Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

WELCOME.RPG
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: WELCOME.RPG Reply with quote

When a new user downloads the OHRRPGCE and runs it for the first time, they see three files, SAMPLE.RPG, NPC_TAG.RPG and PSTUTOR.RPG, none of which is very pretty, and none of which makes much sense if you aren't reading the HOWTO at the same time.

Would anyone in the OHR community be interested in making a WELCOME.RPG that would be included with the official distribution of the OHR?

It should be:
* Short and Simple (maybe 15 to 20 minutes max from intro to final boss)
* Pretty looking and pleasant sounding
* Not plotscripted at all

This will inevitably become the base of all future cheezy newbie games, but at least cheezy newbie games won't be based on the NPC_TAG smileys and that hideous sandsea.bmp anymore :)

EDIT: I am sorry that I totally failed to make this clear earlier, but I would prefer WELCOME.RPG to be something that people are allowed to use as they please. At best, Public Domain, or at least GPL compatable or Creative-Commons Attribution-Sharealike.... however, since I neglected to mention this until more than a week after I originally announced the idea, I am not going to be a stickler for this. As long as it is okay to distribute your game with the OHRRPGCE, it is okay.

When you submit your work, be sure to specify if it is PD, GPL, CC, plain-copyright-but-free or other. (You will be credited for your work no matter which licence you choose)

Last edited by Bob the Hamster on Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:22 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jack
the fool

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ch'yeah, i'm all for this; team effort though.
Tuck in your shirt.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd miss good ol' sandsea. We spent many hours together learning the OHR back in the day. Ha ha ha!
Joe Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not just include Airship 2600?
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Airship 2600 doesn't exist, except in our minds. Neutral That, and it can't involve plotscripting at all. Personally, if the welcome.rpg file also came with the text file that had all the plotscripts in it, and was well documented, I could see there being room for an opening, ending, and also one game over script.

Hmmm...

Idea
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gah! Something awesome like this comes up and I'm technically "not here."

Poops.

ps crystal globe LOL.
AdrianX
..yeah.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..is this a contest?or maybe..is there a deadline?
..and what's it about?i mean,will it be an rpg with a cliche story?or an rpg all about the OHR and its features?
..if only im not finishing up my thesis i would do it..

..or maybe i will..

..let's see...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Sparoku
Pyrithea Amethyst.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Would anyone in the OHR community be interested in making a WELCOME.RPG that would be included with the official distribution of the OHR?

I might be interested. Would I recieve credit for it if I did decide to do it?

Post #300

My Discord ID: SparDanger#0305
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now that sounds spiffy, James.
A welcome RPG might extend the OHR to a broader audience and it's always good to look friendly. And what would say friendly more than a Welcome.rpg? Happy[/list][/list]

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdrianX wrote:
..is this a contest?or maybe..is there a deadline?
..and what's it about?i mean,will it be an rpg with a cliche story?or an rpg all about the OHR and its features?...

I wasn't thinking of it as a contest, but if people thing that is a good way to do it, that would be cool.

Serendipity released today, so I guess the deadline would be the next release, Tirgoviste, which (hopefully) will be in about a month.

I think a slightly cliched story would be appropriate.

Sparrowhawk wrote:

[color=darkred]I might be interested. Would I recieve credit for it if I did decide to do it?

Yes, anyone who participates in the creation of WELCOME.RPG would certainly receive credit for their work.
AdrianX
..yeah.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

..how about the music?should it be original?or should we use the ones included with custom?
..and how are we gonna submit it to you?
..backdrops in cutscenes are allowed,right?
..and i think it should be a contest..and at least three winners(1st,2nd,etc..)..that way,new OHR users can play three different sample games from different game developers.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an alternative to the Piano-heavy midi's included with custom already, here is a selection of songs from the Prominade Suite (many of the free songs availible in Custom, I'm not sure what the actual name is) which use different instrumentation. Bydlo Cart sounds much better, as does the Hut of Baba Yaga. Check it out, at any rate.

http://castleparadox.com/fenart/NewOHRMusic.zip

[EDIT] Heck with it. I can't find the documentation that shows their legitimacy for public use after some time of searching, though they were reorchestrated by Maurice Ravel, sometime in the 1920's. The link's been personally sabotaged as well, so no trying to grab them again. Alas, it would have been nice to have a better selection of the free music in custom. Crying
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack wrote:
ch'yeah, i'm all for this; team effort though.

Trust me, Jack. Team efforts in this community have mostly never gone anywhere.

I can't say that I'd have the time to do it (although ironically an unplotscripted game would be a speciality of mine since I'm programming-retarded).

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2006 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AdrianX wrote:
..how about the music?should it be original?or should we use the ones included with custom?
..and how are we gonna submit it to you?
..backdrops in cutscenes are allowed,right?
..and i think it should be a contest..and at least three winners(1st,2nd,etc..)..that way,new OHR users can play three different sample games from different game developers.

The music should be what is in custom... but that being said, if you want to add a new song, just pick one that is okay to package with custom. The included midi collection needs some expanding anyway.

I have no objection to backdrops.

1 game is the goal. We will think about additional ones later.

The games can be posted wherever and linked to this thread.
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One month? Shouldn't be too hard. Allright, I'm in then.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: