Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

How much time a week do you spend on your game?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: How much time a week do you spend on your game? Reply with quote

I posted this on Renz, but I'm curious to the responce here.

I have about 2 hours a week to work because of some serious studytime this semester Pissed off! (alliteration!)
Komera

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None when Rinku has it.

Ha ha ha!

SD - Ten creatures remaining.
Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never go by a set amount of time. I always start when I get to thinking about it, and I quit when I feel I've got something done. For my first game I would do tiny pieces at a time, like a walkabout, or some of a walkabout, or choosing the pallete for the walkabout, or just deciding what background color I'm gonna use on the last place here, or perhaps today I'll name a tag. But now I don't stop until I feel the game is different than it was last I touched it. For example, I just finished writing every piece of text into my game Bastard Guns. It's a short western, so that's very little text, but still comes out to around a hundred boxes of words. And then I read some text and found that while the dialogue worked, the font didn't, so I decided to do the font. The thing about a western though is that the dialogue doesn't matter that much, the heroes and villains are usually very broad, larger than life people who never speak when they can act instead, and dialogue makes characters more specific and easy to nail down rather than a large general purpose character. Also, they spend most of their time alone, so their speaking skills are limited at best. It's also a throwback to NES games where 90% of the story you got from reading the manual.

So what I'm saying is that I wrote up everything that needs to be read in the entire game, and I'm not quite satisfied for the day, right now I'm going to do a tileset and the map it goes to. Tomorrow I'll probably polish the walkabouts (I have a walkabout for every character, but they don't all have animations for all four directions yet), then feel disappointed that all the GFX work is done (The easiest part for me personally, and the funnest), and struggle with battle balancing and plotscripts (The two pieces I've been putting off). And of course there's usually an hour of break time where I stop and play someone elses game or check the MB. I usually try to keep the break time OHR related, if my mind drifts too far from what I'm working with then I risk losing interest (I love the OHR, but I have to admit that protesting the war on Iraq is more interesting and more important to me, if OHR weren't more fun I wouldn't be here).

My friend Amanda (Stoneset Saga) usually comes up with a brief outline of the game with some general pieces of dialogue, characters and ideas, and then she writes it like jazz, coming up with more ideas when she sees her ideas come out in game form (Most of the Billy Idol stuff was improvised and dramatically altered from her original idea). And when she's done she asks me to write a game over script for her since she doesn't even like touching plotscripting for something as simple as that.

I think "How much time in a day" would be a better question, as the week long thing asks for a general average rather than getting anything interesting across, like learning peoples work ethics and theories and creative processes and such.

BTW, I created IMD version one by beating myself in the face with the book of nihilism until something funny happened.

http://www.castleparadox.com/forum/gamelist-display.php?game=620
JSH357

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... You're Gilbert?!

Now it all makes sense...

Boy, I feel stupid.
MultiColoredWizard
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't know Rolling Stone was Gilbert?

Damn, you are stupid.

Last edited by MultiColoredWizard on Mon Feb 17, 2003 1:01 am; edited 1 time in total
JSH357

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, look everybody!
MCM is 12!
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cough*

Lets get back on topic please? No :flamedevil:ing people, heh.
Komera

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey, look everybody!
MCM is 12!

mcW
MCW

He evidently went and got that Rat Tail and talked to Bahamut for that upgrade while all our backs were turned.

SD - Ten creatures remaining.
Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of these days I think I'll promote myself to "Tumbling Boulder".

Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2003 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pardon me for not replying with such promptness. I was to busy trying to regain control of myself I was laughing so hard.

Heh... Ha ha ha!
Ssalamanderr
Simply too strong. Simply too beautiful!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:44 am    Post subject: Uh, I'm not sure if this thread is still on topic, but: Reply with quote

I work on my game about 1% of the time I feel I should be working on it.

That's about once or twice a month I go and change some graphics.

However, I have started working on my game on a daily basis so hopefully I will get something finished.

Ukelele no good!
Rinku

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

3-6 hours per day, about 25 hours a week average. but i don't work on only one game, of course. and i count both planning time (working on the design document and script) and custom.exe time (or the other-engine equivalent to custom.exe if i'm not using the ohr). currently my schedule is set up like this:

sunday to tuesday: kinder der alter
alternate wednesdays: ergintandal
alternate wednesdays: before they shoot you
thursday: kinder der alter
friday: wingedmene
saturday: septaweekly (okay, that's not a game...)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2003 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woah. You are a lot better organized than me.
zetes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rinku, thats cool. Unfortunately, I have a ton of homework and I only have one game, so I spend all my possible gaming time on it. Then I'll take little breaks every once and a while for silver eclipse. Don't read that, Robert. Oookay...
Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh. I'm plotscripting my game now, and I find that when I'm doing something that bores me (Thankfully, this is the only thing in the process I really find boring) I take every excuse for a break... Of course if I want to get this thing released in a reasonable amount of time I'm gonna have to start going faster than one script a day. Even though schedules have always worked against my personality type (for one thing, I've never had an entirely predictable life), setting aside at least a full hour or two a day for this might be a good idea. Or heck, I have a day off work tomorrow, maybe around six hours.. wait, five, I'll need to go shopping for clear eyes and speed.

Edit- Rinku, 25 hours a week is amazing dedication. But do you ever eat/sleep/have a job/go to school/use the bathroom?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: