Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Quest II: Rerelease

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Plup & Monheart
Best Friends

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2004 10:55 pm    Post subject: Quest II: Rerelease Reply with quote

A few of you might remember a small game from somewhat long ago called Quest II. It was a game by the designer, Plup. Plup and Monheart have always been good friends, and taking advice from the OHR community; Monheart offered to help Plup in some details in the game. The results are outstanding. Most of the graphics have had a huge overhaul, and are a great benifit in looks and style. Monheart tapped into some of his plotscripting magic, and vola! Many new features, and much more interactive story. We both beleive heavily that Quest II deserves a re-run, and we don't think that anyone will be disappointed. Even though the story hasn't progressed very far since its first release, there has been so many new additions to the game, it would nearly be a crime to pass it up. We both REALLY hope that everyone enjoys the game, and we hope to continue to work together and finish it.

Quest II has been added to the gamelist, take a look. What?!?!

P.S. This is NOT Monheart's new idea. But it still is a darn good one.
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if it's just me, but the beginning of the game seems to be impossible. The forest has no orientation at all. As in, no where to go. You should check that out real quick. Unless... that is the game?
T-Master

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No RedMaverickZero...

That is the random passability these fine game designers had the foresight to put in the forest. You see, you have to wander around and push against every tree to see if you can walk through it or not. I think it was supposed to be a puzzle or something.

Quote:
it would nearly be a crime to pass it up.

Isn't it the other way around? Weep for CN everyone.
Monheart

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there is a way around. There is no random pasability, and you don't need to push against every tree. You just have to have a sharp eye to tell which trees are passable or not.

note: In fact, when I first played it, before it was first released, there was no way to tell at all where to go in that forest. I got so fustrated, I opened it up in custom to find the pasabilities. Ever since then, I've required Plup to leave graphical clues in the trees. Even now it causes me some trouble, but it's not that difficult as long as you know what to look for. Don't worry, none of the rest of the game is like this.
Monheart

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's wrong here? there have been at LEAST 7 downloads, and only 2 replys? Is this game that we worked and slaved over REALLY not THAT good? Or is this just the result of an oblivious community? Cool Don't you go harping on me about reviving an old thread. As far as I can tell, the only threads that really have been used anyway are contests. I want this staight out, and I want this soon. WHAT do you ALL think? Call me rude, but I don't think it's very fun to pace around the house for an entire week waiting for any one decent responce, and never hearing it.
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Calm down there, Mon.

Alright, from what I played.

1. The whole "some trees are passable" while others aren't is the saddest attempt at gameplay I've ever had to muddle through. Map design is terrible too. Maybe in your world there are squiggly bridges to get around very small lakes, but it seems stupid to me. What kind of forest only consists of very small bushes?

2. The plot is terrible. Maybe I missed it, but I see no reason for Kain to slaughter the entire orc race for his stupid necklace. By the way, you could replace necklace with crystal/magic stone/princess to get the same boring plot. Rescuing X doesn't make for an engaging story.

3. The battles are only barely decent. Being stopped every few steps in a random battle with several goblins and then being led to a village of them just makes the player feel like the bad guy, or at least very stupid.

So basically, from what I played, it seems like a fairly typical OHR RPG, with nothing that makes it stand out from the crowd. Happy now?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Monheart

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm... "alright, calm down, I'll cheer your up by bombarding your efforts and poisoning your fruits of labor."

You really have a nice way with dealing with people. Consiter yourself, lucky, I did write about a 3 page long hate filled letter to post, fortunately for you there was an error when I tried to post it and It got erased. So I'll just try to sum it up without so much of the insults.

First off, your reveiw does not cut it. I've implimented way too many obvious features into that game that you never found, or even at least let on you've found. That tells me that your reveiw lacked any sort of enthusiasm to learn about the game, or it's features. I never said the game was perfect. I said it was better then before. This RE-release was meant for comparasment.

Secondly, this game was a joint effort, so adress it that way. The game's downfalls aren't to be blamed solely on me.

Lastly, the game is not a playstation 2 wonder godly game, so don't judge it as so. Being a vetran to the OHR (which, I know you are, I'm sure you've been around longer then I have.) You should expect that no game is perfect. No game can push beyond the limits of the OHR, so you shouldn't make reviews expecting them to. When I asked for the game to be juded, I asked it to be judged as an OHR game. When compared to other OHR games, Quest II really does have alot to offer. If an OHR game isn't enough for you, then you shouldn't be here. Go out and get the newest next generation super game counsel. Just don't expect the same quality here.
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you're chosen to ignore my criticism instead of attempting to improve your game, I suppose I should link you to a game that beats the crap out of your rather sorry effort in every way.

http://www.castleparadox.com/forum/gamelist-display.php?game=244

It's games like Cescent Dream that make me love OHR and its games, not pathetic trash-fests like Quest 2 that embarrass themselves when their authors defend the game's faults. Sorry if you were looking for sweet lies that I loved your game, Mon, but I gave you exactly what you asked for, comments about your game.

PS- Mon, when you're so angry you can't even spell simple words, can I suggest you wait a day or so before you reply? Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
T-Master

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You really have a nice way with dealing with people.

I agree. He doesn't lie and beat around the bush.

Quote:
This RE-release was meant for comparasment.

It would not be fair to review a game in such a manner. For example, if Ryan Simonetta RE-released Magnus, I would not play it just because it was better than its predecessor. Indeed, RE-releasing Magnus with nothing more but a few spelling fixes would effectively make it "better". This is the same way I feel about this game. I have never played the original, nor do I care to, because if I didn't like the RE-release, I can only assume that the original was far worse.

Quote:
When compared to other OHR games, Quest II really does have alot to offer.

I challenge you to provide examples of this.
Monheart

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so sue me. I boasted a little. But you really can't blame me. I've spent way too many hours tweaking that game and I really thought it was turning out pretty good. It's increadably discuraging when you work so hard on something only to see it struck down as such. I personally believe that not enough consiteration was taken into this game, but I can't change your minds about it. But if you really don't like this game that much, then go ahead, and delete it. delete this post, or whom ever has the authority, delete the game. obviously it's not worth keeping.

I also noticed that no one whom has originally played the game has responded to this thread. Beleive it or not, but Quest II really had alot of good things said about it in it's first release. If Zant was still up, you could have gone back and checked it. In fact, I rarely see anyone I recignize anymore, and with a community like this, no wonder. As for plup and I, I believe we are done. Good ridince to bad rubbish.
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Jazz_Man

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OHRRPGCE.com is where all those who feel they've been ousted by this community go, so, have fun.

And, anyways, what'd you expect, monheart? You made a game, congratulations. That's all the congratulations you have entitled to you. The fact you've remade an "old favorite", or whatever, doesn't guarentee you instant praise, and it's absurd to think as such. If you wanted a sunshine enema, you've come to the wrong place, obviously, and it only makes yourself look foolish by insulting people that don't like your game. You wanted honest criticism, and then got pissy when people gave it to you. Sure, it's ok to be annoyed with it, but you had it coming to you.

Stop being a fyrewulff, get over it, improve your game, and shut up.
T-Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I post my scripts at OHRRPGCE.com you losers, Sad...
Hunter Green
About to beat this double head with a pipe

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that's your problem.
The last guy on earth...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monheart, i think it's good to be proud of your game and all... but being arrogant about it, is annoying.
critism is critism, don't critisize back or fire back at the person, just because they didn't like some aspects of the game doesn't mean it's the end of the world.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: