Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Bastard.GUNS Transylvania
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Sun May 08, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Bastard.GUNS Transylvania Reply with quote

Okay if this game doesn't get a review within the next few days, I don't see a reason to keep posting my games on this site. I'm working on a sequel to the game for my own sake, I post my games here to get feedback and intelligent discussion on my games and other people's games. I get neither. Somebody prove to me that Castle Paradox has an excuse to exist or I'm leaving.

http://www.castleparadox.com/forum/gamelist-display.php?game=620
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gilbert, no reviews for your game are in the review waiting box. But PHC, I just put your review up. There was some weird error in the review list that said your review was for a deleted game, and couldn't be accessed. When I checked today it let me check it over and accept it.

See, this is one of the problems of IM's little joke, we've had nearly no reviews for the better part of a month because everyone thought the site was going down. Hopefully they'll pick back up soon.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oy. It's not that I'm bitter, it's just that what good is an OHR site if everyone ignores the OHR related content on it?

Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reviewing seems to be broken, as we now have yet another review that was combined with a Janken-Janken review and does not appear on the new review list.

More on topic, I still need to play Transylvania, so I may do that soon and try reviewing it.
The Wobbler

PostPosted: Mon May 09, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Rinku

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dislike the idea that reviews have to be officially approved. why can't each game just have its own message thread, and anyone can post whatever they want to it, and that as a whole is its review?
Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My big problem is that hardly anybody on CP is really an OHRer anymore. If CP wants to drop the OHR content, fine, but doing it half assed is just guaranteeing disappointment. Perhaps we should just post new game releases on the OHR Community LJ and have people post reviews in the comments?

Rinku

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the lj ohr community has about 10x fewer memebers than cp does. of course, those that are serious about the ohr tend to also belong to the ohrrpgce lj community, so maybe that 10x fewer fact doesn't matter. but it is harder to browse lj archives than a review list.

anyway, just give it time. you can't expect everyone to jump to play a new release the week it's released. people have their own busy schedules. even i, who love all great free games, waited a month or two after orchard-l recommnded cave story to me before playing it. also, i'm really really really looking forward to soj2, but my time schedule is such that when soj2 is released, i probably won't play it as soon as i download it, but put it hold for some time until i get ahead on my zfrt schedule.

let me tell you another related story. there was once (still is?) an ohr user named monheart. he released a game called the cat's meow, or somesuch name. it was a pretty good game, possibly the best game of the season it was released in. but he released it, and then got crazily upset that no one was playing it or talking about it. he did in fact get a few complementary comments, but he felt *betrayed* that people weren't dancing in the streets about his new game, and that the community wasn't radically changed by it but just seemed to be going on much as it had before.

so i think people tend to have too high expectations about the feedback their game will get, and how fast they'll get it. games do get feedback, but they require time to sink in and get an audience. even and& had nothing good said about it in the entire first year of its release except by a couple of my friends who would play anything i make anyway. it was only until a few years later that people started calling it their favorite game, or the perfect ohr game, and one person said it was the game that caused him to want to make ohr games.

the bottom line is: great games will get respect. they just won't get immediate respect: it may take a few years, or even longer. and they don't get dancing in the streets praising the creator to high heavens while dressing up as characters in it respect, except from crazies (and who wants that?).

think of how many world-famous works of art were only published post-humously.
Camdog

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why would anyone not active with the OHR be on CP anyway? I still feel like the vast majority of the discussion in OHR related. I just think we're in the downswing of a cycle. Things will pick up again, they always do. And I'm playing through Bastard.GUNS Transylvania right now. Just haven't beaten it yet.

While you're waiting for people to play your game, you could, you know, feel free to play through Bliss. Or whatever...

Last edited by Camdog on Thu May 12, 2005 10:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Rinku

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a good point. too many people who complain 'the ohr community doesn't focus on ohr games anymore!' don't themselves play new ohr games that are released; they just assume all the new releases are worthless.
Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transylvania was released seven or eight months ago! The download count has maybe gone up by three since its initial release and one of those DLs was me getting it for research for the sequel.

I remember that Monheart guy, Cat's Meow wasn't bad. I tend to guess by title whether I should DL a game. Cat's Meow was surrounded by terrible games about cats and dogs and crabs and such, by title alone I assumed CM was another of those until someone said on Zant it was good. MY game on the other hand has Transylvania, guns and a cuss word in the title!

Anyway, like I said, I'm not bitter that nobody's paying attention to me, just that 90% of CP members have never even downloaded the engine. On Operation OHR if you submitted a game for review, you could almost guarantee getting a review. Of course here ALL games are submitted for review, which is kind of retarded, but still, I'd guess the number of reviews per month is lower here.

Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS, I really liked Bliss, but the review that was already up said everything about it that I wanted to say.

Camdog

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heh, thanks. I wasn't trying to imply that you were slacking off in the playing games department, I just figured as long as we were talking about playing games, I might as well plug mine since it's fallen off the radar for a while. (Although another positive review could always pad the game's score...)

But, back on topic, is it really true that most people on CP haven't even downloaded the engine? That just strikes me as really weird. What's the point of being here if you don't even play OHR games? Anyone care to comment? What brought you here if not the OHR?
Rolling Stone
Bastard Gunslinger

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume they join because they have a friend who uses the engine and nothing better to do but clutter up the forum.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Arcade All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: