Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Multiple Storylines

View previous topic :: View next topic  
shonjuku

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:36 pm    Post subject: Multiple Storylines Reply with quote

I was just wondering how I might go about making a game with multiple characters to choose from, all with different storylines...
Joe Man

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't played many story driven games and I don't know, bt i'm sure it's been done, especially with Star Wars games since Star Wars is shown in that manner. I know Crossbeam Studios' project Orb will feature multiple storylines, but that's the only game I know of.

Last edited by Joe Man on Fri Dec 13, 1957 1:21 am; edited 2,892 time in total
Jack
the fool

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: Multiple Storylines Reply with quote

shonjuku wrote:
I was just wondering how I might go about making a game with multiple characters to choose from, all with different storylines...

not hard at all. make it so when the player starts, there's a character selection screen. then, when the player 'talks' to whichever character they want to be, have some plotscripting (or tag work) to put that character into the party (remember to remove the 'arrow', or default hero). then also have that character teleport the player to where they start they're story.

it's not hard either to make multiple quests, just be sure to work on each one by it's self. don't try to juggle each one. tags can be re-used as well, just make sure you know what you're doing before hand.

also:using the same exact locations can be a little tricky, though. just make sure there are no npc's that are quest related and aren't turned off/on by a tag. just know, you'll require a lot of tag work if you choose to do same locations (that can be overcame if you clone each map).

Last edited by Jack on Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:43 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
JSH357

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, a character selection screen is the way to go. There's a couple of ways to go about it that I can think of right off the top of my head:

1) Start on a black screen or something with some NPCs for all the characters and have the player talk to the one he wants to play as.
2) Use a backdrop image with pictures of the characters sorted by number and have the player press the desired key.
3) Introduce all of the characters in some kind of story scene and have the player choose afterward.

All of these require a wee bit of advanced plotscripting unless you want to get really creative about it. I would recommend learning some if you haven't.
AdrianX
..yeah.

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..Wild Arms 1 and 2 features character selection at game start(i dunno about 3 or 4, i don't have a PS2),although the characters will meet up sooner or later anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2006 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Squaresoft tried it with SaGa Frontier, but the games horribly sucked. Honestly, though, I believe it CAN be done; you'll just be walking a fine line by taking it on.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Nintendork

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm doing something a lot like that, note my avatar. Except in mine, the players all do the same storyline and warp to the same place, but it shouldn't be much harder doing yours.
LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a late response, I know... But maybe do something like what I am planning to do... You start out with one default character, introduce them, then after playing some sort of practice mission, swap to another story. Make the forshadowing that the two (or three or more)have something to do with each other. Or do like what Donkey kong country does sort of. Swap characters when ever you feel like it. The stories can start and stop as you swap.
I like the being able to swap characters when ever you feel like it. I'd get stuck on one, then swap and come back to him later. Of course, there would be a point where you couldn't play further with some because they are destined to meet at that time. In that case, I think there should be an AI which controls the other character even while you're away. Now I'm getting ahead of myself...
There are many ways to get to the store. :3

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
shonjuku

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: confusion Reply with quote

Well, the main idea is that there are 3 characters to choose from... The storylines will intermingle.
Dr. Baconman

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might only be effective if it's a short game, but here's an idea I came up with:
=====
Use tags when you're determining which character to choose, and then you'll start out on the first map.
The only thing is, you need to make one "first map" for each character.
Same applies to the "second map," "third map," "final map" and so on.
It'll take a lot of space, but seeing as how you can make duplicates of maps and edit them and considering OHRRPGCE's no-longer-having-a-limit-of-100-maps, this shouldn't be too much of a hassle.
Onlyoneinall
Bug finder

PostPosted: Fri May 12, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah, wait, what? OHR doesn't have a 100 map limit anymore??

I was planning on making a game with multiple storylines, but I decided not to go with it for fear of my tendency to lose motivation. So I'm sticking with something simpler that I'm sure I can do without losing motivation except maybe from time to time.

LeRoy_Leo
Project manager
Class S Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Onlyoneinall wrote:
I was planning on making a game with multiple storylines, but I decided not to go with it for fear of my tendency to lose motivation.

That's no good, friend. You have to try harder to not lose motivation. One method is to have support: a team to keep the ideas flowing. Or if you prefer a solo job, keep notes and sketches and look at them before you start so you know where you left off. Other than that, playing other people's games can be a good source of inspiration as well... But I'm really getting off topic here. Tis just something to know.

Summation: You don't kill the motivation... Life does. o.o

---msw188 ---
"Seriously James, you keep rolling out the awesome like gingerbread men on a horror-movie assembly line. "
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: