Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Social Gaming and Orph anage
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ravenshade

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Social Gaming and Orph anage Reply with quote

*ducks multiple bricks*

Update: 240410 This thread is headed towards the Social Gaming aspect of the game maker rather than creating an MMO. This is what the author originally meant to do but didn't know how to say it.

No no, I'm already aware that at the moment, Orph anage doesn't have the capability to produce MMO's...I was disappointed by that fact but as I was doing my assignment I decided I was bored and wanted to try my look at annoying a lotta people on a mindless discussion.

I thought that it might be a good idea, if we could create an MMORPG for Orph anage, for the primary reason, it would raise our profile a heck of a lot. The only MMORPG out there for linux (2D wise) is at best The Mana World.

Wouldn't it be a good idea if Orph anage could get a game (closed source to start off with) running that people could interact with, it has multiple benefits such as, before downloading, they could try out the playability of games made in Orph anage. That and the web traffic CastleParadox would get... (think of the advertising revenue).

Any way, just thought I'd see what everyone here thinks as a test teh water kind of thing.

Campaigning for Linux! Down with Win.exe!

PS. It's mean to replace words just because you don't like them ¬_¬ moderators...

Last edited by Ravenshade on Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:34 am; edited 5 times in total
JSH357

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get out
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since you knew to duck the bricks in advance, i think you already knew how people were likely to feel about this post.

This question is actually already covered on the wiki: Can I turn my game into a mmorpg?
TwinHamster
♫ Furious souls, burn eternally! ♫

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neutral

What a strange way to spell custom
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only MMORPG out there for linux (2D wise)

What, in my experience the majority of 2D MMO games are cross platform. Of course, I say that because I pay almost no attention to commerical games; and free software games tend to be portable.

Quote:
before downloading, they could try out the playability of games made in OHRRPGCE

That's totally different. See this thread about GMArcade
Ravenshade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@ James

Yes, the topic is partially covered in the wiki, I just wondered if there was actually any interest. MMO's. According to three dissertations that I have read (and I checked the references) MMO's are the future of gaming, since social gaming is on the way up.

I just felt that without the ability to play socially, OHRRPGCE might fall into oblivion and never truly see the light of day as a 2d game creation software platform. Oookay... After all, keeping certain software as hobbyist or a small niche tends to be a huge killer when the original developer goes missing >_>;

Thanks to you however this hasn't happened so far.

@Cacti,

I have found this too but I didn't mean as platform dependent. In the Ubuntu repositories, the only serious MMORPG game I can play (on my netbook) is TMW and I long since lost interest in that game, just too much hassle.

I can't say I've actually found a decent 2D MMORPG though... except GaiaOnline.

Also, I mispoke when I said games, I meant more of the general feel of OHRRPGCE rather than particular games.

PS. It's mean to replace words just because you don't like them ¬_¬ moderators...
Bagne
ALL YOUR NUDIBRANCH ARE BELONG TO GASTROPODA

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Way I see it, the OHR *is* social gaming in the sense that everyone here plays everyone else's games.
Social game-making I guess.

Also - were this to become an MMOOHRRPGCE project, the pronounciation would cause rioting in the streets.
... also, everyone would be working towards developing the the same game, and I don't think that's what people want. There's a few community projects, but generally people want to make their own games. (myself included)

I gotta admit though - all that OHR source code is pretty intimidating.
So if the OHR is short on developers (are we?), I can understand why.
I'd like to see that C++ build. I'll be happyx5 when the OHR starts running on my Mac OS.
Ravenshade

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a good point (mebbe I should rename this thread social gaming and orph anage). Creating games to share is probably something little thought about, we have shared art creation programs but nothing that can be interacted with after.

It would cause rioting, I agree. Till someone calls is Morphage. I also agree with the point that everyone would be making the same game genre, unless the mmo developed the ability to "plug-in" games and use them as side-stories, especially Kana-learning. (That's a genius program even if there are a few minor errors).

I believe Orpha nage is somewhat lacking on developers, but not enough to kill the project, thankfully there are enough people who believe in the project to keep it alive for another ten years I think.

Personally I think I'm hoping towards a Java build, the more I look at C++ the more I realize how platform dependent in can be. On the other hand, it should be easier to understand than freebasic. (tricky stuff...imho). Doesn't it run on mac already? I'm sure there's a windows emu tool like Wine for linux. (Hell convert to linux!)

The Wobbler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Note from Castle Paradox Administration:
This content has been removed by the user. Contact the original author and link them to this post if you wish to view the original content. Only the author can remove the tags hiding this content.
Bagne

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm. It looks like there's some FreeBasic compilers for Mac OS X out there.

I'm gonna give some of those a shot.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bagne wrote:

TMC has successfully compiled the OHRRPGCE for BSD, and Mac OS X uses a BSD core.

It will only work on Intel macs, not the older PPC macs, and we haven't figured out how to package it in a proper Mac App bundle yet.
TMC
On the Verge of Insanity

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People have asked for networking or multiplayer many times, and at least once someone offered to code it. To which James said (4 years ago) "Go ahead and give it a shot. When I say I don't want it in the main trunk, I don't mean to discourage you from trying. " Well, the opinions of the dev team are gradually becoming less "conservative" with time. I could see the engine someday having some simple networking script commands allowing, say, online high score tables. But built-in online RPG capabilities is pretty absurd.

Bagne wrote:

Google unfortunately interprets "FreeBASIC" as "free basic" and so returns mostly garbage. Pretty disappointing.

FB doesn't have a working OSX port yet. As it happens, today I checked the FB forums and saw that someone is trying to port it (no news in a week). I think he's in over his head (I don't think he's familiar with the FB source, which IMO is somewhat nightmarish and huge) but I offered to do help with the runtime library. But don't worry, I see four different ways for FB to support OS X, it *will* happen sooner or later.

EDIT: James snuck in a post (an hour) before me. I think he misunderstood that the problem with Mac OS X is that Apple made a somewhat arbitrary change to the ABI that requires some nasty changes to FB to support.

Quote:
I'm sure there's a windows emu tool like Wine for linux.
There's a Wine port for OSX called Darwine.

Quote:
I gotta admit though - all that OHR source code is pretty intimidating.
So if the OHR is short on developers (are we?), I can understand why.

Well, more would be very nice, what with wishlists stretching to the sky, but I don't feel too bad about it. And Jay turned up out of the blue a few months ago and made a heroic effort to write gfx_directx.

Yes, there's quite a bit of code, and I don't think anyone is familiar with more than half of it - everyone's writing big completely new stuff - but it's not that huge compared to other projects.
*plug* But you don't need to be familiar with more than 0.5% of the source to be able to add a new script command, for instance. *plug*

Surlaw wrote:
You don't "get" this engine. Its primary purpose is for making single player RPGs. People have expanded it beyond that, but it's still very much a retro gaming engine.

Further, if the engine has a glorious place riding "the future of gaming", I think it would probably be as an engine that creates low-spec retro single player RPGs that can run on handhelds, cellphones and wristwatches, with no scripting required.
Bob the Hamster
OHRRPGCE Developer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mad Cacti wrote:
People have asked for networking or multiplayer many times, and at least once someone offered to code it. To which James said (4 years ago) "Go ahead and give it a shot. When I say I don't want it in the main trunk, I don't mean to discourage you from trying. " Well, the opinions of the dev team are gradually becoming less "conservative" with time. I could see the engine someday having some simple networking script commands allowing, say, online high score tables. But built-in online RPG capabilities is pretty absurd.

Yes, I remember that. At the time I think the proposal was a pretty raw protocol of reading and writing ints to/from a server.

Once we have array and string data structures, I would be a little more agreeable to exploring simple networking, although I would envision it being a lot more like the multiplayer you get when linking gameboy games rather than anything like an MMO.

We shall see. It is too early to cross this bridge just yet (thought we can certainly think bridgey thoughts)
Bagne

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

FB support for OS X will eventually happen ...
darwine ...

Would you (or anyone else) recommend I try darwine? I don't know the first thing about what it does or how to use it.
The OHR is currently the only reason I use Windows. For everything else, I'm using OS X and it would be nice to switch between them without rebooting.
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bagne wrote:
Quote:

FB support for OS X will eventually happen ...
darwine ...

Would you (or anyone else) recommend I try darwine? I don't know the first thing about what it does or how to use it.
The OHR is currently the only reason I use Windows. For everything else, I'm using OS X and it would be nice to switch between them without rebooting.

On a side note, OHR runs extremely well in Parallels. With the use of Coherence or Crystal mode, it doesn't even feel like you're using Windows. Just don't try to switch to Coherence or Crystal mode if you're playing the game in full screen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> Paradox Lounge All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: