Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Two-Handeded+off-hand weapons and Attacks tied to equipment

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RelicMaker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 11:38 am    Post subject: Two-Handeded+off-hand weapons and Attacks tied to equipment Reply with quote

I have two problems right now, but before I get into them let me provide a little backstory.
My game is currently set up to have one weapon equipment slot, one armor equipment slot, one shield slot, one accessory slot and one relic slot.
What I'd like to do is make two-handed weapons that take up both the weapon and shield slots. I'm willing to resort to scripting if need be.

I'd also like to create attacks that characters can only use while a certain item is equipped and that they loose access to when the weapon is unequiped. They would access these attacks through a spell menu called Relic.
For example, if Bob has a pistol equipped, I want him to be able to enter his Relic menu and see Pistol as an attack he can use, but if he equips, say, a flamethrower or shield projector, he loses Pistol but gains the appropriate attack in its place.
Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relics can turn on tags. You can check those tags in attack chains, and have the attacks work differently depending on which relic tags are set.

For two-handed weapons, you should wrap the equip menu in a script.

First the script displays the equip screen.
Second, it checks to see if a two-handed weapon is equipped.
Then it checks to see if a shield is equipped.
If so, the shield will be unequipped by the script, and you could display a text box that says that the shield was unequipped to allow for the weapon.

It is a little crude, but it will work.

You will also need to disable the equip menu from shops, and only allow the equip menu from the main menu, since wrapping a menu item in a script is easy in the main menu, but not possible in shop menus.
RelicMaker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So basically I would use chaining to have it check tags to see which relic is equiped (determined having a tag for each relic), and chain to the appropriate attack, right?
So I make an attack called Relic that always hits, deals no damage and has the Store Target bit on so the next attack will try to hit that target. In the Normal slot I set it to chain to Pistol if tag7(pistol equipped)=on. In Else, I set it to chain to Flamer if tag8(flamer equipped)=on, and in Instead I set chain to Barrier if tag9(barrierequipped)=on. Am I understanding you correctly so far?
Wouldn't that limit me to just three relics, or am I missing something?
RelicMaker

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I supopose I could create a different attack to chain to others for ever 2 relio items. then it would look like...
Norma Chain
100% Pistol
If tag7(pistolequipped)=on

Else Chain
100%
Flamer
if tag8(flamerequipped)=on

Instead Chain
100%
Relic set 2

RELIC SET 2
(copy of Relic)
Normal Chain
100%
Barrier
if tag9(barrierequipped)=on

But there has to be some more efficient way to do that.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2013 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the regular chain and the else chain work like you think they do.

The instead chain is different.

If the conditions are met for the instead chain, then the original attack never happens, and it is completely replaced by the instead chain.

You can chain together any number of instead chains.
RelicMaker

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, basically as long as the chain target is set to Relic2 and the chance is 100% then, provided neither the Pistol nor Flamer are equipped, itll attempt Relic2 and look for those tag, and if their not on it can go to Relic3, etc.
Cool. Thats nice to know about Instead, maybe I can use that for special attacks for bosses.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 26, 2013 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly, doing two handed stuff and dual wielding with plotscripting is very ugly and not very user friendly. Something fundamental like this would be better off hard-coded into the OHRRPGCE imo.
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
RelicMaker

PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well what I imagin is equipping a 2hander would bring up a decision-enabled dialogue box.
"Equipping this weapon will use your offhand slot, too. Equip it anyway?"
If yes, offhand slot is removed and replaced with a placeholder connected to the weapon (maybe just "2hand" or maybe a copy of the weapon's name), and equipping anything to that slot will automatically unequip the main weapon.

Maybe I actually make an item called "2hand" equipable in the offslot and just have the player start with a ton of them? And it grants a bonus equal to 1.5x the main weapon? That would enable players to use both hands with a one-handed weapon for a bit more power, but 2handers would still hit harder simply because they provide a greater bonus to attack. Is there a script to grant a percentage like that as a stat bonus?

But then I would need to prevent a player from equipping a shield or offhand weapon while a 2hander is equipped. Forceequip 2hands is easy enough. But is there a script to prevent an equipment slot from being changed?

You may be right, Rya.Reisender. Using that method for 2handers would be awkward to script and I dont much like the idea of placing this odd item called "2hands" in the player's inventory. Bow is easy enough, they require an Arrow item to be equipped in the offhand and if there isnt one they chain to no damage attack that just displays the caption "No arrows!" That WOULD make spears and the like unuseable "or slightly unrealistic" but thats easily enough explained by just saying none of the characters were ever trained to use a spear.
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah games like that already exist, where you equip a weapon and when you close the equip menu there will be a popup telling you that your shield was removed. But it's annoying because it doesn't happen immediately but rather on menu exit.

What you described isn't really dual-equipping. Might as well make shields that increase attack power, same result.

Though you COULD work with the hits stat. Like, you make a "2hand" item and the only thing it does is increasing the Hits stat by 1. And then you just need to be careful when designing skills to use the bitset for considering the hits stat properly.

Also check out this thread for ideas: http://www.castleparadox.com/ohr/viewtopic.php?t=7428
1. short-tempered, snappish, 2. unduly brief or curt (Merriam-Webster Dictionary)
RelicMaker

PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually made that thread. I didnt have reliable internet access till recently and so I hadnt made a username. I made that one at the library: I was in a bit of a rush and couldnt remember the name I had been using so I made one up ^.^'

Regarding the linked skills idea I was hoping to have every weapon in the gamed not tagged as two-handed be equipable in the off-hand as well as the weapon slot. But if thats impossible, it is what it is.

As for your suggestion of working with the hits stat, thats what I was referencing in the other thread when I said +1 combo.

The 2hand item wasnt for dual-wielding, it was for taking up the shield slot when a two-handed weapon is equipped or to represent swinging a one-handed weapon with both hands. Sort of the way Final Fantasy 3(? I'm not exactly sure which one it was) had the option to forgo a shield and use a weapon in two hands for more damage.

I may be better off leaving both features out, at least for now.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Rya.Reisender
Snippy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, yeah you are right, I mixed up dual wielding and two-handed weapons.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum