Castle Paradox Forum Index Castle Paradox

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
 Gamelist   Review List   Song List   All Journals   Site Stats   Search Gamelist   IRC Chat Room

Common Sense
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Inferior Minion
Metric Ruler

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 4:35 am    Post subject: Common Sense Reply with quote

Over the past year, there has been an overwhelming drop in civility here on Castle Paradox.

Excessive bouts of arrogance have plagued many posts. Constructive Criticism has all but disappeared. The community itself has been referred to as elitist by many disgruntled members.

This site has, for the most part, become a place of praise for older members no matter what they release and either sarcasm or disdain for anyone else.

Bans have become a far too frequent ultimatum dealt out too quickly given the offense.

For those of you who weren't aware...This is a community site.

I wanted to make this visible to the naked eye.

The goal of this site is to unite game creators and players in a friendly environment where they feel comfortable presenting their work without harsh ridicule that lacks any suggestions on improvement.

This blatant disregard for the communities new and still improving members has prompted some long overdue reform.

For starters, after countless complaints and consistent disregard for one of the few Admin rules stating that all bans must be consulted with the other admins prior to banning, Chaos Nyte and Uncommon have been stripped of their admin status.

Secondly, while the occassional one-liner will be tolerated, biased criticism will not. Posts must be constructive. You're supposed to help your fellow community members, not break their spirit.

Though it is clear that changes must be made if this community is to prosper, ideas for improvement are always welcome.

Those who seek the truth would note the 30th day of the 8th month of 2005
1,000,008% PURE

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clearly the solution to administrative difficulty is appointing a known troublestarter as IRC op.

I have major issues with the way you're running this place, but then, that's why I don't frequent it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Rinku

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i motion that fyrewulff and rinku be made admins in their place

*hides*
rpgspotKahn
Lets see...

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
i motion that fyrewulff and rinku be made admins in their place

With an attitude like that I somehow doubt that administration would be placed in your hands... lol.

Anyway, I agree with what you are saying. There have been way too many bouts and arguments about stupid things and people are just getting sick of it. Banning people is way too frequent. It doesnt really help though... a person can just join again on a different name right? So all I see banning as is a form of being a wanna-be leader, trying to show off your power to the community. Which is... dumb.

It seems things have cooled off lately though... There havent been many fights or arguments beside the recent uncommon and shadowiii bout. So things may get better, there is hope.

2nd Edition out now!
Rinku

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 5:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

was a joke (come on, didn't the "fyrewulff" and "*hides*" clue that?) -- i've mentioned many times on this forum on why i wouldn't be a good admin. but maybe you're new to the ohr and didn't know all of this
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see one of a few things (neither of which is probably going to happen, but I can still wish, eh?)

1: The abrupt end to entirely off topic and blatantly sexual posts in the non-usergroup boards, and that offenders be given a slap on the wrist for doing so.

2: An end to entirely unwarranted praise of games that clearly are not deserving of it. Absolutely awful games that nobody in their right mind would call great ARE being called just that. Some of our members are unable to tell what's sarcasm if you recall, and a number of fights have started just because of this.

3: Though stripped of their admin duties, I motion that Uncommon and CN still be included in the administrative discussion of this site due to their experience, and be granted advisory positions along with James and Rinku. We've got a wealth of leadership experience on our hands here, let's use it.
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would like to point out that this is a hostile takeover. When IM and I created this site, we agreed I would have the final say in all situations so things wouldn't come to an absurd head like this. The whole idea behind Castle Paradox was to have a bunch of people run it, so that one person couldn't abuse their power, that even I could be outvoted if the other ops felt differently from me. And now IM has chosen to steal the site for himself. I hope all of you realize that this is only going to lead to more and more bans from IM, now that he has stripped everyone capable of disagreeing with him out of power. He consulted with no one on the Admin forums about this.

There were plenty of ways he could have dealt with what he saw as an unfriendly environment here. I doubt that a hostile takeover should have been his first choice.

I'm not saying that I was the greatest admin ever, but Moogle and I first created this site. When Moogle left, I brought together all the people needed to form a community. Aeth brought in O:OHR to help, Squall brought Renzokuken, Hawk designed the review system, Misteroo created the design and IM coded it. As time went on, new members joined the staff, each bringing their unique talents and voices to the table. We've had contests, new forums added, and new members join in that time. And during all that time, the admins in the background talked and argued and convinced each other what was best for the site. Now IM has taken my trust and faith away by ignoring the very rules he holds so dear and taking all the power into his own hands. By acting so rashly, he should have taken your faith and trust in him as a good admin as well.

I hope one of my friends isn't the next person banned by IM for an "Excessive bouts of arrogance ", (since IM is now the only person with the final say if you're being excessive, or indeed, arrogant.) and "overwhelming drop in civility" (indeed, you would think removing the only other major admin’s status in the dead of night when no one is around without talking it over first would be the height of someone's "drop in civility").

I would highly suggest all CP members who don't agree to being forced under one all-powerful ruler, and who don't agree with IM's morality policing and disregard for his own "rules" to make their voices heard now. It may be your only chance to save yourself from a sudden ban on CP for not being "nice" enough to someone.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas
Halloween 2006 Creativity Winner

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a bit puzzled by this, frankly. What happened? Did I miss something? Was the thread deleted?
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was no thread, you didn't miss anything, Moogle. I'm just as in shock as you are. IM just decided to become the single top admin of CP last night because he doesn't like how I was acting, without bothering to confer with me first.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fenrir-Lunaris
WUT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaos Nyte wrote:
He consulted with no one on the Admin forums about this.

Which is true insofar as this is the first I've heard of this, though I am inclined to agree with IM on a number of points, specifically that certain community members are given too much leeway. If we had a newbie who acted like certain longstanding members, turning 90% of their posts into sexual innuendo, they'd have been banned by now.

I'm going to play Devil's advocate and say you should be given your Admin power back, or if not, then Moderator status at the least so you still have a voice in what goes on (if not already). After all, you, Moogle1, Aeth (I think?), and IM formed Castle Paradox to begin with, so you guys should know more than any of us what direction the community should be headed towards. I said it once when this site was just getting started up that you're (collectively) the captain of the ship. If it looks like this ship is about to strike rock, then the only choices you have are to jump ship, or set a new course. Frankly, the other community sites all suck at the moment, so I'll take the latter option.

Continuing with playing Devil's Advocate, I'm going to restate my case that Rinku be given some position among the staff even if it's just an advisory position. For starters, many of his personal beliefs are in direct contradiction with many of the 'negative' aspects of this community right now. I'm hoping that with an increased presence in this community that some of his better traits (reason, temperance, and mostly respect of others even if he disagrees with their opinions) would rub off on us more.

Provided these two options fail, then I'll point out that this is indeed a community site, and its greatest strength is its community. Ultimately we decide who stays or goes, what's the cool thing to do, and who are considered the 'elites' around here. WE decide.

Since we've given other people so many chances in the past, and that banner petitions seem to work in the long-run (It got Fyre back in if I recall), let's start up a new one, shall we?

Yes, I'm aware of the irony of this, shut up.
Moogle1
Scourge of the Seas

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is disappointing, to say the least. You can't throw out two admins on a whim and with no plans to replace them.

Even supposing that they were out of line, this is an extreme reaction.

I agree with many of IM's arguments. I don't think this is the solution.
WUT

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for clarification, I agree with everything IM has said EXCEPT for stripping CN and Uncommon of their powers. I also would be rooting for Uncommon, but let's take the advice of Il Pallatzo and start small, so that any setbacks we encounter will be easily overcome.
Chaos Nyte
Reviewer
Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with much of what IM has to say to, Fenrir. But again, a hostile takeover and putting himself in the only position of real power is not the way to ensure a friendly community site.
Zombie Hunter Green
Keeps on picking the Rayon Launcher

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say I agree with any of this horseshit.

Attempts to force the behavior of a "community" site indicates that that Inferior minion does not understand how a community actually operates.

Last edited by Zombie Hunter Green on Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:56 am; edited 1 time in total
jabbercat
Composer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do, I agree with it all, and I support IM and back his decisions fully.
Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Castle Paradox Forum Index -> The Soapbox All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 1 of 11

Jump to: