Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

A big collaborative zombie game
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AJHunter
Probably Naked

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:02 pm    Post subject: A big collaborative zombie game Reply with quote

Hey! I started to plan out a game, but it got to big for a n00b like me to do alone! So I got to thinking, "Why not make it a collaborative project?" Then I realized that people wouldn't be able to update the file without my 4Shared login information; now, I'm not prepared to risk my files to make a game, so I decided that when someone is done with a part of the game, they can email it to me and I will update it on 4Shared in a folder called "OHRRRPGCE COLAB" in a sub folder called "Z0MBI3 H4XORZ"

Big grin FINALLY! THE LINK! Big grin

Anyway, here's the idea:

###

Z0MBI3 H4X0RZ
Battle a never-ending hoard of the undead in a post-apocalyptic wasteland! Five massive areas loaded with obstacles, speeders, boats, hovercrafts, supplies, buildings, modern ruins, and, of course, ZOMBIES TO HH4X0RZ! (a cross between Left 4 Dead and my own twisted idea of what the zombie apocalypse is going to look like)

STATS:
speed- spd- 1/2*def
defense- def- 3/4*atk
attack- atk- (4*spd)-(1/4*def)
majik- mjk- 1/3*(atk+def+spd)
strength- buf (like in "buff")- (1/2*atk)+(3/8*def)
(being the n00b I am, I am being n00bish. what I was thinking was some sort of custom stat engine thing.)

SPECIAL STATS:
drunkennes- bze (like "booze")- aim-10=1(bze)- fixed by sobriety potion
hangover- hng- spd-5(bze) & aim+10(bze)=1(hng); fixed by pigbelly bread
LEVELING UP:
experience (exp) to level (lvl) equasion: lvl=(exp^2)-(1/2*(spd+def+buf+mjk))+(bze+hng)*(1/2*X)
X=random number from 1 to 50

PARTY CHARACTERS:
Jick el Tearer- (dark)- mysterious, remorseful serial killer being haunted by victims
Phoenix- (fire)- Jick's wife, regrets her old life as an evil genetic engineer
Chuck Norris- (light, 'cause he's faster than it)- Chuck Norris ('nuff said), regrets not hiring Phoenix to create a Chuck Norris clone super-army
Posidon- (water)- Greek god of the sea, regrets not allowing Phoenix's hoard of gigantic box jellyfish into the ocean ('cause it was Chuck's idea to put them there)
Olaf- (earth)- Viking berzerker and Phoenix's highschool sweetheart, regrets that last shot...
Zapdos- (electric)- electric legendary bird pokemon, regrets being Phoenix's college sweetheart (I mean, really, her name makes her seem like a legendary bird of some sort)

NON-PLAYING CHARACTERS
Safehouse Guy (Adam)- paranoied about zombies, so he survived the Apocalypse of Zombie by staying in his bunker/house
Arms and Armaments Dealer (Nina)- she deals in weapons and armor, wadidja expect?

ZOMBIE TYPES:
in order of most common to most rare:
John Doe Zombie- Just your average zombie
Macro-Corpse- Big ol' fat ol' strong ol' zombie
Elemental Zombies-
Grue (dark; only in caves)- Are these things undead? I'm not sure...
Eurg (light; only in light)- The opposite of a grue
Fire Zombie (fire)- HOT! HOT! HOT!
Water Zombie (water)- Eeeewwwww... The crabs got it's eyes... (less accurate)
Earth Zombie (earth)- Oh, man, I hope that's _mud_...
Zomborg- (electric)- cyberneticaly reanimated corpse
Valkerie- A flying zombie from the frigid northlands
Cultist Zombie- Just plain evil
Vengance Zombie- "Ahm gonna git chu!"
Vigilante Zombie- Trying to win his soul back by saving everyone on the Earth; he didn't do too well...
Patchy- Think "Frankenstien," but more rotten. And evil.
Shayman- a Polynesian immigrant witch doctor whose exposure to various plants, fungi, and exotic animals has given him a powerfull venom
ZombiEXP- a weak adversary that gives tons of experience
ZomBling- a weak adversary that gives tons of money
ZombItem- a weak adversary thats half random-stuff gollum and half zombie and gives tons of regular (non-majik) items (like weapons, ammo, food, drink, clothes, et al.)
Zomboni- a gypsy zombie that gives tons of majik items

ITEMS:
non-majik:
sweetloaf- regains HP- a medievil recipie for the nobles, made with honey, water, and sugar slowly carmelized with pine nuts, then shaped into loafs; it's really, REALLY sweetly, tooth-rottingly good
Dunkin' Doughnuts- increase speed- my mouth is watering; imma run 'n' get some...
toast- increases accuracy- face it, all toasters toast it, and they shoot it out... what else is there to do with it but shoot stuff at it while it's airborn?
hormone-enhanced Oreos- increases strength- testosterone (or estrogen, if that's how you roll) laced trans fats and sugars btween two artaficialy-flavored chocolate cookies; whats NOT to love?
Kevlar Krispies sweetened Kevlar cereal- increases defense- when I wake up, I like a big ol' bowl of body armor, because I find it fortifies my skin, and makes me have pleasant hallucinations.
(all drinks restore HP)
milk- BECAUSE IT'S GOOD FOR YOU!
glue from concentrate- because you never wanna loose that stick-to-it-iveness that keeps you fighting
urin- urin has oodles of vitamins that your body didn't need the first time around, but you might need them now! it's steril, so drink up!
water- because it's good to stay hydrated
Snap-e-Tom Tomato and Chile Cocktail- It's so good, I decided to put it in this game idea!
sword- it slices! it dices! it slays those zombies like theres no tomorrow, because, well, there might not be a tomorrow!
swordgun- O. M. Great googledy gosh... A gun... that's also... a sword... Happy

majik items:
The Python- line 1: "import HAXZOMBIE"
hex(adecimal)- ff00ff! Pink majik!
#- IPOUNDYOUFACE!!!!!!1!!!!!11! (strong majik: damage=1/2*(buf+mjk))
Schweppenstien's Currative Citrus Drink- Pure lemon juice mixed with tonic water. This stuff is sure to increase your majikness and strength! Great with gin!
Gin- a Faustian drink; you get some good at the price of more good: drink this and loose 10 aim and get 5 spd and def (bze+1).
Sobriety potion- A majiky glowing gunk that removes drunkeness. Not approved by the FDA, CDC, FBI, CBC, NBC, or any other three-letter acronyms
Pigbelly bread- A majiky compound (derived from the belly of a pig, between twopieces of a bakeddough made of bleached wheat, and a myterious fungus that causes beer to foam) which removes hangover.

###

Good, eh?

When I imagine this game, I think of a sort of top-down L4D2, but without campaines or a storyline beyond "zombies came and are trying to kill us," but somehow, it should be Phoenix's fault, at least partially. I want to see the zombies on the map as walkabouts (except, of course, the grue). I think Fenarir-Lunaris should do battle graphics, as he makes good zombies; I'm not telling him to do it, but it would be great if he were on-board. I want this game to be creepy, funny, intelectual, and it should have big words, like "tetrodotoxin" or "psychotropic paste" (To make a zombie like the Haitian witch doctors do, feed someone the first stuff and burry them, and, later, dig them up and feed them the second thing, made with dartura root. They will be only able to do menial tasks, and will not know where they are or how to escape! WARNING: THIS IS ILLEGAL AND MY RESULT IN DEATH IF DONE WRONG). Also, I want Olaf to speak in rhyming verses of alternating (per line) iambic hexameter and trochaic tetrameter. I don't know why, it would just be funny to have a buff guy only speak in a poetic form. One person per caracter (technically, two per character, because one person will be doing that character's graphics, and the other will be doing text boxes and "personality"). Post with the part(s) you want to do! Remember: nothing can get done, realy, untill graphics are done. Make as many tilesets as you need to make the map(s) you want to do. I'll put it all together (or at least, that which isn't done in the editor)

I'm splitting up the jobs as much as I can, but you can take several if you want. Please reply with your prefered job!

JOBS:
job |who |status
hero graphics |available |N/A
npc graphics |available |N/A
map 1 |available |N/A
map 2 |available |N/A
map 3 |available |N/A
map 4 |available |N/A
map 5 |available |N/A
cave complex |available |N/A
shop/inn map |available |N/A
scripting |available |N/A
hero 1 text |available |N/A
hero 2 text |available |N/A
hero 3 text |available |N/A
hero 4 text |available |N/A
hero 5 text |available |N/A
hero 6 text |available |N/A
vehicle stuff |available |N/A
game specs |AJHunter |100%
music/sounds |available |N/A
assembly |AJHunter |0%
total |N/A |5%

Last edited by AJHunter on Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Baconlabs
PURPLE IS MANLY

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From google:

AJHunter wrote:
Grue (dark; only in caves)- Are these things undead? I'm not sure...

Quote:
Zomborg- (electric)- cyberneticaly reanimated corpse

Quote:
Cultist Zombie- Just plain evil

Quote:

Quote:
Zomboni- a gypsy zombie that gives tons of majik items

Quote:
Shayman- a Polynesian immigrant witch doctor whose exposure to various plants, fungi, and exotic animals has given him a powerfull venom

I think these will help your enemy designer immensely when it comes to brainstorming. (Maybe it'll even be Fenrir, we all know how much he loves zombies. Right?) Have fun with your crazy game, guy!
AJHunter
Probably Naked

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baconlabs wrote:
Quote:

Ha ha ha! Excellent! Now he just needs grey, clammy skin, some blood smears, and some stitches! Ha ha ha!
Spoonweaver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PARTY CHARACTERS:
Jick el Tearer- (dark)- mysterious, remorseful serial killer being haunted by victims
Phoenix- (fire)- Jick's wife, regrets her old life as an evil genetic engineer
Chuck Norris- (light, 'cause he's faster than it)- Chuck Norris ('nuff said), regrets not hiring Phoenix to create a Chuck Norris clone super-army
Posidon- (water)- Greek god of the sea, regrets not allowing Phoenix's hoard of gigantic box jellyfish into the ocean ('cause it was Chuck's idea to put them there)
Olaf- (earth)- Viking berzerker and Phoenix's highschool sweetheart, regrets that last shot...
Zapdos- (electric)- electric legendary bird pokemon, regrets being Phoenix's college sweetheart (I mean, really, her name makes her seem like a legendary bird of some sort, and who knew pokemon could get herpes?)

Chuck norris and zapdos..... truely a force to be reckoned with.
AJHunter
Probably Naked

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you could combine characters, you wouldn't be able to combine Chuck with anyone, because the awesome would cause the computer to asplode.
People need to sign up for stuff... jeeze...
AJHunter
Probably Naked

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 5:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's the official game journal! So, sign up here, and report there! Wink
Camdog

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, there's a reason no one has signed up for this. You're basically asking people to make the game for you. All you're planning on contributing is a half-baked idea that essentially amounts to left 4 dead with some stupid humor mixed in.

The only way people would respond to this is if you have already established yourself as a competent game maker, or have a strong foundation for a game already in place, and only need help with a few specific things.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camdog wrote:
left 4 dead with some stupid humor mixed in

No, that might be a half-decent game (the L4D half, I mean). What he's talking about is a game where you can play as Chuck Norris and Zapdos.

What I really want to know is what this means:

Quote:
speed- spd- 1/2*def
defense- def- 3/4*atk
attack- atk- (4*spd)-(1/4*def)
majik- mjk- 1/3*(atk+def+spd)
strength- buf (like in "buff")- (1/2*atk)+(3/8*def)

I do like that the experience needed to gain a level is a random number that increases the more experience you gain. It's taunting you, the player foolish enough to play this game.

Quote:
experience (exp) to level (lvl) equasion: lvl=(exp^2)-(1/2*(spd+def+buf+mjk))+(bze+hng)*(1/2*X)
X=random number from 1 to 50

PURPLE IS MANLY

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fell off the proverbial boat when I read this.
Creepy Pikachu Man wrote:
Zapdos- (electric)- electric legendary bird pokemon, regrets being Phoenix's college sweetheart (I mean, really, her name makes her seem like a legendary bird of some sort, and who knew pokemon could get herpes?)

STDs don't belong in videogames, ever. Except maybe Trauma Center, but even that's pushing it.
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: A big collaborative zombie game Reply with quote

AJHunter wrote:
I think Fenarir-Lunaris should do battle graphics, as he makes good zombies; I'm not telling him to do it, but it would be great if he were on-board.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to pass on this one. You're free to use the graphics in Vikings of Midgard of course, if you find you have uses for some of them.
Spoonweaver

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll make your game for $50.
AJHunter
Probably Naked

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:28 pm    Post subject: Re: A big collaborative zombie game Reply with quote

Fenrir-Lunaris wrote:
AJHunter wrote:
I think Fenarir-Lunaris should do battle graphics, as he makes good zombies; I'm not telling him to do it, but it would be great if he were on-board.

Sorry, but I'm going to have to pass on this one. You're free to use the graphics in Vikings of Midgard of course, if you find you have uses for some of them.

Yeah, it's ok. Thanks, anyway!

Spoonweaver wrote:
I'll make your game for $50.

If I had $50 dollars, and was really, REALLY lazy, I'd take you up on your offer.

I vollunteer to do the textboxes for Chuck Norris and Zapdos. But I suck at graphics, so I don't think I'll do those.
AJHunter
Probably Naked

PostPosted: Tue Jan 12, 2010 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camdog wrote:
The only way people would respond to this is if you have already established yourself as a competent game maker...

The problem is that I'm an incompetent game maker. As I said, I'm no good a graphics, and I have never been able to learn a programing language other than TIBasic. Oookay...
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're only incompetent if you accept your failure and surrender.

Most nearly everybody starts terrible at graphics and knows nothing about plot-scripting and yet, somehow, people are able to make some decent games around here.
Meatballsub
Divine Bovine

PostPosted: Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TwinHamster wrote:
Most nearly everybody starts terrible at graphics and knows nothing about plot-scripting and yet, somehow, people are able to make some decent games around here.

This is the truth. You are more than obligated to continue it as a collaborative project, but consider this as well.

As TH said, most people start out terrible at graphics and plotscripting. Not one person can be expected from the get-go to be amazing at both, because it's pretty much impossible unless you have some pixel art experience.

Painting a picture and drawing with pixels are two completely different things. I can't paint a picture worth fart, but I think my pixel graphics have come a long way since I started using the OHRRPGCE back pre-2000.

Heck, I learned so much stuff from the demo of The Omega to the final version that it made a world of a difference in the final project.

The point I'm trying to make it this: it's too easy to just say you suck at graphics or scripting, because everyone has been there. It looks lazy.

But, the more you practice, the better you will get, even if you have a long way to go before you can even call your stuff "decent". That is the whole point of making a game in the first place; to have fun as well as improve your skills along the way.

If you simply don't "try", well, then you are taking the whole reason to do it out of the equation. Why bother making it if you have very little to do with it?

But if that is ultimately what you are shooting for, then I guess you have your mind made up already. Just my two cents though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: