Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Preserve OHR History!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:14 pm    Post subject: Preserve OHR History! Reply with quote

Yes, it's me again. For those of you who don't know me, I don't post here (or do anything OHR-game-design related), but I still come here every once in a while to catch up on things. Just today, I saw a post that led me to both shock and dismay.
Moogle1 wrote:
Evil Dead: Timeline is my pick here. (Good luck finding it anymore. I may have a copy.)

After a minute, I thought "Evil Dead: Timeline? Hey, I remember that game! ...why can't I find it?" Because it no longer exists. Well, at least one of you probably still has a copy (Moogle1 said he might too), but that's not the point. The internet is slowly destroying ancient (in technoyears) sites, many of which once contained OHR games. Eventually, we're going to have lost a good chunk of OHR history.

Many of you probably cannot think of a world where children grow up without ever knowing the joys of playing through Magnus. That wonderful piece of OHR history has been preserved, but there are many others that are eventually going to disappear. The Operation: OHR archives are still up, but even with that extensive gamelist and the one here, many are missing.

With the aid of a pre-OHR-deleting backup disc of my hard drive (and, to some extent, this awful, awful site that I regret making to this very day), I'm looking through a bunch of ancient .rpg files for ones we don't have up anywhere else. After I get everything organized and test it against the archives here and the archives at Operation: OHR (probably Saturday), I'll post what I've found here (even if it's only a few games) and ask if anyone else has any other games that can't be found anywhere else.

So, in the meantime, do not clean any old games you don't play anymore off of your hard drives. Don't let OHR history be lost in the digital rift!

Last edited by Blazes Battles Inc. on Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
Squall
is fantastic

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sort of on this topic. A long time ago, I played this pokemon OHR game that was actually pretty good. Since then, I have been unable to find it anywhere. If anyone knows what I'm talking about or has it, then if you could upload it to the gamelist (or at least send it to me) that'd be great.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

(Unfortunately) I don't have any Pokemon game, either on my hard drive or the site (to my knowledge, anyway; I haven't downloaded all of those yet, but just going by the names).
Rinku

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 3:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually evildead timeline (well, the "weird" special edition of it) is up on castle paradox. it's just not on the game list.

http://rinku.castleparadox.com/Ohrhits/
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rinku, did you upload a few more? Because I count 3 more in there than I had downloaded.
AdrianX
..yeah.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 4:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

..wow,thanks,rinku!i have always wanted to find and play OHR classics!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rinku I have nothing against you helping with the preservation of the older OHR classics but it kind of makes it less special that you gave'em out as a prize for Human Day (Speaking of which, hurry up and announce a winner!).

Still though, good show old bean! The games on that OHRHITS list are (Mostly) must plays.

http://www.castleparadox.com/forum/gamelist-display.php?game=620
Tsunamidog
banned...but not really.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like Adrian, I've always wanted to play the classic OHR hits! But I think someone should update it and put some of the newer OHR games that are still classic and fun.

The Above Statement Is False
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Thu Jan 13, 2005 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, cool! Thanks, Rinku! I haven't even played a few of these before (or at least, I don't remember their names at this point). Well, if we have all those, it changes what I'll need to find a lot, and maybe we should name this little idea "Project: Bad Example." Because, seriously, even with possibility of some good (though not classic) OHR games being unavailable right now, most of what I find is going to be crap that can only serve as a bad example to new users. Anyway, I'll keep looking for games not listed on either gamelist or the OHR Hit List (no pun intended), and I still plan to be done sometime tomorrow.

Most of what I find will undoubtably be very poorly made, but hey, so what? It wouldn't be an open game-design community if it wasn't for the poor designers. Anyway, when I post what I've found, in the unlikely event that someone who made one of the games reads it and would not like the game to resurface, just tell me. I'd be more than glad for The Quest of Cheese Penguin to get a shot right between the proverbial eyes, never to be played again. On the other hand, who am I to deny seizure-inducing graphics and design to a willing player? So anyway, I'll post back once I'm done.

EDIT: I would like to deeply apologize to any readers of this post (and their families) for using the word 'anyway' so many times.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have plenty of more current crap. We don't need the old crap.

Those games are good games, though. We don't need or want to preserve the bad.
Brunettes have more hair

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who was talking about preserving the bad? Who preserves really bad games anyway?
Uncommon
His legend will never die

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen, dear, it's usually a good idea to read what everyone is saying before just deciding to misunderstand what they're talking about.
See, Blazes Battles Inc. has said twice that he's wanting to preseve bad games.

Also, while we're at it, didn't Blazes take some heat for hosting games without the author's permission in the past? It's really the author's right to decide where his/her game is posted, and don't give me any "it's better to ask forgiveness than ask permission!"
So, before you jump into this, you ought to make inquiries to find out if these people even want their games posted.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! Oh, by the way Squall, I have a copy of the Pokemon OHR game, next time you're on AIM be sure to remind me to give it to you. I don't neccesarily know if it's the right one, but it's fairly old, and was half decent.
JSH357

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a shame MCW and I's Pokémon game never took off. It was better than that one. I don't even have a copy of it now.

As for the issue of archiving crap, I say we SHOULD archive crappy games. If players see the crap of the past, they can potentially avoid making crap of the future.
RedMaverickZero
Three pointed, red disaster!

PostPosted: Fri Jan 14, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JSH, the copy I have is the one you and Wiz were working on. I didn't know there was another Pokemon game for OHR. If you want it, I'll send it via AIM.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: