Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

How much time a week do you spend on your game?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cardcaptor Stacey
Mistress of the Clow

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2003 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

About 2-4 hours a week on video games, not including making my own. I have lots of things to do. >Big grin
Sephyroth
Renegade Rebel Redmage
Class A Minstrel

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only get to work on the OHRRPGCE on weekdays when my parents aren't home. (They'd probably let me work on it weekends if I get all my work done, but I DON'T, and I'd be able to work weekdays when my parents ARE home if custom.exe would work for me without me having to quit out of windows.)
So.. each day when my parents aren't home, I'd probably spend an hour working on my games. Of course, this is only theoretical. In the end, I'd spent a huge amount of time playing other OHR games, so I probably only get in two hours work each week. o_O
DemocraticAnarchist
Sleep Deprived

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What?!?!
How do you peoples manage to make decent games if you only spent 2-4hrs a week making it? i spend about 3hrs a day/21 hrs a week making mine. its still crap! Ha ha ha!
[shameless self promotion]
check it out at [url]democraticanarchist.tripod.com/rok[/url]
that version is a month old, and im updating all grafx cos those ones are HORRIBE but hey i dont think its too bad for a newbie who never made one and is making it up as they go along Oookay...
[/shameless self promotion]
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't revive dead threads Dead
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Sun May 11, 2003 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I work on my game whenever I can (particularly, whenever I have a computer with OHR). That hasn't been for about a month or so...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Sephyroth
Renegade Rebel Redmage
Class A Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, nowadays I'm spending about 8 hours a week working on my OHR game, (That's 1.5 hour(s) each weekday, and I slack off on weekends)
Sephyroth
Renegade Rebel Redmage
Class A Minstrel

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, nowadays I'm spending about 8 hours a week working on my OHR game, (That's 1.5 hour(s) each weekday, and I slack off on weekends)
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I pretty much spend half of my entire private life on my comp working. For cryin' out loud, I even spend my time while at work thinking about how I'm going to develop certain projects.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Bob360
Rusty Vet

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I spend about 20 - 40 hours a month on my game (yes i no thats a big variation it just depends on how much time i spend doing my physical training, homework, school,and work)

if i spent 20 hours a week on my game i would finish a game a month!!!! My game right now is about 25 hours long and i have been working on it for about 6 months! Im hoping when its done it will be around 40-60 hours long... the one problem is im on my second rpg file ALREADY!
A hundred pound man could beat a 300 pound man
-Bruce Lee
Shadowiii
It's been real.

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Updated: No time, nada. Boo hoo. Besides, I've gotta find all the endings in Metroid Fusion.

Heh.
PIcaRDMPC

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't call this a dead thread Aeth. Oookay...

To answer the question: What game? Oookay...
SunsOfFlame

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I'm not biking or hanging out with people or playing NBA street, or splinter cell or eating or sleeping, which is maybe 20 minutes a day. And school is under sleeping.
Eggie

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to get in around 45-60 minutes daily. You know, just to keep things moving.
Ronin Catholic
Deadliest of Fairies

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back when this thread was new:
I was allowed, at max, one hour a day of playing videogames (and only on Monday through Saturday; on Sunday I could draw or read books but wasn't allowed to play games). I had to divide this between playing professional RPGs on my GBA (Dragon Warrior, Pokemon, Final Fantasy Tactics Advance, Final Fantasy Dawn of Souls, Breath of Fire II), playing action games that were also fun (Super Smash Bros. Melee, Sonic Adventure 2, Viewtiful Joe, Mega Man Anniversary Collection) and using the OHR (and I wanted to play OHR games, not just make them!). A loophole though: MSPaint and Notepad were not videogames, so presuming I got my studies done I could write out text documents planning story beats, spells, monsters, items, and so on and draw sprites/backdrops in MSPaint. I did not take enough advantage of this!

Back when I first joined the forum:
Exactly the same rules, but my attention was being divided between pointless forum arguments, reading insightful forum posts, the OHR, and other games.

This "one hour a day" restriction wasn't lifted from me until 2012. No Eat? Maces Wild? Densetsu no Okami? All done with a strict "one hour of videogames" limit my parents set in my early teens. Moron Mission had those limits and also had the further limit that I didn't start working on it until at most two weeks before the TGC deadline that year, and was one of my first games to actually be well-recieved.

Karrible was the first game where I wasn't forbidden by the rules of the house I was living in to spend more than an hour a day on games in general. However, I also had a real job to contend with and my grandfather and uncle seemed to think dragging me along to social functions would be good for me mentally and emotionally; no idea why they believed this. In practice, I spent an average of at best 10 minutes a day working on games.

In October of 2017, I finally moved into my own apartment. Now that I could set my own schedule...I sometimes spend 12-18 hours working on a game, sometimes I go two or three months without touching the editor or any games for it.

And of course, number of hours worked on a game has no correlation to how long it takes to complete. TutOHRial took me one week, Vore Day RPG took me two days, Moron Mission took me two weeks but is far less complete than either of them, Densetsu no Okami and Maces Wild are permanent demos despite getting years of development poured into them. The original Wolf's Quest was a labor of roughly a year, or two years if you include rebooting it completely from the ground up once and while a worse game than Densetsu no Okami, is also a more complete one.

No Eat, Trytuges, OHRodents, and A Quest each took one month. The half-assed changes I made to "tone down" No Eat's artistic vision would've only taken about a week if I could've put my heart into it, but it was literally demotivating to cut that shit out. Trytuges still has a barren final dungeon and heroic castle.

Aethereal wrote:

What are you going to do about it, lock it?

Reviving dead threads was never wrong and now I'm experienced and confident enough to say it. The real rule is "Always provide relevant content".

"I didn't start the flame war;
I can't understand a word you're saying
nor the game you're playing~"
Swordplay
Be All End All

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2021 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronin Catholic wrote:

Aethereal wrote:

What are you going to do about it, lock it?

Reviving dead threads was never wrong and now I'm experienced and confident enough to say it. The real rule is "Always provide relevant content".

Absolutely wild. NO ONE CAN STOP US Ha ha ha!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: