the same. You can hide just as much of yourself from someone no matter how close to you they are. You might even do it more convincingly in "real life". It's like lying, all dependent on how good you are at it.

You used the example of yourself often being in depression. Well, how many people actually tell people when they're depressed? Not as many as you'd think. You might not be as good at hiding it as others, but that doesn't mean there aren't others who can hide it, and even do it well.

Social interaction, no matter where it takes place, is all about what you present and how others perceive it. Sending and receiving, respectively. That doesn't change when your online.

And Leroy, an asumption will never, ever, ever count as evidence. The only "some people" you can't prove your theory to are "some people" who will submit it to logical process, dear.
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jabbercat wrote:
Leroy's theory of internet advances are interesting, and completely possible. Although it isn't going to happen anytime soon, as PHC said.

Thank you. I concur. It probably won't happen for several years yet. Raspberry!

Uncommon wrote:
And Leroy, an assumption will never, ever, ever count as evidence. The only "some people" you can't prove your theory to are "some people" who will submit it to logical process, dear.

Thank you. I agree entirely. I will think harder before I post next time.
I guess it wasn't a theory, but more of a prediction. My "theory" was also entirely irrelevant...

---msw188 ---
Ssalamanderr
Simply too strong. Simply too beautiful!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fail to see why if someone acts differently on the internet, that the internet is not "real life." That person is still "really" on the computer typing whatever it is they are saying. Its not like the internet is another dimension or something...

Or is it...

Ukelele no good!
Me
HI.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 26, 2005 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am sitting in a chair. It is comprised of atoms, which are in turn made up of protons, neutron, and electrons. The chair is real, no question.
The Internet is a complex thing, but at heart it is just a large collection of information. This information is stored in a variety of ways, but it all boils down pretty much to atoms and free electrons. The Internet is a part of reality, and if you say otherwise YOU ARE INSANE IN A BAD WAY.
3m strips
command adhesive

PostPosted: Fri Mar 04, 2005 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

????????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????
?????????????????????????????????????
????????????????????????????????

this is deap stuff!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: