Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

WELCOME.RPG
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2020 1:32 am    Post subject: Re: WELCOME.RPG Reply with quote

Bob the Hamster wrote:
When a new user downloads the OHRRPGCE and runs it for the first time, they see three files, SAMPLE.RPG, NPC_TAG.RPG and PSTUTOR.RPG, none of which is very pretty, and none of which makes much sense if you aren't reading the HOWTO at the same time.

Would anyone in the OHR community be interested in making a WELCOME.RPG that would be included with the official distribution of the OHR?

It should be:
* Short and Simple (maybe 15 to 20 minutes max from intro to final boss)
* Pretty looking and pleasant sounding
* Not plotscripted at all

Hilariously, while this request eventually evolved into the very much plotscripted Vikings of Midgard, I made a game nearly 15 years later entirely of my own volition that basically fits this to a T:

http://www.castleparadox.com/gamelist-display.php?game=1095

msw188 wrote:
Thinking along Fenrir's lines, if this game is supposed to show what kind of RPGs the OHR can pull off without plotscripting, I think that it ought to use as many of the pieces of the OHR as possible. In particular, there ought to be different kinds of spell lists (random, MP based, FF1 style), items and equipment, enough heroes to use the 'hire' part of the shop editor, vehicles, backdrops, some of the global text strings changed, random battles and NPC triggered battles, etc.

Wait a minute...I did all those things! Many of these features such as FF1 Style MP aren't used in Vikings!

I was able to work a plotscripting tutorial into a folder inside without the need to include a script in the game itself.

This...this is just mind-boggling. I had no idea this thread was the origin of Vikings and, finding Vikings not to be the best tutorial for what I felt should be done for actually teaching the engine I set out to make exactly that.

In the span of a single week, thanks in large part to the free resources provided by others such as FnrrfYgmSchich's 8-bit graphics pack, I was able to do EXACTLY what this thread originally asked for.

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
And keep it G-rated guys, but that goes without saying.

And I was able to do this, too~ No out of place F-bombs or scenes where a thief steals someone's panties.

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: