Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

What do you put in your heroes?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  

What attributes does your game heroes have?
Bad attitude
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Mister Nice Guy
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Evil attitude
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Pathetic attitude
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Full of Revenge
25%
 25%  [ 1 ]
Doesn't play by the rules
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Weak
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 4

RPGrealm5
Sir, the Goombas are dancing again!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:50 pm    Post subject: What do you put in your heroes? Reply with quote

Hey. I'm working on a game for OHR, but I was just curious to hear what other game makers put into their heroes. What kind of personality do you give your characters, or villans?

It just interesting, if you would, send in a vote in the poll. If there's an attribute missing, then tell me and I'll add it on.

Thanks
Aethereal
SHUT UP.
Elite Designer
Elite Designer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about none of those attributes? I don't use typical/overused attributes, I think up more unique ones. As a side note, you cannot feasibly create a poll like this, as there are infinite possibilities for attributes/personalities of a character.
Sir, the Goombas are dancing again!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that was a great point. I like to make my characters unique as well. I was just wondering what attributes people usually lean towards. Whether it being the character is out for revenge against someone who betrayed him/her. That character's attitude would most likely be mysterious and angry a lot. That makes sense, doesn't it?
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. Maybe the person always seems happy to hide his/her inner pain. Maybe the person is a strong, silent type. You can't define an entire personality by one point in a person's life, different people act differently.
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
No. Maybe the person always seems happy to hide his/her inner pain.

Inner pain is always good. I like to make my heroes (and villians for that matter) *Eva-style, meaning they are REALLY screwed up. I think a character is way more interesting if they have flaws. Real traumatic flaws.

*In case by some unholy miracle someone in here doesn't know what Eva is, it's an anime, full title is Neon Genesis Evangelion. The characters are really messed up people.

EDIT: uh, why is this in story time?
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's about characters. Seems to fit in well enough. And it's kind of odd to make all of the characters messed up, especially because it's unbelievable unlikely they all would be. And inner pain is not always good... it serves to move a story along, but is only a component of one. If everyone had some soul-crushing inner pain from a past traumatic event, the story won't be able to hold very many people. It's just depressing, and there are too many people depressed these days anyway...
Iblis
Ghost Cat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, I thought Story time was just for posting stories. Oh well, doesn't really matter.

And I wouldn't make all the heros messed up. Definitely the main character, and probably a few of the other characters. I don't really buy the unlikely argument though. Imagination isn't about probability, but possibility (or impossibility, depending on the subject). And these are people on a quest to save the world from all consuming evil (well, usually). That's gotta cause some emotional scars.

I also like to steer clear of having these altruistic noble good guy figures. It's been done, and it was boring the first time.
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify...Storytime is not only for stories, but for all story elements...
Music Composer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's one simple easy solution to creating the perfect characters:

Look at yourself. Look at other people. The best way to create your characters is to mold them as though they were real people, with strengths and weaknesses alike. Also, set up your dialogue to whatever you think that person would realistically say. Don't do that crappy thing I see in a lot of older OHR games (and some new ones) where every character is the tough soldier "I'ma gonna kick your butt if you cross me" type, `cause that's too far fetched to be believable.

In acting, you have to act like you're not acting, and thus with characters, you make them as though they're not characters, but living breathing people. Want a good example of that, play Grandia, Lunar, Hoshima, or Neo Krysta III.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can't have everyone normal. I mean, if the villain is trying to destroy the world, he can't be THAT normal. And the good, noble type is actually still a very good character type, so long as you don't overdo it. You make it realistic (not like the mindless heroic drones from old video games) and it'll work, because it's believable. Also, a traumatic event doesn't mean the character will get messed up. When my grandmother died, I was sad for a long time, but I didn't actually change that much afterwards. Likeliness also IS a part of stories. If someone's family's been murdered, and they've had both their hands cut off, it's incredibly unlikely that they'll have forgotten by the next day (unless they hit their head and got anmesia or something). If I was reading a book with a bunch of people forgetting really important things that happened hours ago (and I'd have) I'll put the book away and never finish reading it, because it's just that stupid.
PIcaRDMPC

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blazes Battles Inc. wrote:
It's just depressing, and there are too many people depressed these days anyway...

Which is exactly why I'd think that it would be believable.
But I also agree with Setu; real people characters are what I try to go after. I'm certainly going to have a time with it in the isometric game I'm working on along with SunsofFlame.
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It wouldn't be believable because it's depressing. That doesn't make any sense. And MOST people are definitely not depressed.
Setu_Firestorm
Music Composer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the movie "Heat", for example. The number one thing I was impressed with in that movie was that Robert De Niro wasn't portrayed as some psycho bent on destroying the world, but as a normal person with a life just like anyone elses. He chose the path of a thief, but they showed his love life, his personal life, and that made the movie very believable.

True, not everything has to be depressing. And when I used NK3 as an example, I was more referring to Ami and Kaitsu's character than Garusuke's. The character of Garusuke isn't even really developed until later in the story than Sir Phoenix got to.

That was the point I was making, Blazes.

Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/georgerpowell
Newgrounds: http://setu-firestorm.newgrounds.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Blazes Battles Inc.
I'm a chimp, not a

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never saw the movie, heh. Oookay...

Still, if the guy was supposed to be trying to destroy the world (if he was, again, never saw it) then there would HAVE to be something wrong with him. Normal people don't try to kill everyone and destroy planets.
PIcaRDMPC

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2003 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That depends on your definition of what could be wrong with him. I've seen many normal people plan to destory planets, and proceed to do so in computer games. The point is, that from Setu's description, there's nothing wrong with him at all. A combination of real world and stereotype people would probably be the best to go with, especially for a story that takes people around the world/universe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Creative Corner All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: