Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Site Launch
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:10 pm    Post subject: Site Launch Reply with quote

It's been a while since the initial announcement of a site redesign. Cube, Squall, and I have been working hard to get a site release we're happy with. This release is by no means finished. Everything release is working, as far as our testing goes. Please let us know if you run into any problems when using the new system.

The site layout and graphics were done by SilentAngel. Velduanga kindly revamped Meteor.

Much thanks goes out to Jabbercat, TMC, Linkmax, Fenrir, Heat, and Sew for helping test the layout and features.

Some pages, such as the Staff Bios, need updating. Also, please check out the new Terms of Service.

Feel free to list off the suggestions. I'm looking forward to hearing what you think.

Let's start with new features and known issues/quirks:

Journals
Features:

• Ever Game and every User has a journal

• Self Moderated

• Public and Private Posting via Friends List

• Watched Journals

• Only the user can make threads in his journal and other users can reply based on Journal Settings. Users can post to games based on Journal Settings

Quirks:

• Can't watch game journals yet

• Cant request addition to the buddy list yet

• Cookie Settings are a little funny. It doesn't remove the "new posts" icon correctly. It'll remove it, then reset when you view a different journal. Working out the cookie on this.

• Journal Settings are excessive. Some options aren't needed, but weren't deleted in case I decided to include them again. I suggest using the Simple Mode for now

Public Journals are open to everyone, anonymous included
    Registered requires login to post, but anyone can view
    Registered Hidden requires login to post and view
    Private requires the user to be on your Buddy List in order to post, anyone can view
    Private Hidden requires the user be on your Buddy List to post and view

The rest are not used and will make your Journals completely private. You'll be the only one able to see and post in them. They're left for possible advancements in the Game Journals

• The Confirmation window when adding to the buddy list isn't appealing and needs to be closed when "OK" is checked. It currently loads the index after you press OK and it does not refresh the page

• Some images have not been ported to the new set created by SA. It'll happen within the week, but it's not pressing enough to hold back the release any longer

• Same goes for the confirmation pages which show the forum layout before sending you back to the journal

• Journal Moderation works when deleting posts. Slight bug when trying to moderate a topic/journal. I'm debugging this, so bear with me. This includes locking and deleting entire threads. Moving will not be supported and I'm still debating over splitting or not.

Gamelist and Reviews

• You won't notice anything new yet....quite a few improvements have been written in, but are not ready for release.

Song List

• 5 supported filetypes: .wav, .bam, .mp3, .mid, and .ogg

• User Ratings (one of the features added to Games and Reviews that's not yet released)

Quirks

• Ratings changes *might* be blocked by a pop-up blocker. If they do, please tell me. I haven't had any problems yet

• The description page for songs hasn't been added yet. You can add a description when uploading the songs, but it won't be seen until I make the layout

Calendar

• Fully functional, feel free to add dates

• Multiple categories

Quirks

• Buddies Only doesn't do anything yet

• Color scheme needs work. Will eventually be a section in your profile to change colors

• More functionality is planned. This is really just the base and we're hoping for user input

Last edited by Inferior Minion on Mon Nov 21, 2005 5:39 pm; edited 5 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Squall
is fantastic

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's right, IM. (turns to camera) And, if you call within the next 5 minutes, you'll get a brand new Articles section! The old articles section was mostly lame and useless, but I'm working on bringing in all the old articles that were written for the various OHR magazines into one section so people can actually read them easily. Not all of them are up yet, and only half of Rinku's MASSIVE Making a Game article is up, but I hope we can start getting some use out of the articles section from now on.

Of course, you can still submit articles to be put up.

All the articles from Reasonably Septaweekly that were not written by Rinku haven't been authorized by their respective authors yet to be brought over here. If you've written one of them, and would like to have it brought over here, please send me a PM. If not, I'll just link directly to the Septaweekly page.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Eggie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very snazzy. I give it a 8.5 / 10.

The colours are very easy on the eyes, but it would be nice to have the forums looking the same as well.
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Working on that, Eggie. Redesigning the forum layout to fit between 430 pixels is a bit tougher than I thought it would be. I'm aiming to get those side menus on every page.
Village Idiot

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. It seems you have all baes covered as far as rules are concerned. While I think Isp alerts are taking things a bit far in most cases, I admit that there are certain situations where it is neccessary. Lets hope it never gets used.

Overall, Very good. The colours work well and having the post and review counts at the top of the main page makes the whole thing look professional. Looking forward to it's completion.
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is all pretty cool, but reviews are broken. When I read a review in the new site (this doesn't happen if I access it from the forum page) the text is all in the wrong places. Like the text for the graphics section is listed under enjoyment, and the text for storyline is listed under balance.

Will the site's skin be customizeable? The new one looks alright but I personally prefer something with a lighter background, like subsilver has.
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah....working that out right now. It's a numbering issue on my part. The review itself is perfectly fine, just mapped wrong. That'll be working in half an hour, at most.

Skinning is definitely a goal. I'm trying to learn CSS and will eventually replace all the HTML. Once that's done, is just a matter of different .css sheets and image folders.
Bloody Angel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uploaded all of my songs and noticed that I can't edit them. Furthermore, there seems to be a bug where someone else's uploaded song ended up in one of mine. "Skirmish" has an MP3 selection that seems to be someone else practicing a familiar tune on his guitar.
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry St. Ajora. That'd be my test files. Didn't clear the files when I cleared the database.

I'll look into the song editing. Does it give you an error or does it just not work?

Reviews are working correctly now.
Come back, baby!
The Breastmaster

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey im and the others, great work. i love how the site looks, but the only problem i have is with the colors... but you have it under control!

good stuff, glad it got out.
St. Ajora
Bloody Angel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There doesn't seem to be any option to edit the songs. No link shows up. I can click on the images labeled MIDI and MP3, but these take me back to the main page.

If it helps, these links are supposed to go to preview.php. I imagine that it's generating an error and auto-redirecting to the main page.

The links don't contain the song number. This may be the problem. They all go to the same url:

http://castleparadox.com/preview.php?song=&ext=mid
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops. I had commented that out because I use the same template for Song Editing and the Song List. There is no Song Display page yet, so I removed the link. This also removed the link for Song Editing, which I had tested months earlier. It should be working now.
Bloody Angel

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh... okay. Now it has a song number in the URL, but it still takes me to the main page, index.php. The problem is probably in preview.php.

Wait, never mind. There's an editing link. It's just that it still looks like you should be able to download the songs on that menu and you can't.
Slime
Objection!!!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VERY VERY NICE!

Good job! I actually thought I had clicked on the wrong page when I entered......

But, yeah, nice job!
Gizmog1
Don't Lurk In The Bushes!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 29, 2005 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In terms of the journals, what exactly does "Self-Moderating" mean, and how does it relate to the terms of service? Meaning of course, would one be allowed to post things of a sexual nature in his journal?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: