Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

WELCOME.RPG
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdrianX wrote:
..wait,James,is it just me that experiences the rewards bug?what version of OHR should i use in the contest when i always experience that bug?

Bug 142 has already been fixed in the sources, but it is still present in serendipity+

The tirgoviste release will fix that, but we have a chicken-and-the-egg dilema here, since I was hoping that welcome.rpg could be included in Tirgoviste.

I would reccomend testing with the latest nightly build from http://hamsterrepublic.com/ohrrpgce/archive/ohrrpgce-binary-win-nightly.zip (the game-fb2-native.exe is the exe you should use)
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait what

James, I'd really like to be able to bugtest and/or take advantage of Tirgoviste's features for WELCOME (Fenrir's game; I'm doing some battle design and stuff). At what point will the nightly be stable enough to use for development on the game?

Fen, we should talk. I've been throwing around ideas and I want to hear what you have in mind.
Technomancer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's feature complete now, so it should be good to test with. There's a few outstanding bugs, but they're not as critical as the other ones (theres one nasty one affecting the dos version which I suppose is the only blocker right now).

So, go ahead and use a nightly, it's just that good.

Final Fantasy Q
OHR Developer BLOG
Official OHRRPGCE Wiki and FAQ
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 02, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moogle1 wrote:
wait what

James, I'd really like to be able to bugtest and/or take advantage of Tirgoviste's features for WELCOME (Fenrir's game; I'm doing some battle design and stuff). At what point will the nightly be stable enough to use for development on the game?

Fen, we should talk. I've been throwing around ideas and I want to hear what you have in mind.

The number of finished bugs on the Release Check List is a good indicator of the stability of the nightylies.

Normally I would advise people to use the latest stable version, but this is a special case. Serendipity and Serendipity+ were so buggy that the nightlies are already more stable than stable.

I am still not sure yet if Tirgoviste will release before or after this contest is over.
AdrianX
..yeah.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..i already experience a bug in the nightly builds.to execute custom,i should run fbgame.exe first.nothing will happen i double click on any of the fb customs first.
..anyway, i thought the edit menus feature will be included in the next release?
..and another thing,the precise weapon placement doesn't work;or i dont know how to use it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdrianX wrote:
..i already experience a bug in the nightly builds.to execute custom,i should run fbgame.exe first.nothing will happen i double click on any of the fb customs first.

Come again? I did not understand that.

AdrianX wrote:
..anyway, i thought the edit menus feature will be included in the next release?

No, unfortunately, since serendipity was so buggy, we decided to focus entirely on bugfixing for the next release. Editable menus should be in the next release after that.

AdrianX wrote:
..and another thing,the precise weapon placement doesn't work;or i dont know how to use it.

It should work, but yes, the interface for it is a little confusing. I think I would like to see a separate sub-menu where you see the attack graphics and position a crosshairs over the hand on each frame-- but that may have to wait until after Tirgoviste.
AdrianX
..yeah.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 03, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..ok,sorry.here's the real story:when i downloaded the nightly build,all the custom.exe files doesn't work until i run one of the game.exes first.after running a game.exe file,i closed it; then all the custom.exes worked fine.i use windows xp sp2.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
AdrianX
..yeah.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..due to the continuous revisions of my thesis (it's a sidescrolling computer game,anyway;the panelists liked it and wanted it to be included in my university's's collection of multimedia software), i would like to announce that (sadly) i won't be able to finish my entry for the welcome.rpg contest.however,if ever i finshed my thesis before march 17,i MIGHT be able to join; if not, i will still upload my welcome.rpg just in case James want another example.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Mar 20, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdrianX wrote:
..due to the continuous revisions of my thesis (it's a sidescrolling computer game,anyway;the panelists liked it and wanted it to be included in my university's's collection of multimedia software), i would like to announce that (sadly) i won't be able to finish my entry for the welcome.rpg contest.however,if ever i finshed my thesis before march 17,i MIGHT be able to join; if not, i will still upload my welcome.rpg just in case James want another example.

I am still interested in seeing what you make, even if it isn't finished.
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, what a way to revive a dead topic. But here goes.

James, I want to use Plotscripting in Welcome.RPG. I REALLY, REALLY, REALLY want to use plotscripting in Welcome.RPG. The game itself is practically finished - all that's left now is bugtesting and some minor play balancing, and for the music to be touched up. There's many reasons I want to have it, amoung them better presentation of select scenes, an actual ending credits-roll to thank everyone involved, and also because it'll draw more attention to the project. But the best reason is that I feel our newcomers will get more out of a project by seeing plotscripting in action (nothing too complex), then inspiring them to say "I can do that!". Just about everyone else who's been involved in this from the music to the playtesting to even people who aren't directly involved at all have voiced their support of involving plotscripting. Even Thellos, who has been howling at me to finish this and get back to work on my main project, agrees that Welcome.RPG needs to have plotscripting.

The first OHR game I ever played was Wandering Hamster. Seeing the opening scenes, then watching NPCs walking around and talking, then seeing how easily it could all be done was the thing that convinced me to stick with the OHR. I wholeheartedly feel that being able to inspire a new generation of OHRRPGCE users in the same way would be the most productive use of my time.

So what do you say? I'll document every line, include the file and everything, even show step by step what each line does, if only to get it approved. Truthfully, this was only supposed to be a 10 minute game for demonstration purposes, and I myself can just barely break over 2 hours in it. It just seems fitting to pull out all the stops with it.
Calehay
...yeah.
Class B Minstrel

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want my two cents:

I believe that Welcome.RPG should really stand-out in everything. That way, new users will play it and say "Wow, how was that done?" and study the code to learn to do something like that in their own games. At least, that's the way that I see it. I mean, it doesn't have to be completely mindblowing. I think Wandering Hamster would actually be a good example of how much to really expect from a Welcome.RPG.
Rinku

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure how far this project has gone, not having read the whole thread, but how about you just include And& as welcome.rpg? It looks okay, has a cliche story, doesn't use plotscripting, and it would be easy to replace its music with music that's included in custom.exe, and I'd be willing to make it public domain (which I'm normally ideologically against but it was my first released OHR game, created in 24 hours for a contest, and I don't plan on making a sequel to it or anything).

http://castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=96
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, you have convinced me :) I withdraw my previous objections to plotscripting
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you use plotscripting, you should use the new scripting conventions in Ubersetzung. This just means using triggers instead of definescript (henceforth obsolete), and maybe && and || instead of ,and, and ,or, (to set a good example)
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mad Cacti wrote:
If you use plotscripting, you should use the new scripting conventions in Ubersetzung. This just means using triggers instead of definescript (henceforth obsolete), and maybe && and || instead of ,and, and ,or, (to set a good example)

Do we have any decent documentation on that yet? 'HamsterSpeak Specification' still needs rewriting...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: