Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Battle timer problem & question about scripts for battle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Enk

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Battle timer problem & question about scripts for battle Reply with quote

It's been quite some time since I last worked with OHRRPGCE, not since 2005 but even then I didn't touch much of the new features as I was trying to update an old game. My headspace was still in the 1999 OHR mindset and was amazed by how far this engine has grown since then (SCRIPTING! INCREASED EVERYTHING!).

For the past month I've been building up something from scratch. Not a big project as I don't want to spend all year on this, and everything is being thoroughly backed up in case of a computer crash (those familiar with me know my luck when trying to finish a "certain" game only to lose my work). I've been kind of experimenting with some ideas and one of those ideas has become the central crux of the game and requires the constant use of timers (you'll understand why once I start showing bits of the game hopefully later this month).

The problem I'm having is that the timer needs to stay running throughout both the maps and with battles. While I have all the timers running as they should I noticed that the timer string stays on screen during the battle and I can't find any way to hide it. I've been scouring and experimenting through the all the plotscripting commands but came up with nothing. The only thing I could think of is actually editing OHRRPGCE itself, but that could take a bit of time since I'm not that familiar with BASIC.

Is there something I'm missing here? Is there not a way to hide the timer string during battle?

Also question about getting a script running during a battle. I take it when it comes to battles, scripts are closed off. I was wanting to switch a background image during the course of a battle after something was triggered but couldn't find a way to do it. I eventually found a bit of a trick to accomplish a similar effect, but it's less than ideal.

So am I right in thinking that battles are completely closed off to triggering scripts?

Anyways there's my two questions. I'm glad to see this community still running after all these years and look forward to (fingers crossed) showing what I've been dabbling on this year!
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Enk!

I just checked the code, and it looks like no, there is not currently a way to disable timer display in battle -- however, I could add something like that rather easily if your game needs it.

Scripting is not possible inside battles. We hope to make that possible someday in the future, but at our current slow pace of development, don't expect it to happen for a few more years.

I am looking forward to seeing more of your new game :)

EDIT: I just added an option for it. If you are using the latest nightly build, you can go to "Edit General Game Data" -> "Preference Bitsets" and look for "Never show script timer during battles"
Enk

PostPosted: Fri Mar 18, 2016 8:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fantastic! Looking forward to removing that timer when I get home tonight! Shame about the battle scripting, but again I found a workaround for what I was hoping to achieve so I should be good for now.

Great thanks, Lord Hamster!
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

I'm curious, what game(s) did you release way back in the day? Your name is vaguely familiar, but I don't have a good knowledge of OHR games from 15+ years ago.
Enk

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi TMC!

I did the Evil Dead series: Evil Dead:Weird, Evil Dead:Timeline Take 1 & 2. These were released back in 1999 I believe. I was going under AshRaimi at the time.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2016 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, right! I should just have looked at your previous posts on this forum. You showed off some really nice looking stuff. In that case, I know that I can look forward to whatever you're working on! Did you ever release EG? It's absolutely impossible to do a web search for; if you ever release it I think it needs a rename.

"at our current slow pace of development, don't expect it to happen for a few more years" is the realistic answer. But idealistically, I was hoping to get to battlescripting soon rather than later. There's different types of battlescripting, for example the ability to script custom attack animations, or trigger attacks and effects, or calculate damage for an attack, or just running in the background using existing commands (like "set formation background"). Some of those are easier than others to add, so I'm optimistic that we will start soon.

It would also be some other workaround, like a tag condition to select the battle background.
Enk

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EG has been on a bit of a hiatus for several reasons. I spent a long time working on it and got stuck on designing a level for some time. During the course of that I got laid off of my job which took a lot of steam out of me. While I was looking for a job I took a bit of a break and dabbled a bit in learning 3D game development. When I was doing that, Microsoft dropped support for XNA and the last update messed with a few things I had with EG.

So while EG was sitting in limbo I began building a new 2D engine with Unity in which I can use for future projects. The plan is to eventually do the long process of porting everything from my XNA build over to Unity so people can get a chance to play with what I had. In the meantime I've been dying to work on a smaller, more contained type of game, and also do it on a pre-made engine so I can ease up on the constant scripting that I was doing. I should be able to show some of that later this week. :-)

Shame that battle scripting may take a long to implement, but in a way it will help me limit what I want to and not get too out of control. Even then just knowing that I have little control of changing something like a backdrop or a character animation set during the course of the battle would open up a whole slew of new possibilities.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's too bad, but I guess the good news is that at least the project isn't dead as I had feared.

I didn't realise that XNA was dead. I never really looked into it. I see that the xbox one is backcompatible with the xbox 360, so can't you still play XNA games on it? Do you know what's the simplest way to port to Xbox, other than using Unity?

Heh, I've definitely experienced, a few times, the desire for premade engine after spending a while writing a game from scratch. Looking forward to your sneak peek!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> HELP! All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
You can post new topics in this forum
You can reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum